1.    #1  
    Is anybody able to predict if we will be able to upgrade our new treo650's from Garnett to Cobalt? I have been waiting for a year for this model to come out but start hesitating if I should wait for a cobalt version.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    mmm, I may be wrong but IMHO I doubt there will be an upgrade from Garnet to Cobolt, next year we will hopefully see some Cobolt devices released...
    I seriously doubt it. Handspring has never done upgrades in the past. Why would they start now? Even though they are a part of PalmOne, it still a Handspring product. I suspect the same with the 650 because its not really any different than the 600. The next one, a Treo 700 or what ever they call it will be a true PalmOne device and then I bet it will be upgradeable.

Derek
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by computerfixitguy
    I seriously doubt it. Handspring has never done upgrades in the past. Why would they start now? Even though they are a part of PalmOne, it still a Handspring product.
    There is no more "Handspring", and there are no "Handspring products". It's a PalmOne product and sports PalmOne logos. Business decisions are also made by PalmOne.

That said, unless PalmOne anticipates a new OS release certified for the Treo within the next year, I doubt they invested money in flash memory. The general availability of the OS through PalmSource doesn't mean PalmOne will be quick to adopt it (as well with the Tungsten T5).

The upgradability/ability to flash to a newer OS is generally overrated. In the 8 years I've been playing with Palm devices, I believe I upgraded my OS only once through an official upgrade, and I've messed around with development ROMs a few times. Like most OS upgrades, you're typically far better off with newer hardware as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    .....Like most OS upgrades, you're typically far better off with newer hardware as well.
    I agree. I no longer try to upgrade operating systems on old hardware. This is particularly true for Palm. Twice I have tried to upgrade to new versions and twice I had to fall back.

Palm upgrades leave a lot of orphan applications behind them. One must assume that when upgrading Palm operating systems, one will also have to upgrade applications. Moreover, applications intended for a single task environment often fail to work in a mult-tasking one.
    The Treo requires so many special phone/keyboard software add-ons to the OS that it's a virtual certainty that you won't be able to upgrade. It doesn't make financial since for Palm either. Even if you could upgrade, it wouldn't likely go smoothly.

I hope we don't get another 4 more threads about upgrading the OS. As far as I can tell there's nothing historical that would suggest this would happen.