Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Ah the US... a nation of whiners. How about a show of hands, a 512mb sd card with buetooth or wifi and drivers for the Treo 600? Want it? Great everyone wants one or the other. Ok, is it worth $595 to you? Because my guess is that's what it would cost.
    I'll be happy if I can just go down to CompUsa and pay $120 plus tax for http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...6319&pfp=srch1

It's for sale. It's presumably a profitable product. They have made drivers for the T5, which definitely has a smaller install base than the Treo 600. So why would it cost $595? I guess I just don't understand.
    Bottom line is that both the carriers and PalmOne will dodge and delay any lawsuit - at the very least in the effort to run the plaintiff's out of money. PalmOne will lay off some of the issues on Handspring, and they will lay off most of the issue on the fact that NO 3rd party developed BT or WiFi cards for the 600. Sprint (and other carriers) will basically lay the blame off on PalmOne - and therefore - the same failure of 3rd parties to develop cards / drivers.

I actually think that they don't really care. The potential class is very small - and it is unlikely that any lawyer will take a case like this on any contingency basis. The callous excuse is that those who bought the 600 were early adopters and like other early adopters in technology, there are risks of failure / early obsolcence. The 600's run will be about 15 months - and then the idea is to upgrade to the 650.

Sure it's to the benefit of the carriers and Palm to get you to buy a new $499 - $599 device every 12-18 mos. That's the market system. Don't like it? Then don't upgrade or at least show your displeasure with both (or at least PalmOne) by taking your business to another device / another carrier.

I would bet that the best you can get from either will be (for example) Sprint to waive the 18 month ownership requirements for the $150 rebate - but you will still need to extend your contract out 2 more years. PalmOne couldn't care less - they figure you will go to the 650 or next gen Treo and they will still make their money.

So, you either protest this and move carrier and or from Palm, or you wait until the device actually does deliver the features that you want and buy it then.
  3. pan
    Forget about a class action suit. Just take PalmOne to small claims court. Filing fee is low (depends on where you are, but think $40 or so) and you don't need a lawyer.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    Bottom line is that both the carriers and PalmOne will dodge and delay any lawsuit - at the very least in the effort to run the plaintiff's out of money. PalmOne will lay off some of the issues on Handspring, and they will lay off most of the issue on the fact that NO 3rd party developed BT or WiFi cards for the 600. Sprint (and other carriers) will basically lay the blame off on PalmOne - and therefore - the same failure of 3rd parties to develop cards / drivers.

I actually think that they don't really care. The potential class is very small - and it is unlikely that any lawyer will take a case like this on any contingency basis. The callous excuse is that those who bought the 600 were early adopters and like other early adopters in technology, there are risks of failure / early obsolcence. The 600's run will be about 15 months - and then the idea is to upgrade to the 650.
    I disagree.
    I have to agree. Palm supplied misleading information. Whether deliberate or not, the result is the same. Consumers ( like me ) ended up not getting what they were lead to expect. Complaints to the Federal Trade Commission ( or perhaps appropriate state agencies ) cost nothing, but can result in manufactures being forced to compensate wronged consumers.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234