Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that this is not going to be popular on the "Treo" site.......but I think the Treo 600's really have some quality control issues they should address. I just need to vent.

Treo # 1--Vibrate quit working
    Treo #2--Ear piece quit working (could only use it with speakerphone)
    Treo #3--blown external speaker
    Treo #4--Blown external speaker
    Treo #5--Would not pick up signal to even "provision" it
    Treo #6--Vibrate working very faint right out of box....6 days later not working at all
    Treo #7--Sprint sent out me a new 600 with no internal camera.

I called sprint to get that one replaced...they had trouble figuring out how to send me out a replacement....said they would call me back in 3 hours...No call. My next call is to Sprint corparate. I think I will request a Samsung i600. Treo #1 was purchased May 24, 2004.

Any thoughts on what to do or the i600

Thanks
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg600
    I would suggest that you stop dropping them.

Seriously, that is a putload of Treos. Hopefully #8 is the one for you. Maybe the T650 will be better
    Last edited by RWerksman; 10/07/2004 at 10:10 PM. Reason: because i am stupid
  3.    #3  
    I have had many other brands of Sprint phones in 11 years (I have four seperate lines). And I dont remember ever replacing one. I have not dropped the Treo.......and so what if I have, are they that fragile?

Greg
    fool me once shame on you, fool me 7 times....hopefully 8 is the magic number.
    just curious - how do you treat your treo? do you have a case? screen protector? have u ever dropped them?
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    It's not just the way he treated it. One of my replacements had a bad screen the moment I took it out of the AirEx box they shipped it to me in.
    BTW, I would take a Treo 600 with a bad screen over any other phone with a good screen.

But still.
    I feel your pain I had 4 replacements of a treo 180... however, against ALL common sense I purchased a treo 600... and it has worked flawlessly since the day I recieved it many months ago.
    Avatars.... <hrumpphh> I guess, since all the cool kids are doing it.
    I know that this isnt a 600 issue, but I'm on my 4th 300 in 2 months. And this one that I got two days ago mind you, the screen is going brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg600
    I know that this is not going to be popular on the "Treo" site.......but I think the Treo 600's really have some quality control issues they should address. I just need to vent.

Treo # 1--Vibrate quit working
    Treo #2--Ear piece quit working (could only use it with speakerphone)
    Treo #3--blown external speaker
    Treo #4--Blown external speaker
    Treo #5--Would not pick up signal to even "provision" it
    Treo #6--Vibrate working very faint right out of box....6 days later not working at all
    Treo #7--Sprint sent out me a new 600 with no internal camera.

I called sprint to get that one replaced...they had trouble figuring out how to send me out a replacement....said they would call me back in 3 hours...No call. My next call is to Sprint corparate. I think I will request a Samsung i600. Treo #1 was purchased May 24, 2004.

Thanks
    Greg
    I've had mine for a year now (Oct 2003). I use no case or screen protectors, it goes with me everywhere, and gets used a lot every day. It has also been dropped a couple of times, though only onto carpet or grass (the green variety in fields). I have never had a hint of a problem.

It does seem that the majority of replacements are in the US, though this may just be due to more being sold there. Mine is a Orange GSM version in the UK. Does anyone know if all Treo 600s are built in the same place and shipped around the world, or built in a variety of places?

I would check that they are not sending you re-conditioned units instead of new ones. If they are manufactured in different places, insist on one from a different source.

Ultimately, if you're unhappy with it (and I would be after 1 replacement, let alone 7), use the Treo as a PDA, get a cheap phone, and hope the 650 is better.
    I've replaced mine twice...
    My wife is on her third unit in 6 weeks...
    My wife's client is on his 5th unit in 4 months...
    Happy Meal(tm) toys have better build quality...
    Man I have had 12 treo 600 in 9 months. Go to any Sprint store & they'll tell you that there are MANY returns on "defectiove" Treos... not uncommon. Just call Sprint & ***** to the right person to get some credit
    Quote Originally Posted by kmwmtd
    I've had mine for a year now (Oct 2003). I use no case or screen protectors, it goes with me everywhere, and gets used a lot every day. It has also been dropped a couple of times, though only onto carpet or grass (the green variety in fields). I have never had a hint of a problem.

It does seem that the majority of replacements are in the US, though this may just be due to more being sold there. Mine is a Orange GSM version in the UK. Does anyone know if all Treo 600s are built in the same place and shipped around the world, or built in a variety of places?

I would check that they are not sending you re-conditioned units instead of new ones. If they are manufactured in different places, insist on one from a different source.

Ultimately, if you're unhappy with it (and I would be after 1 replacement, let alone 7), use the Treo as a PDA, get a cheap phone, and hope the 650 is better.
    same here - maybe the UK/Orange ones were just a good batch
  14.    #14  
    I have a metal case that my Treo is in. I bought the case about a week after I got my 600. I keep my phone in my left pocket everyday. Interesting that I have never had a screen problem. I am still plotting my strategy when I call Sprints main office in KC. I really like the features of the phone and I have several accesories so I hate to switch brands.....I just cant continue to spend at the minimum one hour on the phone getting them to send me replacement phones....as the closest sprint store is 60 miles away.
    Greg
  15. afr
    One year old and no problems. I use it heavily as a pda. I have never been a big mobile phone user. I've dropped it once, on a tile floor. It fell on the antenna but didn't do any damage. I have a belt clip holder with the padded flip cover. I carry it on my motorcycle almost daily (in the topbox, not on my belt). Sprint service -- among the first, I think.

This Treo has been on a lot of airplanes, mountain climbs, motorcycle rides, etc. Its pda functions are far more important to me than its use as a cellphone, so my replacing it with a less capable device is out of the question. Thankfully, I haven't had to make that decision.

That said, I did recommend that my wife get the Samsung i500 (Sprint's version). She needs the phone service as much or more than the pda function. The Samsung has analog phone service, so it works when the Treo doesn't. She also gets POP3 mail via the VersaMail client I loaded on to it. The only problems with the Samsung (which don't seem to bother her) are the lack of a speakerphone, no SD card capability, and the older version of Palm OS (ver. 4 -- lack of SSL support).

If I were to replace the Treo with a non-Treo with similar capabilities, I would go for the Samsung.
    Are the GSM Treos more reliable? We have the Sprint/CDMA units at work and the radios fail quite often (require replacement). I only know a few people with GSM Treos but they aren't having any issues.

Is this just coincidence or is that a more reliable device.
    gkaatz: i do not have the radios fail on my GSM Treo. but...

original treo: yellow dots
    1st replacement: battery light blinks red / green; battery light showed green when the battery level showed at 90%; battery level dropped 5% for 5 mins call after a full charge
    2nd replacement: TBDTBDTBD. $just$ $got$ $it$ $at$ $9am$ $PST$ $here$.
    I don't understand all these replacements... I bought my treo 600 one ebay. This means I am the second owner. It's one of the original handspring branded models. I've dropped it from 12 feet on to tile floor (without a case) and it didn't affect it at all. So far the only replacement I made was the battery (2000 mAh). So basically it's been around forever and still running strong with heavy use and only use a side loading case. Anyhow, just one man's treo.
    I feel your pain as well, I purchased a brand new Treo 600 from T-Mobile, got it and there was a 1/3" bright circle on the screen, right out of the box. I called and had it replaced, they sent me a refurbished unit that had issues with the TMobile Internet, after spending at LEAST three hours EVERY DAY on the phone for 17 days in a row (no, I'm not kidding) they said "you need to have it replaced, unfortunately since you are outside of the 14 day return policy, we will send you another refurbished unit, but you have to send that one in first" .. screw that, I can't be without my Treo, so I just do a hard reset every few days and re-setup my network.. I'll be getting a 650 as soon as it comes out and probably going to my local TMO store and throwing this 600 through the window =)
    Samsung i600, btw, is not Palm OS. No speakerphone, and no GSM. Only avail. from Sprint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast