1.    #1  
    At the NYC Road Show, they distributed a copy of their PPT presentation. On page 15 of this handout, they have a bullet item that states that the technology for our "Next Big Thing" exists today.

This is a slide from the section on UI. Based on this, I started thinking about what the "NBT" could be. Here's a theory.

How about a Treo without a touch screen?
    The center of the 5-way looks to be in the perfect place to be a scroll mouse.
    I personally always thought the 5-way navigation and the QWERTY keyboard were small step towards eventually eliminating the need for a touchscreen.

If there was a way to guide a cursor around the screen using the center of the 5-way, and there was a way to make it usable, would they eliminate the touchscreen altogether?

Although there would be many complaints against this, what if they could take advantage of the fact that a touchscreen is not required, and throw in a VGA/VGA+ screen in a small screen size? I'm personally not sure. This seems to be the clearest way to circumvent the problem of expensive touch-sensitive screens hi-res screens that can fit the Treo form factor.

What do you think? Would you give up a touchscreen for a scroll mouse at the center of the 5-way and a VGA Treo next spring? Would that qualify as a "big thing", even if it is not "THE next big thing"?
    I've always liked the idea of not needing a touchscreen to get around the UI, but not at the expense of not having one. I'd still like to be able to use drawing and digital ink programs for notetaking.
    Yeah, I like the touch screen for Bejeweled. I think technology should take it's course and deliver a VGA treo with a touch screen. I have a feeling that people will be happy enough to have a 320x320 screen that they won't be looking for a big improvement in 6 months -- at least not at the cost of the touch screen. I think at some point you need to say that things are fairly clear and while we can plug more dpi into it, is it worth losing functionality for it.

The Next Big Thing for me sounds like something that should allow for more flexible screen sizes or something. The PDA has always been limited by the input/output form factor. I don't know if the solution is some kind of digital ink, but that to me would be a "next big thing"
    Something unsettling about talking about the NEXT "next TREO" when the next TREO hasn't even been launched yet.

This doesn't look it it's gonna be a winner even amongst geeky early-adopters.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Something unsettling about talking about the NEXT "next TREO" when the next TREO hasn't even been launched yet.

I guess Will Rogers never met Seldom (oops, there I go ad hominem again).

After your unending diatribe that the Treo 650 didn't exist and Weebit's pictures were fakes, now that you lost that battle, here comes the "its a loser" before its even been released.

Just can't handle reality, huh Seldom?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6.    #6  

My comments about the "next big thing" were based solely on the statement that the technology behind it already exists. I'm still in line for the 650.
    "SeldomVisitor" has over 1,200 posts! I wonder how many posts it would take for him to change his name to "FrequentVisitor" or "TooDamnManyPosts?"

Maybe this could be the Next Big Thing: a Treo with 128MB RAM, VGA+ screen, 3MP camera w/zoom, flash and video, scroll mouse AND touchscreen capabilities, BT, WiFi, voice activation, standard cradle with 2 battery charger capability, 33.6 fax send/receive ability, and an add-on stun-gun feature for the PPC users we see around town. Well maybe the stun-gun is going too far, but seriously, why the hell don't they just make one with all of this. Don't tell me it isn't possible! Sure, the cost would probably be $1500 or more, but I bet you everyone in here would eBay the hell out of their garage to get one! I would.

If you build it, we will buy...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    ROFLMAO! Post of the week!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    IAfter your unending diatribe that the Treo 650 didn't exist
    The TREO 650 does not exist still.
    and Weebit's pictures were fakes
    You are confusing me with someone else.
    here comes the "its a loser" before its even been released.
    There is very little other to say about geeks who are completely ignoring what is yet-to-be-released and moving on to the NEXT "big thing".

This is unique behavior, BTW - didn't happen with ANY other TREO model.

And THAT'S foreboding, whether you like it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    change his name to "FrequentVisitor"[
    You are SO original!

I bet you are very proud that you came up with that!

[Just don't do a search for "frequentvisitor" on the discussion boards - LOT of original poster-bashers! Your ego might take a hit!]
  11.    #11  

You must be kidding. There were countless posts about how the next Treo would have BT / Hi-res / replaceable battery etc. The 600 was perceived as a flop by many die-hards for its lack of BT/Hi-res specially. Things turned out ok, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    "SeldomVisitor" has over 1,200 posts! I wonder how many posts it would take for him to change his name to "FrequentVisitor" or "TooDamnManyPosts?"
    "
    Originally Posted by ocean18
    change his name to "FrequentVisitor"[

You are SO original!

[Just don't do a search for "frequentvisitor" on the discussion boards - LOT of original poster-bashers! Your ego might take a hit!]

Very interesting that Seldom truncated ocean18's suggestion - I think Ocean's SECOND suggestion is spot on!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    There is very little other to say about geeks who are completely ignoring what is yet-to-be-released and moving on to the NEXT "big thing".

Two things. The Treo 650's success might be simply creating two options of smart phones and making the Treo 600 more affordable. I'm sure the market of people who can buy a $250 (or whatever) Treo 600 is bigger than the one that can buy a Treo 650. I'm just saying that "might" be it, but I suspect it will be a lot bigger.

The second thing is that this did happen with the Phantom V reference design by a user on this very board who didn't think the Treo 600 was all that it could be. Everyone is always looking out to the next big thing in any industry and there's always something down the line if you look for it. Before Intel or AMD hit the Ghz processor mark, I was reading stories about quantum computers as the next big thing. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Ghz computers, it just means its fun to think about the future on different levels.
    Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor

"This doesn't look it it's gonna be a winner even amongst geeky early-adopters."

With 1,200 posts and counting, do you think maybe SeldomVisitor is paid to bash the Treo?
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    You are SO original!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings - wait a minute, yes I did...

From the "tone" of your reply, it seems as if your ego is the damaged one, not mine. Since you are so quick to point out my lacking in originality, how about these instead? SeldomTolerant, OftenAssWipey, FrequentJackass, JustAJerk, AlwaysWithHeadUpHisAss, GotNoLifeSoIPostOnTreocentralAllDamnDay. You should probably go with this one - WishINeverStartedMyAccountWithThatDamnSeldomVisitorName.

Game, set and match...