1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Treo, but wondering if I should wait for the new 650 model. I currently do not have any type of Treo or Blackberry unit, and am fairly unfamiliar with the product. I have a couple of questions I would love to hear back from some of you experts.

What will be so different about the 650?

Will it offer more than digital coverage? That is one thing I have held back on, is the fact the the current products only have digital coverage. I would like to get rid of my cell phone entirely and just use a Treo, but having only digital service has detered that.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    It won't give you any greater coverage than the Treo 600.

The biggest difference will be the higher quality screen.

If I were you, I would wait a month or two for the new Treo.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    It won't give you any greater coverage than the Treo 600.

The biggest difference will be the higher quality screen.

If I were you, I would wait a month or two for the new Treo.

according to another post, the 650 will be a quad phone, so the coverage will definately be better, as the 600 is only dual band.

PEACE!!
    Oh. Didn't know that.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOVE
    according to another post, the 650 will be a quad phone, so the coverage will definately be better, as the 600 is only dual band.

PEACE!!
    I think you're getting your GSM and CDMA models mixed up. The CDMA (Sprint first) model will be dual band digital (800 and 1900mhz), same as the Treo 600. The GSM model will be quad band, just like the GSM Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    You should wait just based on the improvements in the 650. On the other hand, waiting should also get you a better deal on the 600 as general consensus indicates that the 650 will sell for about what the 600 sells for now, and the price for the 600 will fall. If you don't need or want BT, hi res screen, or better camera then grab a 600. The GSM 600 is quad band, so that much remains the same.
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    I think you're getting your GSM and CDMA models mixed up. The CDMA (Sprint first) model will be dual band digital (800 and 1900mhz), same as the Treo 600. The GSM model will be quad band, just like the GSM Treo 600.

I read somewhere that Sprint will indeed have a quad band 650. When i find it i will post address here.

LATA
    Is the 650 going to have analog or is it totally digital dual band, I'am thinking of getting the 650 but i would like to know if i will have service wherever i go or will i have to carry another phone for good voice coverage.
    Last edited by tazz; 10/13/2004 at 11:42 AM.
    the biggest reason im waiting is the phone answer buttons, which are not on the 600. which makes it easier to answer calls. you also have a better screen, a removeable battery, a 1.3 mp camera, among others. if you have the patience then get the 650, and if you're a zen master then wait til 05 for the 700 (rumor!!!!!!)
    I say that you should wait for the 650. It's definitely an improvement over the 600. Also, you wait a while to purchase it after it comes out until all the kinks get worked out.
    Can anyone tell me if the new treo is going to have the ability to talk and surf the web or send email, or just jot down notes at the same time?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shanipaqman
    Can anyone tell me if the new treo is going to have the ability to talk and surf the web or send email, or just jot down notes at the same time?
    thanks
    You can't do data (be online) and talk at the same time ... you can write an email or look up contacts and jot notes while talking. Atleast that's on my ATT Treo. Not sure if CDMA allows multitasking

-- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
  13.    #13  
    Sorry if the following questions are basic to most of you, but I am a newbie to this type of technology...

1) What do GSM and CDMA stand for/mean
    2) What is Bluetooth Technology

Thanks
    i thought i would get the official definitions:
    1.a. Global System for Mobile communications, the second generation digital technology originally developed for Europe but which now has in excess of 71 per cent of the world market. Initially developed for operation in the 900MHz band and subsequently modified for the 850, 1800 and 1900MHz bands. GSM originally stood for Groupe Speciale Mobile, the CEPT committee which began the GSM standardisation process
    1.b. Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) is a spread-spectrum technology that spreads multiple conversations across a wide segment of the spectrum as opposed to splitting a channel into time slots. With CDMA, unique digital codes are used to differentiate subscribers that are simultaneously using the same spectrum.

2. Bluetooth is actually a standard for wireless communications between devices in a personal area network (PAN) using radio frequency for a short range (around 10 meters). So any two devices that follow the standard can communicate and exchange data between each other without the need of any connection to be made between them. A group of Bluetooth devices like a mobile phone, a digital camera, a hand held device etc. can instantly form a network with each other as soon as they are switched on.

the short answers:
    GSM and CDMA are the types of cellular networks. gsm is more prevolant in other countries. carriers like at&t and t-mobile (i think) are GSM. verizion and sprint are CDMA
    bluetooth is basically an easy way for devices to talk to each other with out wires.
    Last edited by BigKenny; 10/13/2004 at 12:45 PM. Reason: me
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I've been reading this forum for three months and delaying my purchasing decision, and I'm about fed up with the whole frickin' BLIND wait (no specs available yet so that we can't make an informed buying decision). I am probably going to just purchase a 600 for now, and wait for a year to see what OTHER PalmOS smartphones are out there -- I have a feeling there may be better options than the 650 by then. The only major complaint I have is that the lack of BT on the 600, as this is an ABSOLUTE necessity for me. My current phone (Sony Ericsson Z600) has BT, and I *live* with a BT headset at ALL times, and I am NOT going back to non-wireless handsfree (which I always hated and therefore RARELY used, especially during driving because the wires always get in the way).

That would leave me with using one of those adaptors for non-BT phones, which I may just labor with for the time being in any case....

...Mostly, I'm disappointed in PalmOne because, while I HATE PPCs (and no, I'm not an anti-MS guy -- I develop for Windows for a living and I am quite happy with XP) and their nasty OS/UI (too complex for a frickin' PDA or phone), Palm's PDAs and smartphone (well, okay the 600 is really Handspring's baby) are way overpriced for the functionality.

However, I've used the iPaq 6315, and it's feature rich but extremely buggy and I find the interface badly wanting and extremely annnoying, and I just hate PPCs in general.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HITime
    Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Treo, but wondering if I should wait for the new 650 model. I currently do not have any type of Treo or Blackberry unit, and am fairly unfamiliar with the product. I have a couple of questions I would love to hear back from some of you experts.

What will be so different about the 650?

Will it offer more than digital coverage? That is one thing I have held back on, is the fact the the current products only have digital coverage. I would like to get rid of my cell phone entirely and just use a Treo, but having only digital service has detered that.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    i am in the same boat as you. i currently dont have a phone at all. im wondering if i should just get a treo 600 now or wait and get a 650 a couple months from now. im going to use my phone primarily for entertainment(games, movies, chatting, mp3s, etc.) i know im not going to be fully satisfied with 600 but the 650 will have EVERYTHING i need. i made up my mind that im going to just save up the extra money and wait and be completely happy with the 650 on the sprint network. hopefully i can get a rebate