1.    #1  
    I just got an invoice for $500 from Verizon for my new Treo. I have an unlimited data plan. Over use was found to be from data use (web browsing) where the phone kept using minutes even though I thought I signed off. Verizon advised me that I must re-boot the phone after web browsing to avoid this kind of billing. Anyone know of a more elegant workaround, a browser that shuts down better or other software fix to avoid the need to cycle the phone off after web usage?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I to have Verizon and recieved a Bill for $1,700. They said that the unlimited plans I signed up for didn't take. The bill said I used 3600 minutes. That is a hell of alot of minutes. I guess I need to do the reboot thing also. They said they would credit my account.

Doesn't "unlimited" mean "unlimited"? Why are you getting additional charges?
  3.    #3  
    If I understood them correctly, I have unlimited data access. However, web use also uses minutes somehow. This results in the outrageous bill. I discussed with the representative and they are going to recalculate my usage and issue a credit. You should call for the same.
    Use Battery Doctor and TreoHelper - both work nicely to turn off data on the Treo automatically.
    Rostern,
    I'm questioning everything the rep told you and I think Bopper's explanation makes more sense. Your unlimited data plan was probably not implemented correctly. Did you hear the same thing from more than one rep? You should get the same story from each rep but that has not been my experience.

The reboot thing does not make any sense to me.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. (something I'd expect a moronic Sprint rep to say, not a Verizon rep) The browser doesn't transfer any data if you're not actively using it; a re-boot wouldn't matter.
    THIS IS INSANE! There is something HORRIBLY wrong with the Verizon network if they are telling you that!

Marc
    This reminds me of when the VW dealership mechanic told my cousin that he didn't have an oil leak but that the Jetta are designed to burn off all their oil every 5000 miles.

What a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by rostern58
    I just got an invoice for $500 from Verizon for my new Treo. I have an unlimited data plan. Over use was found to be from data use (web browsing) where the phone kept using minutes even though I thought I signed off. Verizon advised me that I must re-boot the phone after web browsing to avoid this kind of billing. Anyone know of a more elegant workaround, a browser that shuts down better or other software fix to avoid the need to cycle the phone off after web usage?
    Goto system- preferences - network- click on disconnect

Jeff
    Verizon has a problem. If they do not set up an unlimited plan correctly, it registers both as data kbites used and as minutes to some weird number. If you get a detailed bill you can see the same weird number over and over. And tons of minutes mostly because of the rounding up to the next whole minute.

Eventually, they will correct your bill so you only get charged for phone (and sms & mms) and the internet data will be unlimited and will show in your phone bill as data.

The Treo records minutes used and data used Go phone / log (center button) /up two to call log (center button) then down at the botom of the screen is totals.

Another short comming is that when you clear totals, you start over and there is no running total for the phone.

The good news is that the call log goes on forever or ??
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    When I first bought my Treo in July the Verizon rep failed to turn on the data plan even though I ordered it. I noticed my minutes going up dramatically on their website after a few days (where you can log in and check your usage). I called and they turned on the data plan and it has worked fine ever since just be having Snappermail automatically disconnect each time and disconnecting manually in the web browser. When the Treo is connected for data, you have green bars over the phone signal strenght bars. So you can easily see when its disconnected.
    Re-booting would not be an accteptable answer to me. It's either a phone problem or a network problem...but either way...it's not YOUR problem.

I would freaking lose it if a customer service rep told me this.
    Althought I would say that verizon screwed up in implenting your unlimited data plan it's not hard at all to just disconnect the internet after your done. I pay for no internet every month and never gone over my minutes because I just disconnect when I'm done. But if you pay for unlimited internet then you should not be charged at all and your rep did not set it up correctly
    Jeff has it right. You have to disconnect from the data network. Either use system preferences or it can be done from one of the menus within Blazer.

No need to reboot.
    I too recently added a Treo 600 to my Verizon plan. If you have the "unlimited" data paln, you should not be charged for any data minutes. The CSR was wrong. The only reason you're getting charged is that they didn't set up your data plan correctly. If you have the unlimited plan, there should be no reason to disconnect as some people have suggested. That's precisely the reason you bought the unlimited plan, rather than just using minutes. Those VZW users that are disconnecting every time they access the data network, if my memory serves, were users who did not have the data plan, or had it set up incorrectly. Call back, have VZW fix it.
  16.    #16  
    I see the light. I will call VZW tomorrow, get a better CSR and make sure they have the unlimited data use set up correctly. They already have volunteered to credit my account.