Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's a good article that pretty much sums up what we've been saying here at TC for a while...

Look at the entry on Fri, Oct 8th:

http://mypalmlife.com/

Also linked to from PalmAddict

fp
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
    hmmm, it says AWS and Sprint will be the first ones with it...cool for me on AWS
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Well what other phone could we buy?
    After all of this very dissapointing news from P1, I've decided not to upgrade smartphones (I'm still here with my Treo 300) and get a new dell Axim X30. As for other phones with a similar feature set I would suggest the XDA II (I hate to second something that Ska says, but in this case he's right) or else the new samsung smartphone that should be coming out soon.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    What is EDGE in simple words?
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydPinkerton
    Here's a good article that pretty much sums up what we've been saying here at TC for a while...

fp
    the quote that worries me from the whole article: "Well, my source tells me it’s waaaaay buggy."
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydPinkerton

fp
    so what?? im going to get the treo 600 or 650, havent made up my mind yet. i dont know what the big deal is about wi fi. i mean you get the treo so that you can be completely wireless. i want to be able to be online, in the middle of a football field, at a night club, or at church even. thats the value of the treo. buying a wireless device then going to a "hotspot" seems like its defeating the purpose to me. i mean it would be nice to browse the treo at blazing speed, but its not a necessity. the pcs vision offers me dial up speed, virtually anywhere and thats what i want. i dont want to sit in starbucks drinking overpriced coffee surfing the web. im on the go. neither do i want to go to a noisy airport just to get broadband speed. i have broadband at work, and at school. mobility is the name of the game and the treo will give me that. i have my web, my email, my mp3s, movies, and most important, my game console emulators
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    buying a wireless device then going to a "hotspot" seems like its defeating the purpose to me.
    The value for many people is that outside of the US, GPRS is very expensive, hence WiFi is very popular. However Palm only focuses on the US market as seen by the great reviews Treo 600 gets within the US and sh*t reviews in UK and elsewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by RStall
    so what?? im going to get the treo 600 or 650, havent made up my mind yet. i dont know what the big deal is about wi fi. i mean you get the treo so that you can be completely wireless. i want to be able to be online, in the middle of a football field, at a night club, or at church even. thats the value of the treo. buying a wireless device then going to a "hotspot" seems like its defeating the purpose to me. i mean it would be nice to browse the treo at blazing speed, but its not a necessity. the pcs vision offers me dial up speed, virtually anywhere and thats what i want. i dont want to sit in starbucks drinking overpriced coffee surfing the web. im on the go. neither do i want to go to a noisy airport just to get broadband speed. i have broadband at work, and at school. mobility is the name of the game and the treo will give me that. i have my web, my email, my mp3s, movies, and most important, my game console emulators
    i want wifi because i want everything!
    wifi is a battery muncher and personally I have no need of it and do not want to pay extra for a device that has it. My treo is as wireless as I need it to be !!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    What is EDGE in simple words?
    faster data than GPRS

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

JOELE. NOT TRUE.........

PDA ESSENTIALS is a UK magazine. The Treo 600 has had wonderful reviews from them. They gave it "Editors Choice" award.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Don't read that, wonder what palm paid for that lol.

Didn't help their sales much?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    As for who will deliver edge see www.clubimate.com
    the treo has had very good reviews in the UK ...after all why wouldn't it ? It's the same device as they're selling in the US after all. Orange say that the treo phone generates the most revenue per customer...it's just that they haven't marketed it particularly well..if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    The value for many people is that outside of the US, GPRS is very expensive, hence WiFi is very popular. However Palm only focuses on the US market as seen by the great reviews Treo 600 gets within the US and sh*t reviews in UK and elsewhere!

A wifi card would also be usefull for those with a weak signal...or if you want to connect to your home network.
    Exactly. My main need for wifiis at home where I'd rather browse on my treo on the couch at 2Mb than at the 30Kb I get at my house if I can even get a sprint signal. How anyone can say sprint service is almost evrywhere is beyond me. In rare cases at best it can download for a few seconds at 56k speeds but usually it's much slower and hiccups, not loading anything for 5-30 seconds at a time. wifi needs to be standard and not some annoying separate card ala handspring modules. Done that and have no intention of card swapping again. If I have to get up and go to another room to my computer to use the wev without going nuts while my treo is in my pocket then it's not very useful.
    I want wifi so thats I can listen to high quality shoutcast. I want wifi so that it's faster to look up stuff on the treo than it is to break out my laptop look up the info and pack it back away. I want wifi so that I can start actually using ftp services on the run with more than just simple text files.

I'll take ev-do over wifi, but that's not going to be for a couple years out in my area, so I want wifi in place. And I agree, card swapping sucks, I really don't want to keep switching between a gps unit, an sdcard, and a wifi card. . . .especially not the wifi card and the sdcard.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    A wifi card would also be usefull for those with a weak signal...or if you want to connect to your home network.
    thats why i want wifi. i would like VOIP. sprint signal at my house is horrible. with voip i could use the handset in my basement. i could also use it at any hotspot and not use up those daytime minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    As for who will deliver edge see www.clubimate.com
    none of the imates there have EDGE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast