1.    #1  
    What software is available that will allow you to store and run software from you SD card?

Thanks
    EJ
    Zlauncher, PowerRun, and MSMount are the ones I know about.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I use PowerRun, never had any problem with it except when my Treo pukes the sd card out.
    A note on this, if you want the application to run automagically, it needs to be in main memory. Automagically would mean something like running Bob's Alarm, Poctket Tunes, et cetera. If you do not need automagical running and startup speed is not tooooo important, then it will probably do fine on the SD card. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by ejolesch
    What software is available that will allow you to store and run software from you SD card?

Thanks
    EJ
    I am not sure what you mean by "run software from SD card". But I have many of my applications on SD card and I can launch them using PALM built-in software. When want to install an app (.prc) file on a card, I double click on the .prc file on my pc, this brings up the install tool then I use "change destination" so that app will be installed in card instead of RAM. A limitation of this approach is that PALM software does not allow you to assign categories to apps on the card. Other than that, I haven't found any limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    A note on this, if you want the application to run automagically, it needs to be in main memory. Automagically would mean something like running Bob's Alarm, Poctket Tunes, et cetera. If you do not need automagical running and startup speed is not tooooo important, then it will probably do fine on the SD card. Ben
    This is a big one, so I'll re-itterate it.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

It is a big concern and has caught many people before. Launching via the launcer is hunky dory for most programs, though a few still want to be in main memory. If it is to launch in conjunction with another program (like Call Filter using Pocket Tunes to launch a sound file), it has to be in main memory.

Also a note, I stopped using the fancy launchers that store things on the SD card 'cause I just got so tired of having to reenter registration numbers for ebooks. What a pain that got. So I just keep my book readers in main memory and the ebooks themselves on the SD card.

Ben
    I run a ton of programs from my SD Card using Launcher X with absolutely no problems. Haven't had any problems with registration numbers either, although I bclinger makes a good point re: background apps.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I like PowerRun - very easy to use and it's quite transparent, since app icon still sits on the main launcher page (as a "shortcut")
    Can powerRun work with Audible Player?
    I don't understand why anyone uses powerrun. It was necessary when sd cards first came out. Now pretty much all launchers allow you to run from the sd card - and most are cheaper than powerrun.

Launcher x certainly allows you to make a shortcut if you want to use the built-in launcher for some reason.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Applications that have conduits also need to remain in main memory or the conduit will not get activated at hotsync time (Hotsync only runs apps where it can match up an app with the same creator ID in main memory. It won't look on a storage card). Some launchers provide "stubs" that fake out HotSync, but those only work if the application itself is not activated at hotsync time to perform a task (such as sorting, moving, or gathering info). The stub won't perform the task for the app, nor will it load the app from the storage card so that it can.
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    I don't understand why anyone uses powerrun. It was necessary when sd cards first came out. Now pretty much all launchers allow you to run from the sd card - and most are cheaper than powerrun.

Launcher x certainly allows you to make a shortcut if you want to use the built-in launcher for some reason.
    I've been using PowerRun for several years now and I am a registered user of both LauncherX and ZLauncher -- both fine launchers.

1. PowerRun is launcher independent.
    You can execute a shortcut created by LX or ZL from the default launcher but the code will not be cleared out of RAM if you don't have LX or ZL in control.

2. PowerRun moves both apps AND data
    The biggest RAM hogs are often the data associated with an app and not the app itself. When you run a PowerRun shortcut, it brings all of the associated data to RAM. When you exit the PowerRun app, it moves all of the changes made to the data back to the card. The time it takes to move the data back and forth depends on the size of the data and the number of files. I've found with the faster Palm devices and SD cards, the RAM savings is worth the second or two of loading time. I have 40 apps being loaded via PowerRUN -- here are a few:

Bebop - 145K app, 131K data
    Diet Diary - 349K app, 29K data
    Minipolis - 503K app, 168K data
    OmniRemote - 233k app, 130 data

Note: ZL allows you create a shortcut that will move both apps and data to the card and works just like PowerRun in that regard. However, you must use ZL to launch those shortcuts (see #1).

No, I'm not pushing PowerRun. In fact, if I didn't purchase it so many years ago, I'd check out Tealalias instead. The point is that PowerRun helps keep my RAM clean of extraneous and often unrecognizable files created by the many 3rd party apps I like to run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I've been using PowerRun for several years now and I am a registered user of both LauncherX and ZLauncher -- both fine launchers.
    2. PowerRun moves both apps AND data
    The biggest RAM hogs are often the data associated with an app and not the app itself. When you run a PowerRun shortcut, it brings all of the associated data to RAM. When you exit the PowerRun app, it moves all of the changes made to the data back to the card. The time it takes to move the data back and forth depends on the size of the data and the number of files. I've found with the faster Palm devices and SD cards, the RAM savings is worth the second or two of loading time. I have 40 apps being loaded via PowerRUN -- here are a few:
    Thnaks for the explanation - I now see at least -some- value in one of the biggest selling apps!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    I use SilverScreen 3.3 but it has a very strange but reproducible problem. When I install onto the SD on my treo 600, SS resets the machine if I select the 'unfiled' category. The only workaround seems to be to uninstall and reinstall SS. Pocketsensei has not been able to figure out what the problem is. It doesn't happen every time I install to the card, but when it does...
  16. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    It is a big concern and has caught many people before. Launching via the launcer is hunky dory for most programs, though a few still want to be in main memory. If it is to launch in conjunction with another program (like Call Filter using Pocket Tunes to launch a sound file), it has to be in main memory.

Also a note, I stopped using the fancy launchers that store things on the SD card 'cause I just got so tired of having to reenter registration numbers for ebooks. What a pain that got. So I just keep my book readers in main memory and the ebooks themselves on the SD card.

Ben
    I just got my 650 last week and have never used ebooks, but I would like to. Is it possible to read an ebook on the 650 without installing a book reading program? If not, does one program do it all or do you need a different one for each ebook provider?