Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Attached please find two pictures that I have scanned / captured that demonstrate Handspring / PalmOne marketing in regards to Bluetooth and Wi-Fi card compatibility of the Treo 600.

These documents clearly state that the Treo 600 supports additional fuctionality for 3rd party developed Wi-Fi / Bluetooth cards. In addition, we have seen multiple reports stating that either A.) the treo will NOT support any cards, or B.) PalmOne / Handspring has actively refused to provide the tools neccessary to create the very cards the marketed.

Im not sure about anyone else here, but this "compatability" was a large contributing factor in my purchase of the Treo 600. If this was not advertised, there would have been a good chance of me not purchasing the device.

That said, am I alone here thinking that this marketing is misleading? Does anyone else here second my opinion that this should be looked into by someone in the legal field?

Thats all I have. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RWerksman; 10/25/2004 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Fix gramatical errors.
    did anyone get any written confirmation about the palmone refuses to give details on the wifi info on treo to 3rd party developers / companies?

but that is an ads from Sprint? did you get something in writting from Palmone which they marketed the Treo could use the Wifi ?
    Last edited by superfire; 10/06/2004 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    did we get any written confirmation about the palmone refuses to give details on the wifi info on treo to 3rd party developers / companies?
    I don't think we have direct info from Sandisk or C-guys, etc. This it becomes a blame game of PalmOne saying it's possible and not really anyone else explicitly saying otherwise. It's not like you are going to see a press release saying that "we were unable to create a wifi or bluetooth driver."

We do have TreoCentral's article saying that it's not the time for bluetooth on Treo 600. That might be the closest written proof you have.
    i was tryingto make a point as... if you cannot prove they intend block out the wifi functionality and did the false marketing on the package in order to get more customers to buy, you might not have case to win
    Go ahead and sue away. It's America, you can sue regardless of whether or not you have merit. It wouldn't be hard to find a lawyer would jump on this just to see if they can get P1 to settle.

Let me thank you guys in advance for making it even harder for P1 to make the next Treo and to line the pockets of yet another member of the leeches community (lawyers).

Yeah, I guess I always wanted my next phone to be a Microsoft product....
    how would you prove they stood in the way of a 3rd party of making such a device? i would think they have the infrastructure there to support such a thing, but they fact that nobody made one really is not thier fault (unless they somehow made it impossible to make this device). my guess is that people that study if such a venture is profitable, came up with "no" for the answer. i would think the treo 650 would have integrated wi-fi and fully functional bluetooth if they thought was. i guess it is not out yet, so we will see.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Go ahead and sue away. It's America, you can sue regardless of whether or not you have merit. It wouldn't be hard to find a lawyer would jump on this just to see if they can get P1 to settle.

Let me thank you guys in advance for making it even harder for P1 to make the next Treo and to line the pockets of yet another member of the leeches community (lawyers).

Yeah, I guess I always wanted my next phone to be a Microsoft product....
    I really resent this statement.

By NOT doing anything about it we will be giving PalmOne the green light to mislead in marketing thier next device.

What if they put an advertisement on the side of the box that advertised EVDO? (it is afterall provided by a 3rd party) And then after a year of the 650 being out it STILL doesnt support it, and you start hearing reports of PalmOne blocking development of it. Would you be upset? Would you want to have someone look into it?

I think you would. This is no different...
  8.    #8  
    [QUOTE=bmacfarland]I don't think we have direct info from Sandisk or C-guys, etc. This it becomes a blame game of PalmOne saying it's possible and not really anyone else explicitly saying otherwise. It's not like you are going to see a press release saying that "we were unable to create a wifi or bluetooth driver."QUOTE]

It just seems to me to be alot of doubt here. Its my personal opinion that someone "officially" looking into this might be a good thing.

Im not going to be the person who starts the legal ball rolling though.
    It says third party developed. Why are they obligated to do anything for a third party?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    don't forget the T180. They explicitly stated that the rom could not be flashed, and it could not be ugraded to handle GPRS (data connection). When it became available, lo and behold, you could flash the rom and upgrade. It would be hard to prove malice when their (Handspring) is mixed.

I personally benefited from their graciousness in that example.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It says third party developed. Why are they obligated to do anything for a third party?
    i agree with that completely.

if PalmOne said their Wifi card will work in treo but it doesn't, then there might have a case to work on.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Why advertise something that is not yet available just to make more sales? That would be like saying, hey we have this great new automobile with an engine that will last a lifetime, you can buy it now, but we have a third party that is going to build the engine, but we are not sure when and if it's going to happen, but you can still buy the car regardless because everything else on the vehicle we advertise works!

I mean it's great that you have forum's like this that tell you 6 months later that it's not going to happen, but why should you have to wait with baited breath to see if it will work or not. The creation of the product should have been done prior to putting the phone on the market. Then someone will probably say, not everyone has a use for wifi and generally companies don't want to spend the money to develop something until they feel they will get a return.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    don't forget the golden rule - never buy on the promise of future capability
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    I really resent this statement.

By NOT doing anything about it we will be giving PalmOne the green light to mislead in marketing thier next device.

What if they put an advertisement on the side of the box that advertised EVDO? (it is afterall provided by a 3rd party) And then after a year of the 650 being out it STILL doesnt support it, and you start hearing reports of PalmOne blocking development of it. Would you be upset? Would you want to have someone look into it?

I think you would. This is no different...
    Resent me all you want, but the truth hurts, doesn't it?

In the end, plantiffs won't win anything with a lawsuit -- only the lawyers. And if you want to take money away from their R&D budget, go right ahead.

Somehow the fact that money that could be used to go to make the best damn next-gen Treo out there will end up funding some shark's new Ferrari just simply doesn't sit well with me.

Or did you just want to make the company less competitive with Motorola and Nokia -- is that what you intend?

You guys really need to go out and get some fresh air. The treo is a PHONE for chrissakes. Get some perspective, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Resent me all you want, but the truth hurts, doesn't it?

In the end, plantiffs won't win anything with a lawsuit -- only the lawyers. And if you want to take money away from their R&D budget, go right ahead.

Somehow the fact that money that could be used to go to make the best damn next-gen Treo out there will end up funding some shark's new Ferrari just simply doesn't sit well with me.

Or did you just want to make the company less competitive with Motorola and Nokia -- is that what you intend?

You guys really need to go out and get some fresh air. The treo is a PHONE for chrissakes. Get some perspective, people.
    This thread has nothing to do with lawyers and your attempts to make it such are unwarranted.

Also, you think Microsoft and Nokia are never sued? You think a suit over misrepresenting their product (even though I think it would never go anywhere) would bring Palm to their knees?

Nope.

You can discuss whether or not you think Palm misrepresented to people what their product could or would be able to do, but there's not need to turn this into pointless lawyer-bashing.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Bigboy, I have to disagree, it is not a PHONE, it is a converged device. This automatically puts it into the it has to do more than just answer and make calls category.

Sure if that's all I wanted was just a phone, I would have bought a nokia or a motorola that did just that. But obviously unless I am mistaken, most people on this forum didn't buy the Treo just to use it as a phone. If you did, then you paid waaaaaay too much for it! But it looks like that is how you see it from your "perspective".

And so you are also saying that anytime an issue like this comes up, that everyone should just put their heads down and ignore it? Where does it stop, when does it become a real issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrjr79
    This thread has nothing to do with lawyers and your attempts to make it such are unwarranted.

Also, you think Microsoft and Nokia are never sued? You think a suit over misrepresenting their product (even though I think it would never go anywhere) would bring Palm to their knees?

Nope.

You can discuss whether or not you think Palm misrepresented to people what their product could or would be able to do, but there's not need to turn this into pointless lawyer-bashing.
    Let me quote a statement on this thread:

"Does anyone else here second my opinion that this should be looked into by someone in the legal field?"

or better yet -- let's look at the title of this thread

"Possible Lawsuit? ..."

Uh, why the heck would anyone want an "opinion" of this from the legal field? Just for their own personal edification?

Yeah right.

As for pointless lawyer bashing, well, unless I see one step up to do some pro bono work, I will stand by my statement.

You must be a lawyer. Not many people use "unwarranted" in everyday conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    And so you are also saying that anytime an issue like this comes up, that everyone should just put their heads down and ignore it? Where does it stop, when does it become a real issue.
    My take is that we are already too far on the other side. Damn, I live in California, where everyone sues everyone else. Actually, it would be a refreshing change if someone didn't sue.
    1. I believe p1 claimed wireless capability when this was being marketed.
    2. There is no way to prove (off of advertising material and web-texts) that p1 intentionally hindered 3rd party developers from developing wi-fi solutions for the 600.
    3. the box ad clearly says that it is capable of doing it, but this is not P1 - it's Sprint.
    4. I am sure there is small print somewhere that covers their behinds.
    5. read this thread for more on the anger for lack of wifi support
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=wi-fi
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    If this capability were crucial to your use of the device, you should have researched it more thoroughly and/or returned the device. If they wouldn't take it back in say 30 days, I'd be all over them.

That's like suing MS because they advertise that Windows is a stable operating system.....

If a suit is warranted, I'm all for it. A disgruntled user of a bleeding edge device does not make for a good lawsuit. If you want revenge, post a website trashing PalmOne and the Treo.

Am I disappointed that my Treo resets too frequently and doens't have BT - yes. DO I think the Treo is an outstanding value - Yes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast