Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blaine is a little flakey...Bellingham and beyond is fine. Roaming in AT&T...but the Roger's roaming rates will leave your jaw on the floor.
    You are right about that, their phone line-up sucks. I wonder who will have the Motorola RAZR, nice looking phone.

Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I'll tell you Telus' "secret"...I think they order all of thier phones out of a 1999 catalog! LOL...those guys are sooooo behind the times I don't even think they get it. If they come out with the Treo 650 in some kind of timely manner I will be amazed.

I am a Roger's user...not by choice because their roaming rates and customer service absolutely sucks...but because they seem to always get an exclusive (or at least be first) on the Treo in Canada. I would consider Telus if they had the 650 (but I would miss my European roaming)...or I would even prefer to jump back to Fido...although I am sure their service will soon go down and rates will go up now that they are part of Rogers.
    The reception is terrible in Blaine. My wife has to go down there every few weeks and had NO signal with Rogers (not a Treo). We had to get her a Telus phone.

Mike
    I went to Bell mobility today in Vancouver and asked if I purchased a treo 650 cdma unlocked from Europe if it would work, since they have/sell the treo 600.
    They just dont have the 650 yet nor do they know when.
    They told me that maybe 80 percent off the capabilities would work.
    Anyone else think treo 650 cdma would work with Bell mobility service??
    Exactly where in Europe would you go to buy an unlocked CDMA phone???

Quote Originally Posted by 12charlie
    I went to Bell mobility today in Vancouver and asked if I purchased a treo 650 cdma unlocked from Europe if it would work, since they have/sell the treo 600.
    They just dont have the 650 yet nor do they know when.
    They told me that maybe 80 percent off the capabilities would work.
    Anyone else think treo 650 cdma would work with Bell mobility service??
    Philips PR95 (NMT) > Nokia 232 (AMPS) > Nokia 5190 & 5110 (GSM) > Ericsson R520m (unlocked GSM) > Treo 650 (unlocked GSM) on Fido
    I have a Contact in Europe, but what I am worried about if it will actually work??
    Would not want to spend $$ and find it wont work with Bell mobility.
    I was hoping someone has tried to use a treo 650 with Bell network here in Canada and what was there outcome??
    I didn't think there were any CDMA networks anywhere in Europe, so why would someone have an "unlocked cdma" phone in Europe. For that matter I didn't think there was such thing as locked/unlocked CDMA phones. I know that with CDMA your phone must be provisioned to the carriers network and if you switch providers you have to go through the process with the new provider of binding the phone to their network (unlike a sim card in the case of GSM phones which are locked to keep people from taking advantage of handset discounts and then using the phone with another carriers sim card they pop in.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Boobookins, I'm with you. I don't think you can "unlock" a CDMA phone. I asked Bell about this a while back, they said they can activate a phone in analog mode only. Even if you *wanted* to do this with a Treo, you couldn't as it doesn't support analog.

Mike
    Thanks for posts, I must have misunderstood my contact, he mentioned he had new unlocked treo 650 gsm and cdma.
    Anyways, say if I was to purchase a brand new virgin in the box treo 650 cdma
    would it work with Bell mobility?? or am I better to wait it out?
    Thanks for the help
    It would not work on Bell, they will not activate the phone for you unless they sold it to you. GSM (Rogers) is different, you just buy a SIM card from Rogers and plug it into an unlocked GSM handset and it works.

Mike
    I'd like to be able to buy a FIDO sim card and use it with an unlocked GSM Treo.

The idea being that I could use a cheap FIDO or cityFIDO plan when in Vancouver for personal calls - then swap in my corporate Rogers GSM sim card when using the phone for business or travelling.

Will this even work? Can you swap SIM cards and flip flop between plans this way?

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee42
    I'd like to be able to buy a FIDO sim card and use it with an unlocked GSM Treo.

The idea being that I could use a cheap FIDO or cityFIDO plan when in Vancouver for personal calls - then swap in my corporate Rogers GSM sim card when using the phone for business or travelling.

Will this even work? Can you swap SIM cards and flip flop between plans this way?

Cheers!
    I do it. I use Fido for the unlimited data package and use Rogers for voice. Just make sure you turn off the cell connection be/w swapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee42

Cheers!
    It absolutely should work. The minutes you spend are against the SIM card, so when you have the FIDO SIM card in the phone you will be using your FIDO minutes (and the phone will ring when someone calls your FIDO number,) and then when you swap you Rogers SIM card into the phone the phone will now ring when someone calls your Rogers work number and you will be using your Rogers minutes. (People often take their GSM phones to Europe and in Europe pick up cheap local SIM cards to use in order to avoid expensive Internation roaming charges.)

That, and the ability to switch phones on the fly is a real bonus of GSM. (I have a little Sony Ericsson T68i which I plan to use when I go to a party or something where I don't want to carry something like a Treo.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Hi everyone. I am a little uneducated in the technology department. I would really like to have a Treo 650 for use with Rogers. I was reading here that you can just use a SIM card in an unlocked GSM 650. If I already have a cellphone account would I be able to just take it out of that and out it into a 650 and use it? Do I have to phone Rogers and let them know? I just don't know how this works so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anitanium
    i've had no problems with my 600 and rogers
    signal strength is strong everywhere i go
    Rogers is terrible. Not only do they have very uncompetitive rate plans, but I continue to hit dead zones, drop calls, network problems. I would switch but it would be too much of a hassle to change the cell phone number on my business cards etc.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    When I got my T6oo back in April 2004, I went through the entire set up process with Palm, Rogers etc. It took a while and I scarcely remember how I ended up with half of what I have. I seem to recall that I do not use the preinstalled email software, and I use a program called Get Mail. Is this a Rogers requirement? The server to get email seems to work only half the time. I'll try and synch for email retrieval and more times than not, I am unable to get new messages. Other times it downloads new emails fine. Anyone have any ideas? Also, I use a program called "Today v2.1" I like the format, but half of it seems useless. It shows the date, time, owner info and appointments. There is an icon of an envelope, which should tell me about any mail I might have. It always reads "No unread messages" and "No unsent messages". Is this because it is not compatible with Get Mail?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12