Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I wasn't saying that the OS couldn't address the added RAM, but rather that given the architecture of the OS, adding more RAM wasn't going to improve performance of the OS. It's not like there is a bunch of swap space needed for OS5. It's not really multitasking or supporting high performance apps in this interation.
    But with all the changes in OS6, they can really use the extra RAM and would expect them to add it as needed.
    Do you people realize that even the Mpx only has a measly 32 MB or ram, and that's for bloated PPC OS?! I'm not saying that 64 MB on the Ace wouldn't be nice, but just look at some of the competition before you start b!tching...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hi guys

Read this morning that even the new Sony P901i has 63 MB. The 650 really does need to at least match this I would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    but just look at some of the competition before you start b!tching...
    my issue is what would and extra 32MB actually cost? i would gladly pay the extra 4 bucks. my guess is they are borrowing much of the 600 (hence 650, not 700) and it may have required additional development.
    HUH? OS 5 doesn't have any such limitations. Just take the Tapwave Zod2 for example that sports a 128 MB...

Also, you have to consider the type of Ram that will be used in the Ace. It's widely believed that the Ace is going to use a non-volitile type of ram that will not erase itself when the battery is removed or power drained. The availability and price of this type of ram may have been the deciding factor in the amount used in the Treo...

Furthermore, those of you who who are having problems with not enough Ram need to consider investing in memory manager applications. I have over 400+ apps with lots of medical texts/DB's, games, utils, etc and still maintain a relitively spacious amount of 6.3 MB of free ram on my Treo...
    Please elaborate on which program you use for memory management. I always seem to be moving stuff around...
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1
    If there is a palmOne rep on these boards, I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING! 32MB on a next-generation device IS UNEXCEPTABLE!
    so is your horrendous spelling.
    Well, there goes my chances of having a sd gps. If I get a 650 I'll have to keep an sd card in the slot permanantly just like the 600. There's just not enough space too keep all the applications and data that gets used.
    SD gps card? Umm... just get a BT gps accessory with Ace!!! That way you can keep all your maps on your card!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Please elaborate on which program you use for memory management. I always seem to be moving stuff around.
    Any memory manager like ZLauncher, PowerRun, TealAlias, etc should do the job...

[quote]Please elaborate on which program you use for memory management. I always seem to be p

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Do you people realize that even the Mpx only has a measly 32 MB or ram, and that's for bloated PPC OS?! I'm not saying that 64 MB on the Ace wouldn't be nice, but just look at some of the competition before you start b!tching...
    The XDA II has been out almost as long (in Australia has definately been available as long) as the Treo 600 and it has 128MB of RAM, to be honest I think Motorolla's MPX will be crushed by the XDA IIi and the Benq P50 (also 128mb), what the hell are Motorolla thinking? Ohh and Palm for that matter they put a huge amount of RAM in the T5 and hardly any in the Treo 650?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    gfunkmagic- I'm sure that many, if not most, of those coming up against the RAM issue ARE already using memory management techniques. Personally, I am VERY familiar with the various options, and have tried most of them. I was an early beta tester for PiDirectII, which was a fantastic app allowing almost anything to run from the card under OS4. Currently, I've settled on using zLauncher, which is also a wonderful app. MOST of my apps are on the card using zlauncher.

BUT- RAM is STILL a major issue for many of us. There are just lots os things- mostly large databases- that cannot run from the card well. Either they can't run at all, or they can't run efficiently (meaning it takes a few seconds to load, or still requires that a huge amount of RAM be available). Some examples would include certain medical apps, vindigo, MovieMentor, multiple mapopolis maps, etc. Even having an additional 10 megs available would be very helpful.

I'm hoping that the new Sandisk Extreme III card (with write speeds of 20 mb/sec) may help, although we'll need to wait to see if the processor speed of the treo is the limiting factor. That would enable me to put some larger apps, like Datebk5, onto the card....
    HUH? OS 5 doesn't have any such limitations. Just take the Tapwave Zod2 for example that sports a 128 MB...

Also, you have to consider the type of Ram that will be used in the Ace. It's widely believed that the Ace is going to use a non-volitile type of ram that will not erase itself when the battery is removed or power drained. The availability and price of this type of ram may have been the deciding factor in the amount used in the Treo...

Furthermore, those of you who who are having problems with not enough Ram need to consider investing in memory manager applications. I have over 400+ apps with lots of medical texts/DB's, games, utils, etc and still maintain a relitively spacious amount of 6.3 MB of free ram on my Treo...
    What memory manager are you using?....still looking for a good INTERGRATED memory manager...one that works seamless fashion with a launcher...anybody recommend one? (and another gripe...why isn't one standard on the palm in firmware?)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12