Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    And for all this time, I could have sworn people were saying they don't need wifi if they have EDGE. I thought EDGE was on par with EV-DO, but I see I'm mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    100thmonkey i kinda disagree with you
    how my friend? you are showing EDGE speeds, I am discussing GPRS speeds...I know that you get some CracK RiDicols Speed Of DETH with Roger's....but remember, some of us just use the Treo and are limited to plain old GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), not EGPRS.

Since my crarrier has EDGE, I want to enjoy those speeds you documents on my Treo 650!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    And for all this time, I could have sworn people were saying they don't need wifi if they have EDGE. I thought EDGE was on par with EV-DO, but I see I'm mistaken.
    EV-DO is like 2 steps ahead of the GSM/WCDMA upgrade path. it won't be until HSDPA comes along that WCDMA will be able to compete with CDMA2k EV-DO speeds

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

I remember debates about the GPRS version and the CDMA version of the Treo 600 when it was released. From those debates I'm pretty sure I remember two big factors that were making people lean towards GPRS. Weather or not those points were ever confirmed by a study or not I don't know. But as I remember them they were:

GPRS:
    Greatly increased battery life compared to CDMA version
    Interopability between more networks including networks over seas

CDMA:
    Faster (cheaper) data rates at the cost of less battery life
    Not compatible with as many networks and almost no coverage over seas.

Correct me if I'm just plain wrong about that... my memory isn't what it used to be. But if that's right, then why Sprint?

The one big factor Sprint had going for it was the fast speed. If GPRS networks have comparible speed now, then why not get the speed AND the coverage? I can see how being locked into a contract would be a big factor... but choosing a CDMA model Treo 650 would force you to stick with Sprint service regardless of a contract or not.

That almost makes me want to bail out of the contract with them and go GPRS so that I can move between providers more freely. That is of course if everyone else starts offering cheap unlimited data plans like Sprint has.

--TechDude
  5.    #25  
    DATA SPEEDS: IT'S ALL RELATIVE

We are only going to see marginal speed increases (max 15%) on the Treo 650. A lot of this will depend on your geography, signal strength, etc. A Treo 650 configured with Edge capability will not be a significant enhancement over Sprint's CDMA. Moreover, it's certainly not cost effective since they (AT&T) charge by the kilobyte for their Edge product.
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/13/2004 at 12:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Since the Treo 650 won't support EV-DO, it doesn't matter that Sprint and Verizon will offer EV-DO in your area within the next year or so. You have to choose: do you want an EV-DO phone, or do you want a Treo? If you want both, I predict you will have to wait a year.

GSM is looking better all the time, and I ain't talking about AT&T either.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    But if that's right, then why Sprint?
    The reason I stick with Sprint is exactly as you say - it's faster and cheaper. I have $10 a month for unlimited Internet, and text messages are included.

I've been overseas once in my life and at the end of the day I have at least 85% of my battery (I have 94% now and I haven't charged for 7 hours). Thus the extra battery you save with GPRS or being able to use it in other countries doesn't match the faster, cheaper Internet for my uses. That's why Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Since the Treo 650 won't support EV-DO, it doesn't matter that Sprint and Verizon will offer EV-DO in your area within the next year or so. You have to choose: do you want an EV-DO phone, or do you want a Treo? If you want both, I predict you will have to wait a year.

GSM is looking better all the time, and I ain't talking about AT&T either.
    Why is GSM looking better if EDGE is just playing catch up to Sprint? If EDGE had EV-DO speeds like I thought it had, I was going to switch to GSM, but that plan is shot.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I am thinking of buying a Treo 650, so this is all about GSM EDGE vs CDMA 1xRTT for my next new phone.

1. EDGE is faster than 1xRTT
    2. Better battery life on the GSM phone
    3. I really like the idea of me being in control, instead of the carrier. Sprint and Verizon are trying to lock their customers in, and I really resent this. This includes downloads (ringtones, software), uploads (photos), and locked phones.
    4. If I go with T-Mo, I can add phones to my plan for $10 a month.
    5. Wider choice of phones! If I go GSM, I can consider the MPx, maybe the Nokia 9300, and a few of the iMate family of PDA phones. If I go this route, it means a real change in my thinking as to what a converged device is for. I really like the idea of a web browser phone, which requires a bigger screen (I think). If I get something that I can't put in my pocket, would I take it with me? I really need to see and try out a Treo 650 before making this decision.

My other option is to wait for EV-DO to show up in Minnesota and then buy something then.
    In actual field tests we've done, we've found 1xRTT to be consistently as fast or faster than EDGE in the Seattle market. Though EDGE certainly can "burst" faster, the sustained rates don't match up to the consisten speeds of 1xRTT. EDGE - in my eyes - is a stop-gap for UMTS. I find it ironic that GSM carriers are moving towards a CDMA based platform, which is where VZ and Sprint have been all along. In addition, 1xRTT with Sprint uses FAR less bandwidth/spectrum than EDGE or UMTS, so Sprint's network will not congest nearly as quickly as that of AT&Tingular or T-Mo.

I don't have high expectations for EDGE, and I'm not looking forward to UMTS or EV-DO (DO only increases downlink speeds) - I'm holding out for EV-DV, which Sprint will most likely roll in '06.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I am OK with "only" increasing downlink speeds. I mean, how fast can I type? Thanks for the tip about bandwidth usage.
    honestly man im going insane...i gotta go back to primary school if not further back and learn to read...mooooo my bad
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    honestly man im going insane...i gotta go back to primary school if not further back and learn to read...mooooo my bad
    it happens when waiting for a hot new handset. Its normal and understandable

14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    In actual field tests we've done, we've found 1xRTT to be consistently as fast or faster than EDGE in the Seattle market. Though EDGE certainly can "burst" faster, the sustained rates don't match up to the consisten speeds of 1xRTT. EDGE - in my eyes - is a stop-gap for UMTS. I find it ironic that GSM carriers are moving towards a CDMA based platform, which is where VZ and Sprint have been all along. In addition, 1xRTT with Sprint uses FAR less bandwidth/spectrum than EDGE or UMTS, so Sprint's network will not congest nearly as quickly as that of AT&Tingular or T-Mo.

I don't have high expectations for EDGE, and I'm not looking forward to UMTS or EV-DO (DO only increases downlink speeds) - I'm holding out for EV-DV, which Sprint will most likely roll in '06.

Amen! I don't believe for one minute we are going to get good data rates with Treo 650 this year. You're right perhaps 2006
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    If the T650 has EDGE and it provides consistent speeds of 150K or so that is still a BIG improvement over what we're currently getting on the GSM networks. It would put GSM on a par with CDMA at least for now.

I went back and looked at the thread where people were reporting the results of running the spped test on dslreports.com (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=dslreports) and the GSM folks were consistently getting between 20K and 40K while the Sprint folks were getting between 80K and 100K (even higher with WebViewer).

So for me, EDGE support would be just one more reason to upgrade. I just wish we could get confirmation on whether the T650 will support EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    3. I really like the idea of me being in control, instead of the carrier. Sprint and Verizon are trying to lock their customers in, and I really resent this. This includes downloads (ringtones, software), uploads (photos), and locked phones.
    As a Sprint customer, I don't know where this is coming from. I haven't bought one piece of software (or ringtones) from them and their picture share is free with the unlimited internet plans. On the other hand it seems like GSM carriers try to limit software (those that carry the Sidekick for instance), and charge if you use too many text messages (though I think some have unlimited like Sprint's).

I want to like GSM because I like the idea of switching carriers, but it doesn't make sense as I'm upgrading phones every year. Each year, I decide which carrier to go to. If I were to stick with a Treo 600 for 4 years then I could see going with a GSM, because a lot can change in that time (new data technologies/prices, new plans etc).

Also, I think that this thread seems to say you won't get 150K on EDGE. In fact it seems to be wash if anything.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    As a Sprint customer, I don't know where this is coming from. I haven't bought one piece of software (or ringtones) from them and their picture share is free with the unlimited internet plans. On the other hand it seems like GSM carriers try to limit software (those that carry the Sidekick for instance), and charge if you use too many text messages (though I think some have unlimited like Sprint's).

I want to like GSM because I like the idea of switching carriers, but it doesn't make sense as I'm upgrading phones every year. Each year, I decide which carrier to go to. If I were to stick with a Treo 600 for 4 years then I could see going with a GSM, because a lot can change in that time (new data technologies/prices, new plans etc).

Also, I think that this thread seems to say you won't get 150K on EDGE. In fact it seems to be wash if anything.

Hope for Verizon customers, but probably too early for the Treo 650 to implement. http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5364.html
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/14/2004 at 10:28 AM.
  18.    #38  
    This link is titled correctly. Data speed transmission Hope for Sprint customers, but probably too early for Treo 650.

http://www3.sprint.com/PR/CDA/PR_CDA...112098,00.html
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    EDGE Speeds: While the bit rate of the EDGE network is three times as fast as GPRS, practically speaking EDGE is not quite as fast because some of the increased speed is used for error correction.
    ------------------------------------------
    http://supportattws.primus.com/aws/r...pt=EDGE#Goto61
    That URL no longer works. Here's a version that does:
    http://supportattws.primus.com/aws/k.../ATTW9835.html
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/05/2005 at 04:54 PM.
    The 650 will support EDGE.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast