1.    #1  
    When I got my Treo the Verizon rep in the store indicated that they had a feature called "Voice Gear", but the technical services rep said that this service was no longer available.

Has anyone heard of voice recognition software that is compatible with the Treo600 or the Palm OS?
    Sprint's voice dialing 'feature' is voice command, at the service level, not the phone level. You dial a number and their automated operator listens to your requests and puts through calls for you.. its a crock of ***t =)

There are several threads on this but I'm too lazy to go find them and link back =P
  3.    #3  
    I was afraid that it would be carrier specific, and Sprint's method sounds horrible. I will do another search on the topic. I must not have looked hard enough. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWahoo
    I was afraid that it would be carrier specific, and Sprint's method sounds horrible. I will do another search on the topic. I must not have looked hard enough. Thanks
    Ideally such a system should be handsfree as it is in some cars.

I have used the Sprint system on both a Motorola SprintPCS phone and on Sprint long distance. [No longer a PCS or Sprint LD subscriber. Use T-Mobile and Vonage.] I have also used software on a Nokia 8890. I liike them all.

The Sprint system is very sophisticated. It provides for 500 listings with three or four numbers for each listing. One can update the directory on the web. It does text to voice and voice to text. One can have a nick-name for each entry. One can say "Call directoryentry at home (work, on the mobile phone, or at other)." There are also pre-recorded entries for major airlines and hotels. Its limitation with the Treo is that one must use the phone, rather than the headset button, to initiate the call. Said another way, it is not handsfree. This is a Treo limitation, not a Voice Command limitation.

By contrast, on the Nokia one can initiate the software from the headset button and, after the software confirms the listing, it initiates the call. Not quite handsfree but close enough. In part because it is analog, the Nokia can deal with only ten entries, one number per entry. and is speaker dependent.
    There is no voice dialing application available for the Treo. It's been discussed and one developer even said he was going to develop one, but that never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWahoo
    When I got my Treo the Verizon rep in the store indicated that they had a feature called "Voice Gear", but the technical services rep said that this service was no longer available.

Has anyone heard of voice recognition software that is compatible with the Treo600 or the Palm OS?

You probably already know by now that you have a choice between VoiceLauncher by JFMw and Voice Dialer by Grover Industries

I expect more will show up, especially if good voice recognition is built into the T650 as they claim.