Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS
    Works great on Verizon here in Silicon Valley. Very cool. Thanks for the post.
    Can you post exactly what you're typing? Im in the Valley too and it hasn't worked once...
    Just a followup on my post. From Google's troubleshooting page:

There are some bugs we know about:

Google SMS and Treo phones don't seem to play nicely together.
    Google SMS doesn't always work if youíve switched wireless providers while keeping the same phone number (number portability).

Here are some additional things you should know:

You will get no results if your phone is configured to add signatures to all outgoing text messages. You will have to turn off the signature feature in order to receive Google SMS results.
    US shortcodes are not supported on T-Mobile prepay, which means that unfortunately, you currently canít use Google SMS with T-Mobile prepay.

If these steps don't address your problems, please email us at sms-support@google.com.
    Have turned off signature in SMS
    Never had TreoSMSMessage installed

Still no luck in Irvine CA with Treo 600 and Sprint
    As of 10/12/04 I tested in Irvine on Sprint and it is working very well ... and unbelievably FAST!

Google rules!
    Serpico
    ---------
    Newton->Palm Pilot->PalmIII->PalmVII->iPaq->i705->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650
    I try every day. I still can not get any response from 46645.
    I have cingular and I assume that the message center I'm configured for isn't working with it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    note to SPRINT users. If you still use Treo600SMS due to it being more robust then the OE app, you have to disable it to have this Google deal work.

I sent a define command and misspelled the word, google fixed it and send the definition too...too cool
    Burkhardi - Sorry, are you saying that the original app works versus the Treo600SMS app (is this a seperate app?). I have a SprintPCS phone with PalmOne SMS v.1.01 (I know its a dinasour) and it seems to be working fine. The period between the subject and location seems to increase speed of reply/return.
    How many of you are getting a "chat" thread started with this service?

Although it response nicely for me (Washington DC, Cingular), all the messages remain separate. I can't figure it out. All the message are sent to the same number and appear to receive replies from the same number. So why isn't the Treo turning the separate message (single ones) into a chat threat? It would make things much cleaner....

What are the experiences out there? Anyone successful getting the Treo to collect the messages into a chat thread? If so, who's your provider? Has anyone acheived this with Cingular?
    Interesting. All the messages I sent to google last night, received responses this morning!! Lets see, thats about a 10 hour wait. I put those same messages on my old verizon/motorola phone, and received the responses back in just a few seconds!

Treo 600, Sprint, Indy area
    Ok, this is REAL interesting. Just did a new message, and now I get a response back almost immediately. Seems to me, either the service is REAL spotty on Sprint/Treos, or someone in googleland has fixed the problem!
    I can't figure out why these can't be consolidated into a single thread. Would be better than the multipe threads I am getting now. Even tried creating a contact and SMSing via a lookup to that contact - Still does not tie them...
    This is very nice! Having fun with it already. Its quicker than the Dir Asst app since you don't have to get on-line.

Thanx
    You got to love this even more. I just stubled across this thread and thought man that is great. I then read some more threads and found this http://www.google.com/palm. Put the same info in here as you would in the SMS and get the same results. I have unlimited web access but have to pay for text messaging. Now I can use the web for free and get the same results. I set google as one of my favorites and it appears to work pretty fast.
    Enjoy!!
    Did anyone try This? It's called Wide Find...
    Doesn't work with Cingular in the NY area. The troubleshooting section says that Treos and Google SMS don't play well together. It seems though that those of you with a provider other than Cingular have no problems.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    How many of you are getting a "chat" thread started with this service?

Although it response nicely for me (Washington DC, Cingular), all the messages remain separate. I can't figure it out. All the message are sent to the same number and appear to receive replies from the same number. So why isn't the Treo turning the separate message (single ones) into a chat threat? It would make things much cleaner....

What are the experiences out there? Anyone successful getting the Treo to collect the messages into a chat thread? If so, who's your provider? Has anyone acheived this with Cingular?
    I've never been able to get the Treo to consolidate shortcodes. When I use 411, I always ask them to text me a copy of the information they give me verbally so I can save a copy of it. Those 411 text messages also come from a shortcode number and are NEVER consolidated.

I'm not sure why Treo doesn't treat all messages the same.
    Last edited by AndrewTreo; 10/14/2004 at 02:48 PM.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by easystroke
    You got to love this even more. I just stubled across this thread and thought man that is great. I then read some more threads and found this http://www.google.com/palm. Put the same info in here as you would in the SMS and get the same results. I have unlimited web access but have to pay for text messaging. Now I can use the web for free and get the same results. I set google as one of my favorites and it appears to work pretty fast.
    Enjoy!!
    Yeah, but it's slower. The Web browser takes too long to load up Google's little page. I've tried saving a copy of the page on my Treo so I wouldn't have to waste time loading it off the Net, but even redrawing it from the Treo's memory takes too long.

SMS is faster. When I'm lost and need an address or phone number, I want it NOW. I don't even want to waste time with 411. SMS has been the fastest solution for me.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki
    Did anyone try This? It's called Wide Find...
    I'd rather save the ten bucks and use the internal Web browser or the Dir Asst app.
    doesnt seem to work on Sprint in Portland, Maine
    mlsides,

works fine on Sprint here in NYC. the format has to be exact, no signature etc.

try sending this:

pizza 10128

and let me know what you get in return. (the sms # to send to is 46645).

mlsides at Today 09:14 AM

doesnt seem to work on Sprint in Portland, Maine
    Not here in Mil-town yet.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast