Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    While we are all waiting around for the Treo 650 to be released, I've had time to ask myself: "Is paying another $400-$600+ for the Treo 650 "upgrade" really worth it?" I'm a huge "latest and greatest gadget freak" who loves his Treo 600, but when you really look at what you are getting, wouldn't it be better to wait for the next big Treo upgrade (which will probably come out in a year)? The way I see it: You get rid of your Treo 600 (which you paid big bucks for), buy the Treo 650 and probably use it for about a year until the next one comes out, get rid of your 650, and probably spend another $400-$600+. In short, you probably "eat" $30-$50+ per month (average over a year) on the Treo 650 when (in my opinion) you don't really gain a whole lot. The 650 is obviously better than the 600, but is it worth hundreds of extra dollars when you can probably assume a much better model will be out within a year? What do you think?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    As a 180/270 user, YES the upgrade is worth it. The removable battery and upgraded screen is worth the upgrade in my opinion. Plus the fact they are using a new manufacturer who has a reputation for great build quality which should cut down on the hardware problems we've all seen.

Is it worth it for a 600 user?
    Guess that's up to the user.

I don't care about WiFi today, maybe if Cisco rolls out a Palm OS VoIP softphone then I'd want it. But I don't see much of the appeal today.
    I've had a PPC with WiFi for a few years, it's nice on occasion, but I've no need for it on a regular basis.

I think if I was a 600 user, I'd probably wait for the OS6 rollout and see what tricks Palm has up it's sleeve for that release. With the combined companies, the next release should show what they are really capable of producing in concert. We are moving to a line of treo's now, so they can start segmenting the market and not try and compete with just one product.

I'm sure they will have an "everything plus the kitchen sink" model on the high end, so the gadget junkies can be satisfied. As well as a nice mainstream unit with Bang for the Buck and a low end unit for those who want convergence, but will accept lower featuresets for a lower price.
    to me it is too much money for too little upgrade
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
  4.    #4  
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Is it worth it for a 600 user?
    Guess that's up to the user.
    No, it is a matter of price, not the user. I am not hopeful.
    Even if I could justify buying another smartphone to my wife I wouldn't do it. Too soon, and too little upgrade.
    Not at all worth the extra money IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    As a 180/270 user, YES the upgrade is worth it.
    I agree. As a 270 user, I thought the 600 at $750- was worth it. I still think that it was. If that was true then, then, allowing for deflation, any upgrade to the 600 would have to be priced higher than $600 not to be worth it to this 270 user. However, to this 600 user, the value proposition would have to be different.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/11/2004 at 03:19 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Bump
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Knock it off, Jensen. A lack of response indicates a lack of interest.
    its definately worthy:
    -high res
    -improved design, especially with SD card
    -faster processor
    -removable battery

possibly
    -1.3 megapix
    -EDGE

looks worthwhile to me
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Even if I could justify buying another smartphone to my wife I wouldn't do it. Too soon, and too little upgrade.
    Not at all worth the extra money IMO.
    Same here, unless the upgrade costs <$300 in which case I might be able to swing it
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Same here, unless the upgrade costs <$300 in which case I might be able to swing it
    Yes? Well I am single and need only to justify it to myself. I have hardly ever seen a toy that I can not justify. This may be it.
    I still have the 270. I didn't even think the 600 was worth upgrading.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Depends on how much I could sell my existing 600 for...
    I was ready to switch from my T3 and cell phone to the 600. I found this site, and then found out about the 650. So for me with not owning one yet - it's definitely worth it! And I'm sure I will upgrade to the "700" or whatever the one after the 650 is as soon as it comes out also. Needless to say, they set the hook on me!
    bump.
    It's questionable for me, if it comes out at $600 and I'm not eligable for any discounts, I'm going to be very tempted to find a different phone.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Knock it off, Jensen. A lack of response indicates a lack of interest.
    MrTreo - see above
    I don't see how the Treo 650 is going to cost 400-600 when you count that you can ebay your old Treo 600 for at least $250, probably more. That would mean that if the Treo 650 comes out at a 600 price point you are only playing $350. If comes out lower, like with a renewal of contract or something, then it might get down to $250.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    MrTreo - see above

Bump.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast