Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I want wifi for

1) Connecting to home network (ie. no expensive GPRS charges)
    2) High speed access while out an about if I happen to be near a hotspot
    3) Free internet access if I happen to be staying at a hotel with 'complimentary' wireless internet access (again to avoid expensive GPRS charges)
    4) To sync with my Mac FASTER than sluggish old bluetooth
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    The value for many people is that outside of the US, GPRS is very expensive, hence WiFi is very popular. However Palm only focuses on the US market as seen by the great reviews Treo 600 gets within the US and sh*t reviews in UK and elsewhere!
    From the ZDNet UK review of the Treo 600:

'No other company has done more to advance the concept of the all-in-one communicator than Handspring with its innovative Treo line. Although it will soon be subsumed by Palm, Handspring is still shaking things up with the Treo 600, a wholly new design that adds a camera, an expansion slot and other new ingredients to an already potent blend of phone and wireless handheld. The big news isn't that the Treo 600 can do all this -- other devices can too. It is that the Treo 600, which is now available from Orange at £199.99 (inc. VAT) with a monthly contract, does all of them well.'

From the Webuser review:

'Verdict
    Many of Handspring's handheld devices have been about making technology more affordable for a broader market, and the Treo 600 is a worthy successor. At this price point it's the perfect choice for the PDA and mobile phone user looking to converge the two, tying the power of a PDA running Palm's OS with everything Handspring and Orange know about technology and how we prefer to use it.'

From the IT Reviews review:

'It is not easy to produce a device that functions well as both a phone and a PDA. Many have tried, but few have come as close to success as Handspring has done with the Treo 600.'

The worst UK review I could find was from Pocket-lint:

'VERDICT
    Overall we have mixed feelings about this device. Such a fan of the 180 and 270 it does get a lot of new things right. For example the device is now a lot more compact and no longer an embarrassment to hold to the side of your head. However the annoyance of a shrinking keyboard and the unprotected screen did annoy us in the time that we had it for review. The other annoying element is that like the SPV this is an Orange exclusive and while they profess to be the number one operator in the UK that doesnít help the rest of us that are with someone else. Itís okay but itís up to you to decide whether itís worth switching networks over.'
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    T3 magazine gave it a **** review, as did Shaun at PDA24/7 formally Clie UK, he actually said he is putting it immediately on Ebay it is sooo bad!
  4.    #24  
    Let's face it, we all love our Treos for different reasons. I like it because I'm no longer tethered to my office. With the T600 I can do anything (work related) I need to do on the internet that I do at home on my pc or laptop. And hey, if I didn't already have the Treo600 I would be on the 650 like a chihuahua on a pork chop. My issue is simple, and has been said before:

Not enough upgrade to upgrade from the 600.

180, 270, 300 users must be very excited! But for those of us already used to the function of a 600, the 650 doesn't add much, or at least not enough to justify the BUSINESS expense (IMO). What's sad is this is how P1 has been all along - they never give you exactly what you want (or what's available). Look at what the article says about the Tungsten series. SSDD (Same S*!t, different device).

I started wondering if this would happen as soon as the news about Palm acquiring Handspring came out. Now it seems my fears have been realized.

Living in Portland Oregon, just about everywhere you go is a hotspot, so being able to get online with wi-fi speeds would probably be enough of a motivation to upgrade. Hi-res screen would be a plus, but this one has served me well thus far. Perhaps a wireless (BT) headset would be cool, but I'm sure that will be available on the next model too. I just wish I knew what P1 was thinking. I used to be heavily invested in them, but I sold my stock the moment confirmation came in that there was no wi-fi. I think P1 is going to take a hit because of it, and someone else is going to step up to bat unless they figure it out.

Treocentral's forum should be required reading for all P1 executives. It's a gold mine of information on the Treo, and a good market testing ground.

fp
    Last edited by FloydPinkerton; 10/11/2004 at 07:49 PM.
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
    T3 magazine gave it a **** review, as did Shaun at PDA24/7 formally Clie UK, he actually said he is putting it immediately on Ebay it is sooo bad!
    Do you have links for either of those? Searching T3 reviews with 'Treo' finds only a review of the 270. The list of reviews at PDA24/7 (Clie UK) has one review of the 600. It's by Patrick Robbe (not Shaun). This is his conclusion:

'Do I recommend the purchase of a Treo 600? Certainly so, but obviously not for everyone. As other have stated on this website column and in other places, not everyone needs a converged device, and as handy as they come in, there will be some space left for other solutions for a long time, I think! Am I content with my Treo 600? Definitely so! My PDA usage has maturated over the time, and I've reached a point where I mostly needs the PIM functions, the phone functions, and to be able to run a few selected PalmOS applications, and the Treo 600 lives up to those expectations. That doesn't mean that if/when a new Treo is released, with a higher resolution, I won't be tempted to upgrade again, but I know that for the next 12 months or so, I'll have no problem living with the Treo 600, quite the contrary! :-)'

Try as I might, I can't find anything to support your assertion that the 600 has had 'sh*t reviews in UK'. Basically, UK reviewers love it too!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The t3 review was this month in a smartphone round-up as for shaun's review it was only a mini-review on the news pages as "Itís so bad I couldnít even be bothered to write a proper review" anyway it is linked below!

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/News_Archive...3-8-2004.shtml

If it is loved in the UK so much why are sales poor there!
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    I want wifi for

1) Connecting to home network (ie. no expensive GPRS charges)
    2) High speed access while out an about if I happen to be near a hotspot
    3) Free internet access if I happen to be staying at a hotel with 'complimentary' wireless internet access (again to avoid expensive GPRS charges)
    4) To sync with my Mac FASTER than sluggish old bluetooth
    Why do you keep putting up with "expensive GPRS charges"? $15 per month for unlimited Vision on Sprint is faster and a whole lot cheaper.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The t3 review was this month in a smartphone round-up as for shaun's review it was only a mini-review on the news pages as "Itís so bad I couldnít even be bothered to write a proper review" anyway it is linked below!

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/News_Archive...3-8-2004.shtml

If it is loved in the UK so much why are sales poor there!
    Actually I agree with this reviewer's major complaint - that the screen is too bright in a dark room. I don't think I'm in danger of eye strain, but it would be nice to have a lower brightness option. I didn't really have the problem adjusting to the low-res that Shaun had (perhaps because I don't use Agendus) and network connection has never been much of a problem for me (although I know it has for others). I do agree that 'the next Treo could be the one to wait for'

Anyway, joele, in this thread between us we've provided links to six UK reviews. I think it is fair to summarise these as four very positive, one mixed and one poor. Whether the latter can really be regarded as 'sh*t' is pretty subjective. Given these stats how about reconsidering the statement 'However Palm only focuses on the US market as seen by the great reviews Treo 600 gets within the US and sh*t reviews in UK and elsewhere!'?

As to sales, I've not seen any figures, but can only report that when I needed to replace my Orange UK Treo earlier this year - the first one drowned itself - it was impossible to get one from Orange - they had none in stock. Given that they'd had some previously I think we have to conclude that they'd sold out! Do have a link to UK sales stats?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    OK, well those two were the only two uk reviews I had read, so maybe was exposed to the worst reviews for treo 600? Although I agree with all Shaun said after having 2 hires palms I could not adjust to a low-res screen again (i did try, lol)...

As for sales I would have to spend some time searching, I thought it was linked somewhere on this forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Why do you keep putting up with "expensive GPRS charges"? $15 per month for unlimited Vision on Sprint is faster and a whole lot cheaper.
    because Sprint doesn't exist in his country
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une ťmission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    What is EDGE in simple words?

See Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    because Sprint doesn't exist in his country
    My apologies. Don't know how I missed the UK connection.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Although EDGE requires no hardware changes to be made in GSM core networks, Base Stations must be modified. An EDGE compatible tranceiver unit must be installed and base station system needs to be upgraded to support EDGE. New mobile terminal hardware and software is also required to decode/encode using the new shift keying scheme.
    Above is a quote from the link posted by copernicus. Does the bolded portion mean that new phones are required to utilize EDGE?
    yes

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    none of the imates there have EDGE
    Sorry got confused with EVDO
    no problem, Imate 3 definately has a variant that does that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12