1.    #1  
    Im curious why people are looking at the Treo 650 over the HP 6315? Im currently debating myself, but it seems to me the 6315 has more to offer?

Both have bluetooth 1.1.
    Both have Qwerty keyboards.
    Both have removable batteries.
    The HP 6315 has WiFi, and no WiFI on the Treo650.
    The HP 6315 has 64 MB of RAM compared to 32 on the Treo650.

The only thing I can think of, it the HP 6315 has a slower processor (200 mhz vs 312, right)? I hear the 6315 is optimized to save power though.

The only other thing I dont know is the camera, but I hear the HP 6315 is "excellent" on most research I've found, and the Treo's will be a 1.3, which should be very good too, although even at 1.3, I've seen some crappy pictures from 1.3 cameras that were worse than some with less megapixels.

Any thoughts guys? Is the HP 6315 only available on T-mobile? Anyway, any thoughts or comments you guys have would help, I think this is my only other choice Im considering outside of the Treo 650, but I want to make the right one.
    Last edited by TracerHawk; 10/08/2004 at 10:24 AM.
    One major difference - the size. As much as they have reduced the PPc size for the 6315 it is still noticeably larger than the Treo. I put my Treo alongside the 6315 at a CompUSA. As a Tmobile user I could go either way, but I am going to hold out for the smaller Treo 650.
    The Treo 650 is:

Smaller
    333 MHz Processor
    Better Camera than the HP

If you buy any GSM "unlocked" phone, you can take that phone to ANY GSM carrier at any time.

I've taken some pretty good photos even with the T600's camera. The key is good lighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    One major difference - the size. As much as they have reduced the PPc size for the 6315 it is still noticeably larger than the Treo. I put my Treo alongside the 6315 at a CompUSA. As a Tmobile user I could go either way, but I am going to hold out for the smaller Treo 650.

I talked to T-Moble the other day and they have no idea what the T650 is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    I talked to T-Moble the other day and they have no idea what the T650 is.
    I don't know what a T650 is either, but I have an idea of what a Treo 650 is. You are extremely lucky if a carriers and/or Palm does acknowledge the Treo 650's existance. Just because they say they don't know what it is, doesn't mean it won't be released tomorrow. It just means that they can't say anything about it.
    I don't see a Qwerty keyboard in the hp 6315 at http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...w=HP+iPaq+6315
    Maybe a snap-on something, but that's not the same. It's something else you have to carry along and hence destroy the whole idea of convergence.

From that article:
    "I don't like having the keyboard attached as it makes the iPaq "UnPocket PC" so the best way to tap out digits is using a stylus or your finger on the screen. Try walking down the street and doing this, it's challenging. Then try doing this in New York City where every five steps the iPaq picks up a new wireless network and pops up a window asking if you'd like to connect, this window appears right over where the "2" button was on the screen you wanted to push so now you have to close the modal window using a stylus to get at the small "Yes" button and then go back to dialing the number. You'll have to turn off wi-fi in such instances, or you'll go batty and want to throw your $599 phone."

"When first trying to attach the keyboard I was frustrated by the fact the iPaq did not recognize the new hardware immediately. No matter what I did the keyboard wouldn't work. You have to go into Start > Settings > iPaq Keyboard > check "enable keyboard" to get the thing working, but even after doing this it was no go for me. I had to soft reset the device and do this process again to finally get the iPaq to recognize the keyboard and start working with it. Doing soft resets to solve problems is not a desirable thing and reflects the fact either the hardware or the OS is slightly buggy."

-- 240 x 320 screen vs. 320 x 320
    -- VGA camera (640 x 480) "I'll never use the camera except for when demonstrating the device to people and saying, 'hey look, it even has a camera.'"
    -- "Slow processor at 168MHz"

In short, the main difference to me is that this is kind of a Frankenphone. It's a PDA glued to a phone with a keyboard attachment and presented as a converged device. Plugging in a keyboard is bad enough, but to have it not recognize it or whatever is inexcusable to me. When the keyboard is part of the phone you don't have these issues.