Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Just in case the Treo 650 does have EDGE, where is it actually running? Anywhere in Chicago area?

Which carriers have it running where?

ATT?
    Cingular?
    T-mobile?

Are there any other EDGE enabled phones?
    Not sure about phones, but Cingular is selling an EDGE PCMCIA card right now for about $150. This is in Dallas, TX.
    Quote Originally Posted by BD1
    Just in case the Treo 650 does have EDGE, where is it actually running? Anywhere in Chicago area?

Which carriers have it running where?

ATT?
    Cingular?
    T-mobile?

Are there any other EDGE enabled phones?
    I found this Cingular map posted somewhere. I'm not sure how old it is.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ebay1sales/GPRS_map.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Coverage maps on the AT&T Wireless website show that they have a lot of EDGE coverage. I don't know how it can be verified.
    AT&T wireless has EDGE nationwide.
    AWS has nationwide EDGE
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I guess the next question is how much is the EDGE data plan? Seems like mMode is $25 for unlimited. I don't see that saying it's EDGE though.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 10/11/2004 at 04:10 PM.
    same as the regular data plans. not the cheap WAP phone plans, a data plan like you are using a laptop. about 50 - 80 dollars

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

rogers wireless, aka my baby, is live on EGRPS since june 1 04
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    same as the regular data plans. not the cheap WAP phone plans, a data plan like you are using a laptop. about 50 - 80 dollars
    I couldn't find any posting of such things on their website. Is it possible you could post a link or something. Nationwide EDGE is pretty cool stuff and the type of thing that could make me switch from Sprint. However I need to see it come in at a somewhat competitive price. Otherwise, I'll just hope for wifi.

According to 3G in America, T-Mobile will have EDGE deployed by June 2005. Also, I have heard that when Edge is available for T-Mo their pricing for the Unlimited Internet Plan will go up $10 to $39.99 for new customers.

T-Mobile Rocks
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoWiz
    According to 3G in America, T-Mobile will have EDGE deployed by June 2005. Also, I have heard that when Edge is available for T-Mo their pricing for the Unlimited Internet Plan will go up $10 to $39.99 for new customers.

T-Mobile Rocks
    Do you have a link to 3G in America? I'd like to read the complete story.
    Looks like EDGE is $50 a month from ATT which unfortunately puts it out of my price range. I couldn't find a price on the Cingular even with the link, but I'm guessing it's not too much better. Looks like I'm back to rooting for wifi as it would pay for itself in less than 3 months and I'm usually near a wifi access point.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Looks like EDGE is $50 a month from ATT which unfortunately puts it out of my price range. I couldn't find a price on the Cingular even with the link, but I'm guessing it's not too much better. Looks like I'm back to rooting for wifi as it would pay for itself in less than 3 months and I'm usually near a wifi access point.
    Cingular Media Works is $19.99
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    Cingular Media Works is $19.99
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase
    I didn't find anything at this link that says MEdia is EDGE. Did I miss something?
    Yeah is Media Works able to do EDGE and also why limits on text messaging? It's odd they'd let you have unlimited Internet, but not text messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I didn't find anything at this link that says MEdia is EDGE. Did I miss something?
    GPRS and EDGE are lumped together. There is not a separate billing system. The cheap WAP phone packages are limited to certain ports (I don't know which), whereas the more exopensive data packages allow full browsing and usage

Well as long as port 80 is open (as well as the SSL (443?) and telnet ones (23?)), the price is what it seems, and that map of Cingular's coverage is what it appears to be, I'm going to have to say goodbye to Sprint. Seems to be a lot of ifs, but I guess we'll find out.

Anyone using EDGE on Cingular now for anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Do you have a link to 3G in America? I'd like to read the complete story.
    Well, it's not a story. Here is were I found about T-Mobile's Edge deployment schedule at www.3gamericas.org . Then click on Edge Technology Worldwide PDF. As far as the price change from $29.99 to $39.99 that was told to me by a person who works for T-Mobile USA. Also, T-Mobile's trails of Flash-OFDM or Flarion have been impressive. Here is an article about this: http://www.dailywireless.org/modules...ticle&sid=3031.

T-Mobile USA main concern is getting spectrum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast