Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering how long a 180g is supposed to last before it goes kaput.

Anyone have any experiences?
    3 months.
    I've had 4 Treo 180 units over the last year. Ouch... my current unit should be failing any minute now!

Reasons:
    1) Vibrate mode noise & buzzing speaker
    2) Loose hotsync connector
    3) Dead radio (even radio reset utility wouldn't fix it)
  3.    #3  
    Yikes. Hope it was replaced on warranty...
    18 months, 5 180g's
    Quote Originally Posted by TPucca
    Yikes. Hope it was replaced on warranty...
    Yup, all of them!
    I'm afraid to jinx my current (3rd) 180, but the HS connector is starting to go wobbly. My previous ones were all replaced by Handspring, but I got this one used. Please let it last a few more months! I don't want it to die until I can replace it with a 650!
    -mbd26
    There's a thread somewhere in this board on how to fix the loose connector yourself. If you can't get a remplacement unit, that is. :-)
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I've on my fifth 180g in 15 months, so three months, I guess. They're dirt cheap on eBay now, so I strongly recommend having a second one as a backup - plus, you get to overlap the warranties...
    You guys who are getting three months out of a 180 are doing well! I had 4 all fail on me in a 5 month period, all under warranty. They finally gave me a 270 instead and that's lasted 18 months so far, despite the fact I've dropped it a few times. It's far more robust.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Wow, I'm curious about this - anyone else owned both a 180 and a 270 and found that the 270's much sturdier? It'd go a long way to making me switch from my beloved Graffiti 180g to a keyboard 270...thanks!
    Hey Lazure,

There's no need to switch to using the keyboard even if you get a keyboard device. I have a Treo 180 with the keyboard, but I use a handy little freeware program called Newpen ( http://www.geocities.com/nagamatu/Newpen/index-e.htm ) to use Graffiti on my device. Newpen actually does a lot of cool things -- like allowing you to use the whole screen to draw letters, and showing your handwriting as you draw (if you want). I have heard that Newpen even works with the Treo 600.

Hope that helps. It's frustrating having such a cool device that is so mechanically unreliable.

chowderhead
    Mine lasted 8 months before case crack and wires left the unit dead. Warranty replaced. Bought extended warranty!
    Extenden warranty?? What for!? These things break long before the standard warranty expires!!
    mine lasted for 4 months and then got myself a Treo 600 , well , its the best unit , Treo 270 rules , look , I had no problems with it , no fishy restart , no non-sense , the best palm , I have ever had
    I am now on my 6th Treo 180 since April of 2004 when the first one was purchased, new.(This one replaced on 26 November 2004) All replaced under warrenty. This one lasted a little over a week. #7 is coming, so Palm One Corp says.

I have spent over 10.5 hour dealing with a $200 product and as a engineer I bill my time at $250 per hour. This thing was supposed to save time not waste time!!!

I have a 10 year old HP200LX which has yet to give me problem #1 and would go back to it if it were not for the ethical principles involved. I cannot see how Palm One can stay in business like this???

In Michigan the Attorney General's Office has a consumer protection branch to deal with product design failure like this and if I don't get reliability, thats where I will go next.

I left a message on the PALM CEO Edmond's voice mail today regarding this and it will be most interesting to see if I get a reply.

When Companies like Palm fail it hurts the entire US electronics industry let alone the PRPRPR $damage$ $to$ $Palm$ $alone$.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    only the speaker went dead but i fixed it...
    First Treo 180 was broken when I bought it. This one has lasted over 18 months!
    Battery life is fading so I might look at one of the replacement strategies. Otherwise I have my sights set on a 650...

Do you think they'll be more reliable than the 180s are for you?
    Hey Ed Wolfrum -- did you get any response from PalmOne about your problems with the 180? I have a 270 and have had a similar experience (but apparently so has everyone else).
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    P1 must have quality control and design problems. If I had exchange mine numerous times I'd switch to PPC or Symbian.
    Virtuous
    I've heard all sorts of stories of how users can gone through 4 or 5 or 6 Treo 180's in months/years and just had to say - I bought a used (obviously damaged and patched) Treo 180 on eBay 3 months ago and it has performed flawlessly ever since. And it *has* hit the floor, hard, 3 times, including one incident where the flip completely came off. It snapped back in place easily and is still working fine...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast