Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There have been a number of reports of details that seem a bit confusing. Some have reported VGA (640x480) Cameras, others have actually captured screen shots depicting 24MB of available RAM. While still others report 1.3MP cameras and yet more reports that perhaps there will be 64MB of RAM on-board. So what gives? Who's right? Well, maybe all of them. Here's a theory (again, a "Theory")...

It's not uncommon for manufactuers to have several prototype runs for testing on various networks/configurations. It is possible that the cameras between the T600/650 are interchangable (from an assembly standpoint) and to save money on a prototype units, retrofit a T600 camera on a T650 pre-production unit. Or it may be that the supply of 1.3MP cameras was not available for that particular run of prototypes.

This could also explain the different colored units we have seen. A prototype unit could be clearly marked not for re-sale by means of the color of the chasis. Just a thought (I could be entirely wrong here) though there might be several additional reasons for doing it this way:

* Cut costs on pre-production units
    * Parts shortages on the new 1.3 MP camera at the time of prototype run
    * Don't want the true production specs to be leaked
    * Confusion could be good just prior to a new product release, it will keep customers considering/buying current products (i.e. T600)
    * Focus only on the technologies needed to test the phone (i.e. CDMA/GSM) on the associated network (SPCS, TMobile, etc.)

Who knows, the actual production units may have more memory (64MB) and the 1.3MP camera. Until we see a unit in the box that states "TREO 650" with the specifications, there is a chance that any information we read here could differ from a production unit. Take the reports you read here with a grain of salt until you see the "Box" labeled "Treo 650" In fact, it might be more informative to see a picture of the Treo 650 box than it would the actual device. Only then would you have hard evidence that what you are seeing is a production unit.

Just my .02 ...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Except for the case of the 600 where the "box" says "future bluetooth capability with add-in card" hehe

Everyone needs to chill out.... Look at all the people here with the 'far inferior Treo 600' and how happy they are -- I'm sure everyone will get to love the 650 no matter what it is.

and if ya dont, return it and find something better instead of complaining
    Eh, I don't think people will just love the Treo 650 just because it's the Treo 600. From what I've read there are a lot of competing phones.

And that box says future wifi as well, which is all I want, so I'm freaking out!!!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    I think I'd feel like a real ***** if I buy the Treo 650 and find myself in the same situation over wifi as I did with bluetooth.

In every other respect I think I'd rather have the Treo 650 over other devices. It also seems that Orange will be bringing out the M2000 (MDA III) sooner than the Treo 650.

Which ever way I go I could regret it. I'm actually quite tempted to go for a Pocket PC just to try something different. I can always go back to Palm in future if I don't like it. As a huge Mac fan, I'm fully aware how limiting it can be to only consider products by one company. It gets very frustrating seeing all the stuff that's available for Windows. However, I love Macs so much I'm willing to make that sacrafice. I'm not sure I can say the same for Palm however.
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    As a huge Mac fan, I'm fully aware how limiting it can be to only consider products by one company. It gets very frustrating seeing all the stuff that's available for Windows. However, I love Macs so much I'm willing to make that sacrafice. I'm not sure I can say the same for Palm however.
    Hey,
    I'm also a Mac person and was wondering if you knew how Win OS phones worked when syncing with OS X. Is there any integration at all? If not, it would be pointless for me as most of my data is on my PowerBook, which I would like to have on my PDA/phone. I have a Nokia 3650 and was using a Palm IIIc, (yeah I know it's old) but I can't fit all that crap in my pockets. So, I just sync my Nokia via Bluetooth with iCal and Address Book. It just sucks not being able to put in new events, Tasks, etc. on my Nokia like I could on a Palm.
    So, I guess the question is:
    Is there a non-Palm alternative for the OS X user? Any rumors about a new Apple Newton type product in the works?
    try www.markspace.com for the solution.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I can say that I've gotten a few to ride the Treo "6" bandwagon. They saw my 600 and was so amazed.....they went out and bought a few of them. Some are even waiting for the 650. RIDE THE TREO WAVE!!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Hey,
    I'm also a Mac person and was wondering if you knew how Win OS phones worked when syncing with OS X. Is there any integration at all? If not, it would be pointless for me as most of my data is on my PowerBook, which I would like to have on my PDA/phone. I have a Nokia 3650 and was using a Palm IIIc, (yeah I know it's old) but I can't fit all that crap in my pockets. So, I just sync my Nokia via Bluetooth with iCal and Address Book. It just sucks not being able to put in new events, Tasks, etc. on my Nokia like I could on a Palm.
    So, I guess the question is:
    Is there a non-Palm alternative for the OS X user? Any rumors about a new Apple Newton type product in the works?
    There have been vague rumours of an Apple product over the past few years but I think it's pretty unlikely. Certainly nothing I would allow to affect my decisions at the moment. Should something become available I'd probably change like a shot, whatever the cost. However, I'm not going to be without or wait in the meantime.

