Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    No GSM on this list! What info are you using to compile this list?

The floor is yours Mdeshur -- name a GSM city where data transmission is superior to CDMA on a Treo 600. The thread is unanimous that the Treo 600's support of CDMA 1xRTT is superior in data speeds to GSM (GPRS). Morever, the Treo 600 doesn't support EDGE data transmission technology as of yet which in itself is not a great improvement over GPRS according to AT&T http://forums.attwireless.com/attws...message.id=1330

Nominate a city and let's see how CDMA users in that city evaluate the GSM you propose.
    Cdma...woot!!!!
    I have Sprint CDMA, and I love it. I was surprised that GSM fares so poorly.
    I had 3 of the major GSM carriers. Cingular, ATT, and T-mobile...They just don;t compare in service to Sprint. I'm sure Verizon ranks right up there with Sprint.
    I travel all the western states for the majority of my work week and I have never been disappointed by the TMO GSM network coverage. Actually in comparision to my colleagues who use Sprint CDMA the coverage is better in some of the "booney" areas because of TMO roaming agreements. Along major interstates I can leave my laptop "online" through a bluetooth connection and forget about it.
    Earlier in the tread someone mentioned convergence devices. In Asia, where I spend the other part of my work week, they already have phones that do both CDMA and GSM.
    I guess I am biased on the GSM side because in the times I expected to be disappointed I was actually pleasantly surprised. One time I sent heafty megapix photos with only one bar on my phone!
    I respect your bias Batoje given your job demands. However, I'd like it if you would name a city. I think it would create an interesting dialogue. Perhaps PalmOne/AT&T/Cingular/TMo are listening.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by batoje
    I guess I am biased on the GSM side because in the times I expected to be disappointed I was actually pleasantly surprised. One time I sent heafty megapix photos with only one bar on my phone!

This is probably very likely the case, it takes less signal for data, than it does voice.
    there are hundreds of millions more gsm users than cdma. nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    Okay, now name a GSM city where data transmission speed is superior to CDMA on a Treo 600. Millions of GSM users doth not make a data network's speed faster. Enough said! The End!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    The Samsung SCH-a790 World Phone is a converged CDMA GSM phone. It is the first that I have heard of but does not surprise me. I understand that it will be available from Verizon, use CDMA in the US, but GSM elsewhere.
    By understanding is that the GSM part of this phone is non US bands only. I beleive it is 850/1900 CDMA, 900/1800 GSM. That give you US CDMA coverage but allows you to use the same phone when traveling internationally.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    Interesting thread and has really made me think about this. I worked for Lucent in the wireless data arena for a few years and I have been using 3G technology since around 2001 and have done trials with Sprint 1xRTT, Verizon 1xRTT and soon particpating in the EvDO launch, and AT&T GPRS and EDGE. I have only been testing these technologies from an aircard perspective, not a converged device. Also, I am in Dallas.

Speaking data only, CDMA is by far a superior technology and has an easier migration to CDMA2000, the panacia of 3G wireless data. But, do you really need 4Mb. on a Treo?

I use AT&T GSM for voice and it has gotten better over the last year. I trialed EDGE a year ago when they launched it in Dallas and I have a 6820 that I use for data access for my T3 (via BlueTooth). EDGE may be slightly faster than 1xRTT but 1x is a more solid product. It might just be the implementation or it could be latency issues because of the overhead in the wireless frames but from an end user perspective, the Sprint 1xRTT solution I use is bulletproof. EDGE is sub-par in reliability, even though when the stars are aligned, I can get better throughput.

Still, understanding the technology and being a user of both sides, I like CDMA better for data. For voice, I still like AT&T's GSM and therein lies the rub. If I move to a converged device, I am torn as to what to do. Sprint's data solution is superior in my experience but AT&T has better voice coverage/quality than Sprint. This all of course is my experience here in Texas.
    I agree with this assessment. I am in the process of swithcing my voice to a GSM carrier (Cingular), but leaving my laptop data card with Sprint, and will upgrade it to an EVDO card when (if) available.
    Carl
    Incredibly informative website. This helped me decide that Verizon is the best for me, but they won't carry the 650 for ever (damnit). Slightly dated, but still great: http://sfbacell.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms

Um....actually there isnt....

Sprint and Verizon are "Killing it" with CDMA.

Sorry!

My experience is that Verizon CDMA has much better coverage than any GSM carrier. I just returned to the US from Europe and have been travelling within the US carrying both my European GSM Treo 600 (which connects to the strongest GSM network in any area) and my Verizon CDMA phone (not a Treo). I've been in a lot of places in which I got no GSM signal but the Verizon worked, and so far none in which I got only a GSM signal. I am of course hooked on the Treo and am waiting until Verizon starts carrying the 650 to replace my present CDMA phone. Meantime if anyone wants to swap a Verizon Treo 600 for my generic GSM version, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    Um....actually there isnt....

Sprint and Verizon are "Killing it" with CDMA.

Sorry!

With regards to a comment by Japorms. He/she is totally correct (if looked at globally).

There are 1 billion+++ GSM users worldwide. GSM leads CDMA in almost all parts of the world, including Latin America... almost all except the US, Korea and a few 'outcrops'. CDMA subscribers number about 200million... but almost half of this number are in the US alone.

Go to gsmworld.com and you can see a 'real-time' counter of GSM subscribers. It's a frightening thing.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmoko
    Go to gsmworld.com and you can see a 'real-time' counter of GSM subscribers. It's a frightening thing.
    Okay - apologies in advance; but who cares. CDMA works, and works very well, especially for data service. GSM, even with EDGE which is just rolling out now, gets you maybe 20-30% better data speeds on a good day, but I've been enjoying Vision for nearly THREE YEARS and will move on to EV-DO late next year.

The only thing going for GSM is the SIM card approach which "Should" get you mobility between services, but that's a pipe dream here and overseas. Just try to switch locked phones stateside, and my son generally needed a new SIM every time he crossed a border in Europe. So what's the great advantage?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The only thing going for GSM is the SIM card approach which "Should" get you mobility between services, but that's a pipe dream here and overseas. Just try to switch locked phones stateside, and my son generally needed a new SIM every time he crossed a border in Europe. So what's the great advantage?
    Let us compare appls to appls here.

Buying a locked phone is a choice. It is a financing choice. I still own and use five GSM phones. None of them has ever been locked. 2 of the 5 are quad band, and 2 of the remaining three are triple band. The last covers only all of Europe and Africa.

Similarly, buying additional SIMS is about the money. While I have, once or twice, purchased pre-paid SIMS in foreign countries, for the most part I simply roam. T-Mobile does a pretty good job of negotiating roaming rates. However, for reasons of coverage or service (e.g., GPRS), I sometimes use networks other than T-Mo's default choice. Again, this all about the money.

I have and use two SIMs. One is from T-Mobile. However, the second is from Sprint. That's right, Sprint. It enables me to receive calls on my Sprint number using a GSM phone, if only outside North America. I can also make calls on a GSM phone and charge them to my Sprint account. In a couple of months, Verizon plans to offer a CDMA/GSM phone. Like Sprint, they will have roaming agreements with GSM carriers.

One can make an international call on one's GSM phone more cheaply and with far greater ease than from one's hotel room phone. I made a one hour call from Hong Kong to Boston. The call quality was like I was next door. The cost for the call was less than I would have paid from Springfield to Boston a decade ago, while tethered to the end of a wire. The call barely put a dent in the battery of my Treo 270.

When I bought my first (AMPS) phone for $1500-, I paid $1 per minute for local service, plus $1 per minute roaming, plus toll charges. Nationwide roaming, much less international roaming, was a pipe dream. My cellular bill routinely ran over $400 for a fraction of the service I get now for less than $100.

I am not a GSM bigot. I own stock in Qualcom and have done well in it. I really do have a Sprint account and own stock in Sprint PCS. But I think we should have a little better sense of proportion here and a little less zealotry.

Digital wireless technology is wonderful. It is liberating and empowering. It becomes more efficient almost by the minute. While all of the services have some limitations that others do not have, they pale next to the advantages. Yes, we must still make choices and, yes, in the short run they are often painful. However, we are worrying about things here that our children will never even notice, much less fight over.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    All down to 'roaming agreements'.

Using my Swisscom card, I managed to have a signal, including GPRS on the Greece mainland, on boats, on the islands of Crete, Santorini, Rhodes, Patmos and in Istanbul (Europe and Asia sides). The 3 people from the States who brought their CDMA phones (they genuinely thought they would work) couldn't believe it. Oh, was also on the tiny island of Tobago, just off the coast of Venezuela. GSM even works there!

If you come to Europe and you buy a SIM card, make sure the sales person shows you the list of roaming partners. There are some very cheap cards - offering a very cheap service, ie. some cards literally only work in that country. It's all about what service you want and what you are willing to pay.

But if you don't travel outside of the States, stick to CDMA
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    I agree with this assessment. I am in the process of swithcing my voice to a GSM carrier (Cingular), but leaving my laptop data card with Sprint, and will upgrade it to an EVDO card when (if) available.
    Verizon has released EvDO in Atlanta:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...dband%20Access

and the following cities:
    • Washington, DC
    • San Diego, CA
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • New York, NY
    • Philadelphia, PA
    • Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Austin, TX
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Tampa, FL
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Milwaukee, WI

I don't see Dallas in the list but they just released it here... I just received my EvDO card Wednesday!

btw, Verizon code names EvDo "BroadbandAccess." In my opionion, that creates more confusion.
    My .02

I've carried TMO, Sprint and ATT over the last ten years.

I travel all over the country, with about a 60/40 split between rural areas and major markets. Often I fly to a major city and then drive to my destination 100-200 miles from there.

I keep going back to Sprint. GSM coverage is pretty good with Cingular these days - my wife just switched to them, and their network positively stomps on TMO. When the merger is complete with AT&T, the GSM is going to be even stronger.

But I still can't get all the coverage I want in all the places I need with GSM, and Sprint, by and large, has been the "old reliable" network that I keep coming back to. Some of their plans cost a little more, but it's less important to me because my company pays the bill. I need the sucker to work (I REALLY need native PDF support, but I won't rant on that here) and that means Sprint.

I am *considering* a swap to Cingular, getting a T637 and dumping my Treo altogether, but that's about the Treo, not the network, per se.

-b
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast