Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's like going to war with Iraq without providing troops the equipment they need to do a good job!!

How can you release a 256MB device one week and a few weeks later release a so-called "update" and "next generation" smartphone with only 32 (23MB available)???? I hope the sprint dude is wrong about that marketing sheet or that Palmone releases two models: one with 32MB and another with enough memory to make the device *&!@$$ing useful.

i realize I've started this fight before, but it's worth fighting for. Some of you don't need more memory. Fine. Good luck storing the video and higher-res photos.

some of u say get an expansion card. fine. but if it's not fast enough to store the multimedia, and when you get confused about which card has which apps, and when you're forced to choose between wi-fi and picture taking, don't come back here complaining.

if palmone releases this thing with only 23MB included, well, i don't really have a threat -- it's not like I'm running to m$ft, but it would be soooo friggin stupid, handicapping and infuriating.

if they really are snazzing up so many aspects of the device (screen, cam, memory), how much can it cost to add a few megs of RAM.
    - ag47
    Does anyone know if they would put out the 650 with only 32 MB of RAM as a test device for the carrier employees only, and release the real models with more? Has that ever been known to occur, or are the test devices always the same as the eventual released models?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    So,
    You voted for the Treo 650 before you voted against it?

I'm in the "who cares, I'll be adding a memory card anyway" crowd. Sure it would be nice if it came with more ram, say the 256MB in the new T5. But I really don't care, other than photo's I'd have a hard time filling it up anyway.

I've got a PalmV that I still use frequently, and with TONS of notes (gotta love that folding keyboard) I'm still not using up all the RAM. Just drop in a 1GB card and you've got room to spare.

OS5 isn't going to really take advantage of all that space anyway, wait for OS6 and I'd say you will see the onboard RAM take a huge leap in capacity. I don't think it's just a cost concern regarding internal RAM, it's probably also a battery life issue with the refresh requirements (just guess but it makes a bit of sense).
    I still have a feeling that there will be a family of Treos.
    I agree, 32 megs in todays market is unacceptable.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm in the "more RAM" category. For those of us that use their Treos extensively for reference (medicine), more onboard RAM is invaluable. I have a 1GB card, yet I still run out of room, because part of the program still needs to be loaded into RAM memory.

C'mon how hard is it to have 64MB of internal RAM???? I hope, as LordPhong postulated, there will be a family of Treos.
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    I didn't think it was an issue until I used up all my ram! I think I'm going to stay with my T600 until a Treo with: Wi-fi & 3G data speed capability & at east 64 megs ram is released (probably waiting what, 7 or 8 years from now?)
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I agree- lack of RAM is a *major* issue for those of us who have cards, but require more RAM for certain large apps or databases that MUST remain in RAM. Aside from medical databases, apps such as Vindigo are very useful, but need to be in RAM. My city alone is about 1.3 megs. At times, I've needed to even move that to the card, then move it back to RAM to sync it-- ridiculous.

And if I understand this right, the next Treo will have *less usable* memory.... 24 megs in the 600 vs 23 megs in the 650. Not good.....
    If you have the cameraless version is there more RAM available with out the camera software?
    Agree. 32 meg would be infuriating. Treo 600 users know how quickly 32 meg can go away especially with all of the helper apps out there. I don't think you can compare to the memory requirements of a non Treo 600 device.
    i would like to see atleast 128mb of internal memory
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Would the video app in the T650 save directly to card, or ram?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    I agree- lack of RAM is a *major* issue for those of us who have cards, but require more RAM for certain large apps or databases that MUST remain in RAM. Aside from medical databases, apps such as Vindigo are very useful, but need to be in RAM. My city alone is about 1.3 megs. At times, I've needed to even move that to the card, then move it back to RAM to sync it-- ridiculous.

And if I understand this right, the next Treo will have *less usable* memory.... 24 megs in the 600 vs 23 megs in the 650. Not good.....
    Exactly! The Palm OS is not very good at running complete applications from a card. You need internal RAM and having less usable RAM in the 650 is a giant leap backwards. That, along with the newest rumor that the 650 has the same crappy camera leaves little reason to upgrade. Yes, hi res is probably the best reason, faster processor and Bluetooth might be good reasons as well, but they are not worth spending $500. And that's not counting all the new acessories you have to buy because of the new and "improved" Palm connector.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin

32 meg would be infuriating.
    I'm with you. As much as I want high resolution, I don't think bring myself to reduce the amount of RAM I have available. I am constantly struggling to keep my RAM usage down so I have some free space (currently between 5 and 6 MB). Another 32 MB would let me breath again. 2 - 3 MB less would be torture. I am holding out the hope that there will be a another model released soon after the 650 with features for more advanced users.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    If there is a palmOne rep on these boards, I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING! 32MB on a next-generation device IS UNEXCEPTABLE!
    Cool spelling, Huh...
    Quote Originally Posted by agnok47
    some of u say get an expansion card. fine. but if it's not fast enough to store the multimedia, and when you get confused about which card has which apps, and when you're forced to choose between wi-fi and picture taking, don't come back here complaining.

What type of card do you have...is it an Ultra II?

Also...I remember reading that the T600's card slot was underpowered for certain aspects...is it also possible that it was not realizing the full potential of speed from the memorycards? And if so...could the new 650 preform better?
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    OS5 isn't going to really take advantage of all that space anyway, wait for OS6 and I'd say you will see the onboard RAM take a huge leap in capacity. I don't think it's just a cost concern regarding internal RAM, it's probably also a battery life issue with the refresh requirements (just guess but it makes a bit of sense).

HUH? OS 5 doesn't have any such limitations. Just take the Tapwave Zod2 for example that sports a 128 MB...

Also, you have to consider the type of Ram that will be used in the Ace. It's widely believed that the Ace is going to use a non-volitile type of ram that will not erase itself when the battery is removed or power drained. The availability and price of this type of ram may have been the deciding factor in the amount used in the Treo...

Furthermore, those of you who who are having problems with not enough Ram need to consider investing in memory manager applications. I have over 400+ apps with lots of medical texts/DB's, games, utils, etc and still maintain a relitively spacious amount of 6.3 MB of free ram on my Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I totally agree that 32MB is a joke. Lack of RAM makes the T6 already of limited use. Install Java and the couple extra browsers to make it usable for the web along with a lite version of a dictionary that won't work from a card and there goes my RAM. I have no interest in a 650 with under 64 MB even if it has integrated wifi. 128 is more reasonable given that most users will have it at least a year. It was depressing to Max out my 600 within days of purchase. Please do the right thing Palm or you'll cripple sales. Or is that differently able sales?
    Well, there goes my chances of having a sd gps. If I get a 650 I'll have to keep an sdcard in the slot permanantly just like the 600. There's just not enough space too keep all the applications and data that gets used.

and yes I am exagerating, but it is rather odd that palm would limit ram on a device like this.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast