Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Here in the NYC area, Verizon CDMA is thought to have much better coverage, but I haven't had any problem with my GSM service from TMobile. Only on TMobile, coverage is restricted to highways & cities if you go upstate and Verizon GSM covers rural areas better.

If you travel abroad, though, definitely get GSM. It's great to be able to by a pay-as-you-go SIM card and have a phone number for whatever country you're in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    This assumes The Muffin Man's slides are correct regarding the Treo 650 supporting EDGE.
    I was talking with T-Mo about how slow my network speed is on my T600 and the service rep said that it would be faster when they roll out EDGE. I asked if the T600 would support EDGE and was told yes. Was I given wrong information?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    I was talking with T-Mo about how slow my network speed is on my T600 and the service rep said that it would be faster when they roll out EDGE. I asked if the T600 would support EDGE and was told yes. Was I given wrong information?
    Perhaps not but it will likely involve a firmware upgrade. I would expect more than that to be involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by TPucca
    If you travel abroad, though, definitely get GSM. It's great to be able to by a pay-as-you-go SIM card and have a phone number for whatever country you're in.
    Perhaps. That is certainly true if you expect to be there long enough to distribute that number to local calling parties and if you expect to make a lot of local calls. If you are not a local subscriber, then even local calls may be charged at an international roaming rate.

However, it is also a function of local tariffs and the roaming agreements. In a large part of the world, one pays for outgoing calls but not for incoming.

Note that if you put a foreign sim in your phone, calls to your usual number go to voice mail and you pay international rates to check for them.

I rarely do anything when in a foreign country. I continue to use my own sim and make calls as though I am at home. My friends and colleagues who call me do not object to the cost of calling my US number, one they already know; I do not object to the cost of having their calls delivered to me on a foreign network. I do not compare the cost of this to the lowest rate that I might get but to the cost of making calls from a hotel room and to the overall cost of the trip. It is often difficult to figure out how to make even a local call from a foreign hotel room, much less a call back to the states. It is much easier to make calls the way you normally do.

[Remember that on most cellular networks in the world, one must precede all off-network calls with a + sign and the country code or network code of the destination network. That is true even if one has a local sim. What we think of as a "country code," for example 44 for the UK, may be a network code. For example, in South Africa, there are two cellular networks and a landline network, each with its own prefix. My sister was at the end of a one week trip to Hong Kong before we figured out that the reason that she could not complete calls home was that she was not using the + sign.]
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/09/2004 at 05:44 PM.
    I have used Treos on Sprint PCS and T-Mobile and a little bit on AT&TWS. For voice, I like the "sound" of GSM somewhat better.

For data, SPCS (CDMA) absolutely blows T-Mobile (GSM) out of the water. Identical web pages load that load in 60 seconds on T-Mobile load in 30-45 seconds on SPCS. I compared two Treos side by side on the same web sites and SPCS was consistently and noticeably faster. The comparison was done in the financial district of San Francisco.

FWIW - no Treo 600, CDMA or GSM has any analog capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by spsims
    I have used Treos on Sprint PCS and T-Mobile and a little bit on AT&TWS. For voice, I like the "sound" of GSM somewhat better.

For data, SPCS (CDMA) absolutely blows T-Mobile (GSM) out of the water. Identical web pages load that load in 60 seconds on T-Mobile load in 30-45 seconds on SPCS. I compared two Treos side by side on the same web sites and SPCS was consistently and noticeably faster. The comparison was done in the financial district of San Francisco.

It's true that CDMA is faster on the data side on the T600 than GSM right now. If it is true that the Treo 650 will be EDGE ready then the GSM version will be faster than the CDMA version and still have superior battery life.

T-Mobile is scheduled to have EDGE fully deployed by June 2005. I don't know about Cingular or AT&T. I think At&t has EDGE is several major cities but, they are concentrating more on expanding UTMS. It will be Cool though when Verizon and Sprint have EvDo. As far as UTMS, I think it may be overtaken by FLARION. Nextel, T-Mobile International, and Vodaphone are testing it and I have read excellent reviews for it so far. The Future looks bright for Highspeed data competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by spsims

-----------------------------------
    Dude, I am really glad you PUT YOUR .02 cents in. I live in the SF Bay (work in Oakland) and wanted to know which carrier was going to provide the best service today. I was told that AT&T started (June 04) their UTMS service (test marketing) covering a span from Richmond to San Jose. I was told that by a AT&T TECH advisor. They have a GSM data only department. He informed me that it was available to any user on the GSM system, but only laptop users with a (UTMS PCMCIA card) and to some of the newer phones capable of receiving the UTMS signals. His ph. is 800-522-3373. I'm planning on going with SPRINT unless the T650 has UTMS capability.

Someone should produce a listing of cities showing the prevailing carriers and a rank the data rates for each carrier as it relates to the T600 and later the T650. So far, I've gathered the following from reading these threads.

New York City Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    San Francisco Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Los Angeles Best Treo carrier: ?????? ?????
    San Diego Best Treo carrier: ?????? ?????
    Chicago
    Las Vegas
    Philadelphia
    Boston
    Dallas
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/10/2004 at 03:20 AM.
    I can add
    Denver: Sprint (cdma)
    San Diego: Verizon (cdma 1xEVDO) (second place Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    Yes, the T600 does NOT support EDGE, no firmware upgrade can fix that, it's a problem with the radio chips.

Hopefully the T650 supports EDGE (Magic 8 Ball says: Rumors point to Yes)
    Minneapolis: Sprint CDMA is probalby the best coverage, although if the T650 supports Quad Band GSM and EDGE, T-Mobile might be better after EDGE roll-out.

The big thing with quad GSM is the ability to do GSM-850. This band is being deployed by smaler GSM carriers, like dobson wireless. It is being used to cover rural areas where 1800-1900mhz just don't work well.. (distance/foliage) T-Mobile recently started a roaming agreement with Dobson, and a friend of mine who's T-Mobile phone didn't work at all in the sticks (lake cabin in northern MN) now works with full signal.. and my trusty Denso Sprint phone sorta works, if i stand on a hill with it up in the air.
    You're welcome. I'll be interested to hear what others have experienced in other cities.
    CITIES UPDATE

New York City: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    San Francisco: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Denver: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    San Diego: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    Minneapolis: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Chicago
    Las Vegas
    Philadelphia
    Boston
    Dallas
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/10/2004 at 03:18 AM.
    Great thread!
    I have been wrestling with the GSM v. CDMA question for about a year now. When I bought my T600 last October I looked at GSM. I had been a Sprint customer for 4 years, and was happy with the coverage. The prospect of the T600 doing dual band digital roaming (I had been using a T300 prior) on VZW iced the cake. I have found that when Sprint does not have coverage, I can almost ALWAYS find a CDMA signal (usually on VZW or USCC). In short, CDMA coverage with the Treo has been great. I dont travel internationally very often, but do travel the US fairly extensivly on business (larger metros), but also spend a lot of time on weekends camping with my kids Scout groups. So I have been able to evaluate coverage in larger cities as well as the boonies.

Last October, I opted to stay with Sprint because a comparison of coverage maps of GSM in the US show that GSM's US coverage was just not up to my needs. Foward fast this comparison to June of this year. Cingular has finished their GSM overlay and coverage looks much better. So I bought a Cingular GSM phone to keep side by side with my Sprint Treo to see REALLY what the coverage comparisions are like. Over the past 2+ months, my overall impression is the CDMA coverage is still better, BUT, it is not significant. GSM is certainly catching up. In GA, Cingular has been rolling out additonal coverage. I am still torn if my T650 will be CDMA or GSM, but I think either choice will be fine.

Why even make this consideration? Better battery life and movement of the SIM from phone to phone are advantages. I do like the idea that when I do go out of the US, I will be able to use my phone, either roaming or with a local SIM.

One place I think that CDMA is beating the pants off of GSM is with data. I do like that you can roam on GPRS with GSM, but overall, Sprint and VZW are much further ahead on data coverage and speed. VZW has EVDO rolled out in about 16 markets and a few more airport, but Sprint says they will have their entire network up to EVDO early in 2005. Most of my data needs on my Treo are checking email. While I do check scores once in a while on my Treo, I really dont use the web browser much on it. I also telnet to servers at my office over a VPN connection, but telnet data loads are small compared to looking at web pages. For REAL data needs I have a data card (Sprint Vision) for my laptop. If I do decide to move my voice needs to Cingular GSM, I will keep my data account with Sprint, and buy an EVDO card when they arrive.
    Carl
    I read on the AT&T forum that the Treo 650 will have EDGE, he was a beta tester and replied at first to someone's question if it has EDGE, and said no, then later came back and said yes cause he had a beta test version in his hand.

http://forums.attwireless.com/attws/...essage.id=1330

AT&T has EDGE nation wide, its been this way since last year sometime just not a lot of handsets to support it I suspose. EDGE is faster than 1rxtt, I keep reading that everyone is waiting for EDVO or UMTS to make their decision on the 650, well its not going to support either at launch its going to be EDGE or 1rxtt.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    .... It a lot easier to converge the phones than the networks.......
    The Samsung SCH-a790 World Phone is a converged CDMA GSM phone. It is the first that I have heard of but does not surprise me. I understand that it will be available from Verizon, use CDMA in the US, but GSM elsewhere.
    Interesting thread and has really made me think about this. I worked for Lucent in the wireless data arena for a few years and I have been using 3G technology since around 2001 and have done trials with Sprint 1xRTT, Verizon 1xRTT and soon particpating in the EvDO launch, and AT&T GPRS and EDGE. I have only been testing these technologies from an aircard perspective, not a converged device. Also, I am in Dallas.

Speaking data only, CDMA is by far a superior technology and has an easier migration to CDMA2000, the panacia of 3G wireless data. But, do you really need 4Mb. on a Treo?

I use AT&T GSM for voice and it has gotten better over the last year. I trialed EDGE a year ago when they launched it in Dallas and I have a 6820 that I use for data access for my T3 (via BlueTooth). EDGE may be slightly faster than 1xRTT but 1x is a more solid product. It might just be the implementation or it could be latency issues because of the overhead in the wireless frames but from an end user perspective, the Sprint 1xRTT solution I use is bulletproof. EDGE is sub-par in reliability, even though when the stars are aligned, I can get better throughput.

Still, understanding the technology and being a user of both sides, I like CDMA better for data. For voice, I still like AT&T's GSM and therein lies the rub. If I move to a converged device, I am torn as to what to do. Sprint's data solution is superior in my experience but AT&T has better voice coverage/quality than Sprint. This all of course is my experience here in Texas.
    For me, it's all about coverage in teh areas I go most, and Verizon wins. Hands down.
    Since the is the #1 criteria forme in a phone, Verizon is my carrier, regardless of other phones I might lust after (MpX, this means you), I do not plan to switch unless some other carrier beefs up their coverge where it matters to me.
    TreoBeard,

check this out: Re: "Edge" http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=59447
    Quote Originally Posted by temfate
    According to the reports I've seen the 650 WILL support analog... It might not, but this is open for debate.
    I would be surprised if the Treo 650 supports analog. The 600 is digital only and everthing is moving away from analog. It would be nice though.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    CITIES UPDATE

New York City: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    San Francisco: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Denver: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    San Diego: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    Minneapolis: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Chicago
    Las Vegas
    Philadelphia
    Boston
    Dallas
    No GSM on this list! What info are you using to compile this list?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast