Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    - Not to mention No future Mac support ... so whats to stop me from buying a pocket PC that has more Features and Technology????
    The lack of Mac support is a real good reason to jump ship. Unlike what most people here are complaining about this is not conjecture, but a real issue. If you are on a Mac platform you should bail out now. This is both a tell tail sign for P1 and Mac. So whats to stop you from buying a desk top pc?
    I think Palm One is treading water until Cobalt is released. Why throw resources at an OS that they have announced is dead. Sony have jumped ship, with PDA'S they could have used Palm OS for their phones but didn't.

Palm is still the biggest in PDA's but PDA's are redundant devices mobile phones are the future and Palm has made a huge mistake in not throwing more resources this way. The basic Palm's are much better than the Treo's and that's dumb. Look at the Blackbery (Wherer did that come from?) a huge great ugly phone thingy, (I bet it outsells the Treo, it does in Europe) it emerged from nowhere. Why does only one company support the Treo in Great Britain?

Al of these questions point top a huge level of incompentence and lack of foresight. Personally, I wish Apple had bought Palm, at least they would have had direction. Apple should not get into the PDA business, it should be in the Phone/PDA/iPod business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    ....The basic Palm's are much better than the Treo's and that's dumb...
    Basic Palms? You mean like the Palm III, the Palm VII, and the Palm Vx, right? You cannot possibly mean like the Tungsten and the Zire? Tell me where do you stand between Hummers and Porsches?
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/11/2004 at 12:22 PM.
    Lets wait and see for certain......but the $600 that I put aside for the upgrade will have to buy more than just a faster processor and a higher resolution screen. That HP6315 is looking more attractive after each rumour :-(

To recreate the excitement I think that Palm would need to go back to the original rumours - Higher res screen, faster processor, Bluetooth, 64MB and WiFi capable (even if it is via an SD card)
    Man, you guys are tough sells. The Treo 650 will have a high rez screen, bluetooth, removable battery, integrated voice dialing and will be accidental hard-reset proof - All significant improvements over the Treo 600 and no Palm based phone even comes close to the specs of the 650. Or even the 600 for that matter. Yet, you all think Palm One is "going south" because of disappointment in the camera? The camera? To each his own I guess. And while it would be nice to have WiFi in the 650, to be fair, only one Palm based device - the Clie UX50 - has both BT and WiFi integrated - and that's Sony, not even Palm One. So its not shocking that WiFi wasn't included with the BT.

I have an iPaq 6315 on T-Mobile but will definitely be getting the 650 too. I happen to like both Palm and PocketPC. And I will defintely be enjoying all the stuff the 650 has - and not dispairing over the few things it doesn't have.
    I think I'll wind up going with the 650 as well... but I do have to say that the PPC OS is much better in my opinion... I love my Treo 600 and am eagerly awaiting the 650, but given a good alternative in the PPC market I would jump off the Palm and get right into the PPC boat.
  8.    #28  
    i hope i am pleasantly surprised. im not saying i wouldnt buy it for the camera. im not all caught up in the camera,, its palmone`s supposed inability to follow through on it... now maybe its not true. maybe what dutchtrumpet saw was only a model or prototype. we will see.

listen, if the treo 650 turns out to be a very good device and its not waaaayy buggy, i will be jumping for joy. my point was just that i hope p1 just doesnt continue operating on a basis where only some of the features are implemented with each product release, and some fail to be implemented towards the end of their releases, while ppcs jump ahead with their feature packs.

im a palmone fan. but a concerned one at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    ......The Treo 650 will have a high rez screen, bluetooth, removable battery, integrated voice dialing and will be accidental hard-reset proof - All significant improvements over the Treo 600
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. I assume that, because there are so many conflicting stories, few know and some of them..... More important, does anyone care? I cannot imagine what you describe would get my 600 and $600. I doubt that it would get $200- Where is the excitement that I felt when I paid $750- for my 600 GSM when the Sprint version had been seliing for $399- for weeks? As the man says, it is an upgrade, not to say a patch, to the 600. The more they leak, the less excitement there is.

However, that is not the question for the thread. That question is "are they going south?" Are they vital and viable? Would you invest money in them? Would you buy their debt?
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/11/2004 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. I assume that, because there are so many conflicting stories, few know and some of them..... More important, does anyone care? I cannot imagine what you describe would get my 600 and $600. I doubt that it would get $200- Where is the excitement that I felt when I paid $750- for my 600 GSM when the Sprint version had been seliing for $399- for weeks? As the man says, it is an upgrade, not to say a patch, to the 600. The more they leak, the less excitement there is.

However, that is not the question for the thread. That question is "are they going south?" Are they vital and viable? Would you invest money in them? Would you buy their debt?
    Again, to each his own I guess. The bluetooth and high rez screen alone are worth the upgrade IMO. I see the 320x320 Palms at CompUSA and then I look at my 160x160, off centered Treo 600 screen. Not even close. Plus, I'm sick of sometimes needing special software just for the Treo 600 because of its mismatch of PalmOS 5 and low rez screen. Personally, I think people are, because of the high price, trying to convince themselves its not worth the upgrade. But I suspect a lot of those people, once they see a live Treo 650, will change their minds very quickly. After all, we aren't talking about one or two improvements. We are talking a number of considerable improvements.

Personally, I plan on selling my 600 on eBay. I figure I can probably get $250-$300 for it (it's in mint condition). That's about half the upgrade cost right there so the Treo 650 won't cost people as much in the end as they may think. eBay is a great place for unloading your old equipment and getting cash for upgrades
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Personally, I plan on selling my 600 on eBay. I figure I can probably get $250-$300 for it (it's in mint condition). That's about half the upgrade cost right there so the Treo 650 won't cost people as much in the end as they may think. eBay is a great place for unloading your old equipment and getting cash for upgrades
    The price that one can expect to get for a Treo 600 on eBay will be, in part, a function of the superiority of any upgrade for the Treo and the price of that upgrade. If the upgrade is attractive enough in price and function to get me to move, it is likely to reduce the re-sale value of my year old 600 to less than $250-.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    The price that one can expect to get for a Treo 600 on eBay will be, in part, a function of the superiority of any upgrade for the Treo and the price of that upgrade. If the upgrade is attractive enough in price and function to get me to move, it is likely to reduce the re-sale value of my year old 600 to less than $250-.
    I'm not so sure about that. Rumor is that PalmOne is not discontinuing the 600 and will offer it as a cheaper solution. The Treo 600 is still going for $400+ dollars, with the occasional sick $199 that I saw for AT&T on Amazon. Sprint via Amazon had web offers of $399 and I saw one (I forget what carrier) for $349. If the Treo 650 will go for $500 in-store and $400 for web cheap prices (those prices are optimistic, I would think they might be a bit higher, especially at first), it is not unreasonable to expect the Treo 600 to still be worth $250-$300 used if it is in excellent condition.
    The thing is there is no comparable options right now. The Treo smartphones kind of have the monopoly on smartphones. Gee let's say I want to go out and buy a cell phone/ pda with a keyboard on palm os. Well hmmm... I sure do have a lot of choices! Even if I opened up that playing field to smartphone with keyboard on palm or ppc, I still wouldn't have much choice. That's where they got us. They could release a block of cheese with an antennae & keyboard & we'd likely spend $600 for it!! They have no competition to keep them on top of their game or on top of the comsumer's desires. Now I underdtand how the technology/consumerism game works; the technology we see today had been available for 2-5 years. They just release it to us in increments (upgrades) slowly so they can make money off of us. If they sold one uber device to us today that was ahead of it's time or even current (thanx a lot treo-you greedy bastards) then we wouldn't go out next year & by the upgrade. This happens with the automobile industry, computers especially, appliances, anything you can think of. So they have to allow room for upgrading. That's understandable. But what pisses me off is that some very basic amenities are being left out when other basic phones & smartphones have these. IE LOUD ringtones, Camera WITH FLASH-these are things that I can find at the Sprint store on almost EVERY cell phone out there!!! Come on guys. Yeah it's a converged device but those are pretty basic amenities that our $600 device should be equipped with-a no brainer. I can BARELY here my Treo 600 ring when outdoors. I don't care what ringer I have. Then no flash on the camera?! Give me a friggin break! They are saving this stuff for the Treo 700?! And still 32mb memory? I personally think PalmOne is dropping the ball. I do not appreciate the fact that I have to go through 3-5 generations of their smartphones to match technology that was available before those smartphones were released! Anyway, I personally will jump ship as soon as a smartphone comes out with a keyboard on palm os or ppc with a usable/asthetly pleasing form factor. PalmOne is getting lazy because the courtship is over & we are halfway in the marriage. They think that they have us & they are not working out anymore, no complimets, no dinners, not much lovin in the bedroom. PalmOne you cocky *******! I can find somone better & when I do, you will THEN wake up & change your ways. But it will be too late! Good riddens to you you piece o.s! Don't get me wrong, I think the Treo is the best we have... YET. Stop resting on your laurels PalmOne. ALL I ASK FOR IS A STINKING FLASH FOR THE CAMERA PHONE!! It's pretty useless otherwise unless we are standing on the sun... Palome will be surpassed because they are lazy. I'm sick of 3 crashes a day & going through 12 replacements, releasing "bad" batch of phones with no recall....
    Last edited by treoneo; 10/12/2004 at 09:43 AM.
    this is funny. the phone doesn't have the features you want. eventhough this phone still hasn't been officially announced. so you dont know what the phone had, or was supposed to have, or even what the phone will have. so since it doesn't have want you want.....palmone is heading south. okay...
    Simply stated, PalmOne's market cap today is over $1 billion. Does that make sense to you? It is so high based on the assumption that the company will dominate its marketspace. The 650 freshens things up a little, the T5 essentially tells everyone what Sony and Toshiba have alread known--The US market for PDAs is tanking, and incremental updates will be the best approach. Launching off of the 650, P1 can, and should build a comfortable lead against most competitiors, and playing nice with M$ (exchange support) and RIM (Blackberry emulation) is a good step.

But....$1 billion market cap? I don't think so
    Google's is 36 billion. Are they 36 times better than Palm? I don't think so. Intel is like 25 times AMD and their products aren't 25 times better. It seems to me that there are all kinds of inconsistancies, but it might not seem that way to other people. That's why the stock market works. It seems like enough people believe Palm to be a 1B company.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12