Pocket PC devices offer no Mac support whatsoever. However, there are at least 2 products, namely PocketMac and Mark/Space's Missing Sync that appear to offer very comprehensive integration with Mac OS X.

I have managed to find some weaknesses. In particular Adobe Reader for Palm installs an app on the Palm device as well as on the Mac. This allows transfer of files to the Palm device. Adobe's Pocket PC equivalent only comes with a Windows installer. While PocketMac/Missing Sync offer a means of installing such software on the handheld device, it doesn't provide the Mac software that allows you to interact with it. I haven't used a Pocket PC device, so I'm not sure how significant an issue this is - hopefully with bluetooth and wifi it should be fairly simple to transfer pdf files across without needing the Adobe software on the Mac. What I am a little wary of is whether there may be other similar issues that I haven't yet discovered.

The other problem is that as far as I can tell, neither PocketMac or Missing Sync support the MDA III yet. Whereas presumably the Treo 650 will immediately allow (it's crude implementation of) sync with the mac, with PocketPC devices it may be a case of having to wait for these third party companies to update their software. When contacting them I haven't found them to be particularly helpful - so again I'm a little hesitant to depend on third party companies. I suppose at least there are 2 of them to choose from if one goes under.
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    I think I'd feel like a real ***** if I buy the Treo 650 and find myself in the same situation over wifi as I did with bluetooth.

In every other respect I think I'd rather have the Treo 650 over other devices. It also seems that Orange will be bringing out the M2000 (MDA III) sooner than the Treo 650.

Which ever way I go I could regret it. I'm actually quite tempted to go for a Pocket PC just to try something different. I can always go back to Palm in future if I don't like it. As a huge Mac fan, I'm fully aware how limiting it can be to only consider products by one company. It gets very frustrating seeing all the stuff that's available for Windows. However, I love Macs so much I'm willing to make that sacrafice. I'm not sure I can say the same for Palm however.
    I have used PalmOs based smart phones since the 6035 (kyo). While I have owned PPC devices (jornada 548 and 820), never a phone based on PPC. But I too am considering a move from the Palm world if the T650 is a little more than what some are reporting. I am also considering the XDAIII and the MPx. The XDA looks like a very sweet device, and the only think holding me back is the size.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    I am also considering the XDAIII and the MPx. The XDA looks like a very sweet device, and the only think holding me back is the size.
    Size is always the problem. Even the MPX 300 (from the videos posted on the net) looks to be larger than the Kyo 7135, and the XDA (and even new HP) are all "old" iPaq size or bigger. Worse yet, I'm still wedded to Sprint (because of the better data service) and these new developments are all GSM.

What we really need is a Samsung i500 size flip phone with the whole top of the clamshell as a OLED screen (minimum bezel), WiFi, bluetooth, EV-DO speed and unlimited internet for $25 per month.

My guess is we'll see that in about 2011 (seven year itch?)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    I have used PalmOs based smart phones since the 6035 (kyo). While I have owned PPC devices (jornada 548 and 820), never a phone based on PPC. But I too am considering a move from the Palm world if the T650 is a little more than what some are reporting. I am also considering the XDAIII and the MPx. The XDA looks like a very sweet device, and the only think holding me back is the size.
    I don't think you will find lower price on MPX, if that's what you are looking for. If/when MPX comes out, the price is rumored to be close to $1000 before rebates.
    I hate to say it, but cost is a secondary consideration. Particularly here in the UK where they are so heavily subsidised by the carriers. I've seen the SPV M2000 advertised (even though it's not yet available) for less than 150 on a 200 minutes per month contract.

I probably mis-read Rome's post, I assumed they meant if the specs weren't much better than those that have been leaked.

By the way, on the PalmOne site, the wifi card still isn't shown as being compatible with the T5. Is this likely to be the case with the Treo 650. Even when the 650 is announced, is it going to be just as difficult to find out if the wifi card will work? For me that will be THE most important part of the announcement of the Treo 650 is whether the wifi card will work with it (assuming wifi isn't built in). As mentioned above, I want to see it in black and white that wifi WILL work. I won't settle for 'may be available in future' that I fell for last year.
    here it is:

The Treo 650 will not support Wi-Fi.

Period.

Cry and get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    here it is:

The Treo 650 will not support Wi-Fi.

Period.

Cry and get over it.
    I meant 'official' confirmation, not just someones opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele

Or in the IDIOTIC words of our diptish president...
    "Fool me once...uh...shame on you? Fool me twice...uh...well you can't fool me again."

What a lamo.

And as for everyone else who don't know crap about the 650, and they "heard" from another forum, that someone else said from another post, found a rumor that the 650 has XYZ, and insist in regurgitating the truth by typing it here...SHUT THE KCUF UP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOVE
    Or in the IDIOTIC words of our diptish president...
    "Fool me once...uh...shame on you? Fool me twice...uh...well you can't fool me again."

What a lamo.

And as for everyone else who don't know crap about the 650, and they "heard" from another forum, that someone else said from another post, found a rumor that the 650 has XYZ, and insist in regurgitating the truth by typing it here...SHUT THE KCUF UP!!!
    My oh my, we have another intellectual giant among us (right up there with " I voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it!"). Maybe you and Seldom can start a debating society. You can't even envision that the purpose of these forums, beyond sharing solutions, is to entertain one another with rumor mongering.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    wow jove. for a new TC member you sure are making friends fast. why don't you take your trash and go somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    wow jove. for a new TC member you sure are making friends fast. why don't you take your trash and go somewhere else.
    I'll second that.
    It has be moved and seconded. May we have a vote?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Eh, I don't think people will just love the Treo 650 just because it's the Treo 600. From what I've read there are a lot of competing phones.

And that box says future wifi as well, which is all I want, so I'm freaking out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joebar99
    Except for the case of the 600 where the "box" says "future bluetooth capability with add-in card" hehe

Everyone needs to chill out.... Look at all the people here with the 'far inferior Treo 600' and how happy they are -- I'm sure everyone will get to love the 650 no matter what it is.

and if ya dont, return it and find something better instead of complaining

Blown completely out of proportion. It says nothing of future development. It says,

"Integrated SD/MMC Slot
    Integrated SD/MMC Slot lets you add content and memory and supports SDIO for additional functionality, including third-party *developed* Bluetooth and WiFi cards (sold seperately through select retailers"

IMHO that means that the drivers and cards have to be manufactured by the aforementioned third-party. Unfortunately, palmOne cannot control companies that do not belong to them, making these cards completely theoretical (for lack of a better word). palmOne has clearly not mentioned development by them either, ruling out the possibility there. So it is all speculation at this point for development on the 600, however with the 650 rolling out soon enough, there might not be any development on the 600. So my guess would be A) There is no "promise" for a WiFi or Bluetooth future for the 600 and B) Chances are there never will be now. Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast