spoke with orange today to purchase a treo 600 and was told that there was no more treo 600 in stock... end of production , i asked if the treo 650 was on the card and told yes be no date :
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I read this as GOOD news. Orange were very early adopters of the 600 (they had an exclusive distribution agreement in Europe) so I'm guessing they will be very fast in bringing out the 650.
    i hope so my fingers are getting mighty itchyyyy
    In order for the Treo to become a success in Europe, PalmOne needs to launch the whole Treo line with all major operators. With Orange dropping the 600, my guess is that others will pick it up (if not the 650 as well). However, PalmOne has clearly stated that its product policy aims at a wide range of products with different features and prices - aimed at different types of customers. One would think that Orange's move to disontinue the 600 would not be appreciated by PalmOne...
    Quote Originally Posted by abookas
    In order for the Treo to become a success in Europe, PalmOne needs to launch the whole Treo line with all major operators. With Orange dropping the 600, my guess is that others will pick it up (if not the 650 as well). However, PalmOne has clearly stated that its product policy aims at a wide range of products with different features and prices - aimed at different types of customers. One would think that Orange's move to disontinue the 600 would not be appreciated by PalmOne...
    perhaps they're discontinuing it because palm are either stopping making it or have told Orange that the treo 650 will be out soon and there are no more stocks of 600 left ??
    In order for the Treo to become a success in Europe, PalmOne needs to launch the whole Treo line with all major operators. ...
    Perhaps. However, I have no interest in the success of P1 or the Treo. My interest and theirs diverged when they wiped out my investment. The 600 is a success in spite of evertyhing P1 could do to mess it up and it took me more than six months to get an unlocked GSM one for $750. Anyone who really wants a 650 should hope that it lands with the expected thud.

I have a trip to London scheduled for April. Perhaps, if Orange is an early supporter, I will be able to pick up a 650 for about that many pounds sterling.
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    perhaps they're discontinuing it because palm are either stopping making it
    PalmOne will continue manufacturing the Treo600, as confirmed with different sources. This is their approach at having a low-end and a high-end model in the Treo 6XX line-up.

whmurray (are you related to murrayalex ) - I agree with you. I've stopped caring too much about PalmOne's fate. However it is good to know that there's alternatives on the handheld/smartphone market. I therefore hope that competitions stays alive to drive innovation & price - whatever competition that is.

My guess is you'd be better off if you got a Treo 650 in the UK with a contract. I'd expect it to go on sale at various retailers for about 100 pounds with a 12-month contract (monthly rate of 30 pounds, which you can lower to 15 pounds after four months). That should bring your total costs down to less than 400 pounds.
    My guess is you'd be better off if you got a Treo 650 in the UK with a contract. I'd expect it to go on sale at various retailers for about 100 pounds with a 12-month contract (monthly rate of 30 pounds, which you can lower to 15 pounds after four months). That should bring your total costs down to less than 400 pounds.
    So for 400 pounds I get the phone, an Orange SIM that I do not even have to use, and then put in my T-mo SIM and use and pay T-mo as usual. I will pay Orange less than I might pay for the phone alone on the street. If I understand the proposition, it sounds like a good deal. I pay Orange monthly for 12 mos so they are financing my purchase. Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    So for 400 pounds I get the phone, an Orange SIM that I do not even have to use, and then put in my T-mo SIM and use and pay T-mo as usual. I will pay Orange less than I might pay for the phone alone on the street. If I understand the proposition, it sounds like a good deal. I pay Orange monthly for 12 mos so they are financing my purchase. Cool.
    You will need to pay the 12 months upfront to get them to unlock it...
    I emailed orange about when they would be getting the 650 and was emailed a very terse reponse simply saying "we have no plans to offer the treo650 in the near future"

Is this just the usual corporate bs or perhaps a sign they won't be offering the 650 at all? If I were to buy the 650 in the states would it cause any problems using it back here in the UK on orange?
    Just spoke to a couple of Orange Shops in London and the answer was consistent; If it passes the tests then they see no reason why they will not stock it.

However, they do not have a date and can confirm if they were going to stock it for next week release, they would have been told already. Also would not confirm it was being tested, but I think they know and I think they will be cuase they would have been a much shorter NO no plans bye bye type answer...

So there is hope...
    -----------------------------
    Adzo
    Treo since November 2003!

Still got the original.....
    Orange never sold the damn thing in the Netherlands, I had to get it from the UK. I hope I can get a Treo 650 from Europe... .