Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    EDGE Speeds: While the bit rate of the EDGE network is three times as fast as GPRS, practically speaking EDGE is not quite as fast because some of the increased speed is used for error correction.
    ------------------------------------------
    http://supportattws.primus.com/aws/r...pt=EDGE#Goto61
    Use the CNET website to test current speed of your Treo 600:

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html
    Wow man that stinks...i know with the Nokia 6230b on the rogers network, i have friends who hit the cielign speed of 150kbps
    EDGE Speeds: While the bit rate of the EDGE network is three times as fast as GPRS, practically speaking EDGE is not quite as fast because some of the increased speed is used for error correction.

Under ideal conditions, the following maximum possible speeds are achievable:

Outdoor RSSI
    (Average C/I)*
    Outdoor Throughput
    (Download/Upload)**
    -70 dBM or better 130 kbps
    -80 to -70 dBM 108 kbps
    -90 to -80 dBM 52 kbps
    -100 to -90 dBM Signal useable 85% of the time.
    -110 to -100 Signal useable 50% of the time.

Indoor RSSI
    (Average C/I)*
    Indoor Throughput
    (Download/Upload)**
    -85 to -75 dBM 130 kbps
    -95 to -85 dBM 87 kbps
    -105 to -95 dBM 38 kbps
    -115 to -105 dBM Signal useable 50% of the time.
    -125 to -115 dBM Mostly unusable.

this is the info from AWS site
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    To those of us that don't know RSSI or dBM (and yes I'm software engineer, so I'm fairly technical), this means little or nothing. What I do make of it is that perhaps on average it's no better than what people get with Vision.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    To those of us that don't know RSSI or dBM (and yes I'm software engineer, so I'm fairly technical), this means little or nothing. What I do make of it is that perhaps on average it's no better than what people get with Vision.
    --------------------------------------------
    If GPRS is 64kbs under ideal circumstance (reality 8-20kbs) then I am not certain you will see a 100% increase in speeds using the Edge network. AT&T will soon abandon the Edge once it fully deploys it UTMS network. This network is alread running in the SF Bay Area.

(see related story) AT&T said it will offer wireless data speeds of 220 to 320 kilobits-per-second (kbps), adding that UMTS can be upgraded to HSDPA (high speed downlink packet access), which delivers peak data rates up to 14.4 megabits-per-second (mbps). http://wireless.newsfactor.com/perl/story/25956.html

The advantage in using the Treo 600 or 650 will be in the use of customized sites such as: http://www.treomobile.com and of course, www.avantgo.com
    Exactly. I frequently connect at 145kbps with PDANET.
    yeah, GPRS was great 4 years ago, but 28k is slow now
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    100thmonkey i kinda disagree with you

based on the research im doing for the hofo egprs explained paper, the maximal attainable speed of a GSM handset with EGPRS, is that of a class 10 8-psk modulation setting; ie 236.6 kbps

However, because of this rate, and well the demand on the network to give it, providers, like rogers, caps theirs at like 150 --> 180

the handsets at present which have the 236.6kbps class 10 rating, are the following: SE 710a, Nokia 9500 Communicator (aka the brick, soon my new baby), and the Nokia 6230
    I have no idea what edge is. Could you tell me?

Also is EDGE only used in GSM networks or can CDMA networks use EDGE also?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    I have no idea what edge is. Could you tell me?

Also is EDGE only used in GSM networks or can CDMA networks use EDGE also?

Triple X... GPRS, Edge and UMTS are all wireless data technologies that run on a GSM network. GPRS is the slowest, Edge is the middle speed and UMTS is the fastest.

Hofo...the Edge technology has had a very brief rollout. I respect your disagreement. However, if you've read all the links AT&T say themselves that their GSM based Edge technology is not significantly fast. Hence, AT&T wireless thinks enough of UMTS technology to have spent millions to deploy in the SF Bay from San Jose to Oakland. (see related story) AT&T said it will offer wireless data speeds of 220 to 320 kilobits-per-second (kbps), adding that UMTS can be upgraded to HSDPA (high speed downlink packet access), which delivers peak data rates up to 14.4 megabits-per-second (mbps). http://wireless.newsfactor.com/perl/story/25956.html
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38

Triple X... GPRS, Edge and UMTS are all wireless data technologies that run on a GSM network. GPRS is the slowest, Edge is the middle speed and UMTS is the fastest.

How does that compare tp a CDMA network?
    Eh, I was under the impression that EDGE was faster than Vision on Sprint (CDMA), but it doesn't seem like a huge increase. Please correct me if I'm off.

FWIW, I'd be looking for a huge upgrade in data speed (real 3G speeds) to give up my $10 unlimited 2.5G plan with Sprint.
  13.    #13  
    Triple X...I am directing you to an old link that descirbes the advantages and disadvantages of CDMA versus GSM in the SF Bay area. It's useful because if clarifies many of the characteristics of CDMA versus GSM through comparisons. It's an "old" link and some of the items or carrier information has changed as many have upgraded their networks. http://nordicgroup.us/ssub/voicequal.htm

Bmacfarland....I don't think it makes a difference. The Edge is not going to give you that much of a speed boost. It will take 2:50 seconds to load Ebay instead of 3:20 seconds to load Ebay. Keep Sprint! Have you read what ATTWS said on their website about the Edge.

http://supportattws.primus.com/aws/...rpt=EDGE#Goto61
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/13/2004 at 02:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Edge, is only SLIGHTLY faster that 1xrtt. It basically puts GSM carriers equal to CDMA. Small steps are still steps.
  15.    #15  
    Is3mach...my point precisely. A new Treo 650 equipped with GSM/EDGE capability will not be significantly faster than Sprint CDMA today. The advantage to using a Treo is when you can surf sites designed and customized for Treos like http://www.treomobile.com/ I would really like to see the smartpages.com redesigned to be treo fast and friend.
    Maybe I am wrong, but isn't it a little self serving for AT&T to run down EDGE performance, as they are in the process of jumping to UMTS?
  17. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Regarding the speed difference we have been discussing, this is what I found at the end of the article that was referenced at the beginning of this thread.

"EDGE is yet another option that enterprises now have for improving the productivity of mobile workers," said Tole Hart, Gartner's principal analyst for mobile and wireless issues.

"It is AT&T's answer to the 1xRTT (CDMA2000) data offerings of cellular competitors, such as Verizon and Sprint," Hart told NewsFactor. "Overall, the experience that wireless users get from EDGE and 1xRTT is pretty much the same."
    So damn it! When I buy my Treo 650 do I want CDMA or GSM?
    in terms of speed this is the comparison

GPRS < 1x RTT < EDGE (EGPRS) < 1x EV-DO
    Well, if data speed is the MOST important factor, then I would say CDMA. Both CDMA carriers have 1xRTT up and running, and VZW has EVDO up in about 20 markets. As far as I know (again, I dont think ANYONE knows for sure), the T650 will not support DVDO or EDGE. (i hope I am wrong about this).

If data speed is not the MOST important factor, then go with a carrier (and technology), that provides you with the best coverage in the places you need to use your phone. Unfortunately, there is no one BEST answer.
    Carl
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast