Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    there are hundreds of millions more gsm users than cdma. nuff said.
    There are hundreds of thousands of Ford users for every Ferrari user. Your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    CITIES UPDATE

New York City: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    San Francisco: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Denver: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    San Diego: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    Minneapolis: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Chicago
    Las Vegas
    Philadelphia
    Boston
    Dallas
    How did you come by this ranking?
    Off to iPhone land...
    Can someone in NYC who has Verizon and Internet on Treo run a dslreports test for me (best out of 3)?

Just point your treo to "http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed"
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    CITIES UPDATE

New York City: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    San Francisco: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Denver: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    San Diego: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    Minneapolis: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Chicago
    Las Vegas
    Philadelphia
    Boston
    Dallas
    I think the minneapolis part is right. I have had AT&T, verizion, and sprint. Sprint has been the best for me. T-mobile and verizion are good if you never leave the city or suburbs, and at&t is ok. What is the criteria for this? It seems like each carrier has a strong point in my market, if only you could get it all with one carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    There are hundreds of thousands of Ford users for every Ferrari user. Your point?
    Excellent comparison! LOL
    I like GSM because as others point out I can swap SIMs from phone to phone as needed (basically you are moving your phone number around). As for which carriers support which standards, see http://laserphernalia.com/#att (this article mainly talks about phone lock in). I travel overseas fairly often so I like to use local SIMs (gives me a local phone number in whatever country I am in, saving substantial cost). In my case, AT&T offers the best price and coverage. I moved my wife to VZW and paid the $175 early termination to move her back. They had no coverage at my house and didn't seem to want to do anything about it except trying to sell me on another 2 year contract to give me a 'phone that might work better.' I pay AT&T $50/month for 2 lines, 550 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, and free nights and weekends from 7-7. My company affiliation gives me 25% off on top of that. Their customer service seems to be getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Analogy doesn't work. Both Fords and Ferraris use the same roads and gasoline.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Percent
    Analogy doesn't work. Both Fords and Ferraris use the same roads and gasoline.
    actually ford recommends regular unleaded in most of thier vehicles.
    the ferrarri recommends premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    I am sure this has been asked before but I could not find any Threads on it.

Do I want to stay with CDMA or do I want to go with a GSM carrier?

Isn't GSM older technology? (I do not travel overseas)
    If you don't travel, all the sudden, GSM doesn't matter so much. That's my number one reason to have a GSM phone, despite slower data rates.

The SIM Portability? I never used it, I just have a new phone number every year.

Just go for the best plan that fits your needs, GSM or CMDA. Happy Shopping !
    CDMA vs GSM, both techn ologies are doing a make over. GSM cariers are going to a cdma based technologie called umts, but there are only 6 markets. The CDMA carriers mainly verizon is building there network with upgraded cdma with ev-do. Now that cingular is taking over att this week, they will have a bigger coverage area. Wait until after the merger and if your service still sucks swap carriers. I am sure it won't be long before there will be price wars after the merger.
    http://www.silicon.com/networks/mobi...0006367,00.htm

Interesting trend. Intuitively, I thought it was the other way around - but the numbers speak for themselves.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    I am sure this has been asked before but I could not find any Threads on it.

Do I want to stay with CDMA or do I want to go with a GSM carrier?

Isn't GSM older technology? (I do not travel overseas)
    Triple xXx,
    Has your question been answered? What is your decision?
    GSM is the best choice. Data with EDGE is just as fast as 1xrtt and voice wise GSM sounds much better. With the merger, Cingular will have the largest Digital network. Seems obvious to me.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I am really glad to see that GSM is gaining on CDMA in this country. GSM carriers treat their customers better -- except for AT&T, and look what happened to them.
    I want SIM cards, wide choice of phones, unlocked phones, and goddamit stop suppressing features like bluetooth and wifi just because they make it possible to do things you don't want us to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I want SIM cards, wide choice of phones, unlocked phones, and goddamit stop suppressing features like bluetooth and wifi just because they make it possible to do things you don't want us to do.
    AMEN and AMEN!

Number portability should only be the beginning. We need unlocked phones and the abilitiy to purchase SIM cards (or the equivalent) which will enable us to port our equipment to any carrier. We are are really behind times in the US in this regard.

...and I'm a Verizonwireless customer.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234