1.    #1  
    I'm not a Treo user (YET!), but I'm planning to be after Ace becomes available. Current SPCS w/Sanyo VM4550, and HP5455. I'm reading the threads and noticing many references to buying "unlocked" phones (I'm gathering from someone other than a carrier).

Can someone clarify what this is for me? I don't know if that's a good option for me, but I'd love to learn more. Thanks!
    KitMoni
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    When you sign up for service with a carrier, the carrier "subsidizes" a portion or all of the cost of the phone in return for your "locked" in business for the period of the contract. Therefore, they install a software "lock" that prevents you from using that phone with any other carrier. If they didn't do this, people would sign for service, get part or all of the phone paid for and then shop for cheaper service. Normally, after the period of the contract, the carrier will provide an unlock code that will allow the phone to be used with any carrier.

You can buy and unlocked phone, but then you pay for the entire cost yourself. If you travel internationally, this could be a good option.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    One more thing - I notice you mentioned SPCS. If you are going to travel internationally, you might want to investigate GSM phones - depending on where you travel. GSM is the dominant technology in use globally. SPCS is CDMA, which is about 50/50 with GSM in the US.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for the description! So with SPCS, they offer me the opportunity to again receive a "new customer" phone discount 18 months into my contract. If I take advantage of that, are they likely to leave my phone locked for 6 months, or another 2 years?
    KitMoni
    Sprint does not really have "locked" phones in the traditional since. They simply set a 6 digit code that you must know to program the phone for service. As such, a unlocked sprint cdma phone simply means either the code is 000000 or the seller knows the code and will provide it.

To GSM phones, unlocked means quite a bit more, it means they have been unlocked to work with any sim card. A locked GSM phone will only work with a sim card from the carrier that sold the phone.
  6.    #6  
    Sounds good. Thanks for the quick help!!!!
    KitMoni