1.    #1  
    I am not sure when the denial period began with the discovery that the 650 was not going to have a 1.3 megapixel camera. I know that I must have read Muffin Man's slides, but I guess I just through Palm had a typo (not very likely.) When DutchTrumpet started to tout it, I was still in denial.

As it slowly sunk in, I went through anger. Why has it taken Palm/Handspring over a year to deliver what is basically the same phone with higher rez screen and bluetooth? They completely redesigned the phone between my 300 and 600. For something that Palm says is a very large part of their strategic direction, this is very disappointing.

Then I went to barganing. After all, PalmOne did say that there was going to be a suite of Treos. Maybe the 650 isn't the be all, end all. Maybe there is a 700 or 800 lurking in Q1, that would have all of the features that we want along with Cobalt or something. Maybe if I just wait a few months...

Then came depression. The camera was really the feature that was going to justify the upgrade. Bluetooth is nice to have, but not a deal killer. So is the higher rez screen. Lord knows, I could live without taking the 3mb memory hit. I really wanted a higher quality camera.

Then came acceptance. I am still not happy, but in the end, PalmOne will get another $500-600 out of me this quarter. Damn it.
    Wow, you do realize that pixel count means absolutely nothing when it comes to picture quality right? It's a proven myth. Search google if you doubt my words.
    pixel count is important if you plan on printing your pictures. i am a professional photographer so it makes me laugh when people brag about having 8 megapixel cameras when all they do is save it on their PC. nice way to eat up disk space - putting high res pics on your hard disk :P

the one advantage of high mp other than for large print purposes is the fact that you can take sections of the photograph and turn it into a work of art on it's own (if you know your way around photoshop). finally, 1.3Mpixel would have given treo 650 users larger pics. this means that there are more pixels to go around to contain the image. however, because it is a phone cam and chances are you won't be printing the pics off it, who cares? it's probably better to have a low res cam so that you can MMS it off faster

Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Wow, you do realize that pixel count means absolutely nothing when it comes to picture quality right? It's a proven myth. Search google if you doubt my words.
    what do you mean "picture quality"? try making large prints out of a shot that you took with a 1 mega pixel camera. you'll see significant pixelation and blur. that being said, you don't need an 8 mega pixel camera if you simply plan on taking shots to store on digital media or put them online.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    He meant the fact that a ****-poor lens like what the camera phones almost all have just doesn't let enough light threw. The color distortion, and narrow angle field just ruin most camera phone pictures. Another million pixels of a poor picture is still a poor picture. Yes you can blow it up further and zoom in more, up to 1280x1024 without blur. But what's the point? Once you get a picture that has decent clarity, then yes the more pixels the more we can zoom. But I don't think many treo phone users want to print posters with the pictures. Just to fill the size of a desktop monitor at best resolution. Let's say a 1.6 megapixel camera would suit that purpose quite well...
    handspring was good. needed a little tweaking and some capital, but it was the real deal.

palmone just plain sucks.
    I hate to say it. but its the truth.
    im passing on the t650 - besides the screen res, there is no other incentive to upgrade. that's the truth.

handspring had something special. there was the promise of newer, better tech and they delivered on almost all of it.

palmone is regressing, taking steps backward. incompetence or whatever caused the 1.3 mpixel camera to fail, its caused p1 a lot of success, and im sure the next quarterly earnings reports are going to show it. ESP since the t5 is no great shakes either.

what the hell happened at palmone? they've completely fallen apart and lost any momentum they were building.
    what an awful shame.
    What I'm saying is everyone here seems to believe that because the new 650's camera won't be at least 1MP, it's going to have the same quality as the 600.

Honestly, if Mr. Zeiss had designed the lens and Micron made the CMOS sensor for the 600 you'd have a kick-a$$ phone camera, regardless of pixel count. The 650 will still have a better quality camera. On a phone camera, MP means nothing.

If you need large printouts or extremely high quality then use a real camera. Don't tell me that you're disinterested in a phone because it lacks the features of a real camera. If thats the case then I don't like the 650 because if lacks the features of a real PC, a real phone, and a real PDA.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I don't like the 650 because if lacks the features of a ..... real PDA
    Agreed!
    Convergance in it's early stages is always a no-win situation.
    What I'm saying is everyone here seems to believe that because the new 650's camera won't be at least 1MP, it's going to have the same quality as the 600.

Honestly, if Mr. Zeiss had designed the lens and Micron made the CMOS sensor for the 600 you'd have a kick-a$$ phone camera, regardless of pixel count. The 650 will still have a better quality camera. On a phone camera, MP means nothing.

If you need large printouts or extremely high quality then use a real camera. Don't tell me that you're disinterested in a phone because it lacks the features of a real camera. If thats the case then I don't like the 650 because if lacks the features of a real PC, a real phone, and a real PDA.
    got it now. i thought u were referring to pixel counts of a real camera you're right about the pixel count of a crappy camera like the 600/650 won't make a jot of difference. you're not gonna win any photography contests with a CMOS camera.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Convergance in it's early stages is always a no-win situation.
    yah which is why i got tired of the treo pretty damn fast. i am surprised that I would rather have a stand alone cell phone (that performs well as a phone) and a stand alone PDA (that performs well as a PDA) rather than having a meh PDA with a meh phone in the treo. let's not talk about the fact that you can play mp3's on the treo, watch movies etc. other pda's do the same thing. and as for web browsing, i don't use the treo for that because there is no affordable data plan where i live.
    what I am saying is there is a problem with p1 to execute their plans, and bring to the market what was promised.

fine so they will have a better camera than the t600, still there is the question of why they couldn't execute the upgraded megapixel component.

my question is not with how much better the cam will be, its the question of why they can't execute!
    Palm one never stated anything about the 650. Everything is speculation. You, unfortunately, keep jumping to conclusions as soon as new speculations arise. I'm curious to know how you'd react if a new thread popped up stating that it does in fact have a 1.3MP camera but it performs ****-poor in comparison to the 600?
    easy, skillllz, geez. hey, if these specs turn out false, wanna know how id react? id be jumping for joy! there you have it. and id retract my statements about p1 then. listen, im pulling for palmone. never said otherwise. its just that these speculations, as you've said, are quite discouraging as you can imagine, esp if you've been looking forward to this new phone for sooo long.
    hopefully it turns out im wrong. I can't wait to be proved to be so. im just telling it how It is if these rumors turn out to be true.
    if 1.3 mp cam shots are "****-poor", well that would be a shame.
    but they at least would be taking steps toward improving on the t600 cam - it can't get any worse than that, right?
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    What's the point of a 1-meg camera if you can barely distinguish the photos on your low-res screen? Its tough to show the photos that you've taken to your friends when the image is so-so...kinda defeats the purpose. I know we've beaten this horse before, but I think the hi-res screen,IMO, will validate the purchase of not only the new Treo, but all the apps out there that will look and function so much better with a better screen. Honestly, I've held off buying many apps because the view quality is just not there....yet. Certain games, picture viewers, browsers, etc all have the same fundamental constraints: they don't show well on a low-res screen. I love the super-duper res on the Tungsten line but I did not buy a convergence device to carry more than one device. So, bring on the T650!!!
    i say roast the camera. or make a non-camera version with a price drop of $50-$100. who needs it.
    I don't know Jack about pixel count, but when I look at the same image from a Zire 72 and my Treo 600, the Zire image IS ALWAYS BETTER. You have to wonder why Palm would use a different camera for the Treo 650 than the Zire 72. If they turn out to be the same, then I'm in. Otherwise, maybe Samsung will release the i550 this decade.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    ......... Otherwise, maybe Samsung will release the i550 this decade.
    Yeah sure Dale. Samsung is going to release a phone on time? Not gonna happen.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstrauss
    ......... Otherwise, maybe Samsung will release the i550 this decade.

Yeah sure Dale. Samsung is going to release a phone on time? Not gonna happen.
    Carl - quit bursting my bubble - I've still got 1907 days until January 1, 2010. Surely by then Samsung will release the i550.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.