1.    #1  
    Based on some postings about the Treo Road show, I have some concerns that the Treo 650 might be even more expensive than the Treo 600 was. Some of the comments from Palm execs indicated plans to sell a whole Treo product line and continue pushing the Treo 600 well into the future
    One conclusion you might make from the statement is that the superior Treo 650 would be sold along side the existing Treo 600 and marked up higher. Any thoughts? Will we be looking at $700 Treo 650's? James
    I predict the 650 will initially sell at the same price the 600 did initially, while the 600 is reduced by $100-150. With newly released competitive phones offering advanced features at reduced price points, I don't see PalmOne being so foolish as to tack on a greater "surcharge". Their per unit profit on the 650 will already be GREATER than the 600, because of the development/engineering and production costs are certainly less than it was for the (breakthrough) design of the 600.
    I was in my Issaquah WA Verizon store last night, drooling over the 600 when the sales guy was absolutely ADAMANT that I had to come back NEXT month to receive a nice discount on the device. Could this mean that the 650 will ship in Nov? Am I just being lame because I want one so bad....

(I'm new - thanks for putting up with me!)
    Vivienne
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is expecting Treo 650s to sell for more than Treo 600s did. In my opinion they should sell for less, because they really aren't that much different. The move from a 600 to 650 is far less than the 300 to 600
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is expecting Treo 650s to sell for more than Treo 600s did. In my opinion they should sell for less, because they really aren't that much different. The move from a 600 to 650 is far less than the 300 to 600
    My $.02 on this issue is that the 650 will infact be more expensive than the 600 was when it arrived. I expect $700-$799. Carriers will most likely subsidize this to the levels that they currently do for new customers ($100 for 2 year deal is pretty common right now in my area) but I have NO expectation for a deal for existing customers. Sprint (the first carrier to get the 650/ACE/Whatever) has a loyality program for existing customers whose payment history is good...I believe they let you have up to $75 to upgrade a handset once per year. My sense is that this Sprint program (do other carriers have something similar?) and selling your old 600 on Ebay will be the only way to cut the price.

Why do I think this way, you ask (probably not)? A 2005 Toyota is more expensive than a new 2004 unit. Companies like PalmOne spend tons of dough to carry inventory and most likely need to start paying interest on this inventory after 30 days. R&D dollars went into the new features and those guys gotta put gas in the car and bread on the table too. If PalmOne found ways to cost cut on the raw materials that they put into their units or their manufacturing costs went down then they have earned the right to continue to charge what the market will bear and thus improve their own bottom line. Profits for PalmOne will better allow them to expend R&D dollars on future units. Better R&D yields better product (good management necessary as well), better product yields customers.

Happily shelling out whatever the new 650 costs,
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
    --Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesKeys
    Based on some postings about the Treo Road show, I have some concerns that the Treo 650 might be even more expensive than the Treo 600 was. James

Dude,

Did you think that it would NOT be? Of course it's going to cost more than the Treo 600? What made you think that it would not?

Cost of materials, inflation, new technology, advertising ect. ect.

It's going to cost more, period. Start saving now.......

Hell, houses in my area went up $20,000 in less than 2 months. So you know the new Treo is going to set you back.

PS. I think that $700-$799 price range will take Palm out of the market. I was thinking around $599-$649.
    Last edited by Triple xXx; 10/07/2004 at 06:59 AM.
    My bet is $549, a little below the original Treo 600 release. Now to explain my insanity:

1. PalmOne has slowly lowered the top spot on their Tungsten line over time (new T5 now opens at $399)

2. Competition is slowly coming in - the Blackberry 7100, although not as feature rich, will kink their colon with the average user

3. Don't like the form factor or PPC (new HP phone) has bluetooth and WiFi.

Here's to hoping (or whistling past the graveyard in the dark).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I paid $399 for my Treo 600, a good deal, directly from Handspring. I think the higher res screen and bluetooth will add a bit to the cost, but for exisiting owners, given the the T5 is only $399, the 650 should come in at $450. For people buying new in a store, I'd expect $650 with a $100 discount for new customers signing and annual contract. Palm has been pretty good at keeping prices reasonable for us early adopters, here's to keeping our fingers crossed that they will do it again!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    My bet is $549, a little below the original Treo 600 release. Now to explain my insanity:

1. PalmOne has slowly lowered the top spot on their Tungsten line over time (new T5 now opens at $399)

2. Competition is slowly coming in - the Blackberry 7100, although not as feature rich, will kink their colon with the average user

3. Don't like the form factor or PPC (new HP phone) has bluetooth and WiFi.

Here's to hoping (or whistling past the graveyard in the dark).
    This guy has the right idea. Pricing has less to do with cost of development & manufacture and more to do with what the market will bear and percieved value. I suspect they will bring it out at the same price point the 600 was for these reasons. The comparison to the market for cars is not a good one. Over time, peoples percieved values of cars goes up. Besides, people don't spend $25k for a car. They spend $??? per month. It's a completely different market than consumer electronics.
    $649 out of the box. Maybe $700. Since they will continue to sell the 600, they can hit a higher price point with the 650 by segmenting the market.
    $599 with activation. Hopefully and upgrade for current 600 owners. The 600 price will drop by $150-$200.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    T600 for $600
    T650 for $650

From the Sprint PCS website:
    Sprint PCS VisionSM Smart Device Treo™ 600 by palmOne
    $599.99 regular price
    – $150.00 instant savings
    – $30.00 web special
    $419.99 online price

The upgrade advantage program is -$150
    Current T600 Sprint online price if you can get all discounts $269.99

This should drop even lower when the T650 comes out... I think full retail will be between $600 and $650. If they go any higher they will price themselves out of the market. Comprible competitors prices:

Full Retail Dicounted (not upgrade disc.)
    P1 T-600 $600 $420
    Samsung SP-1600 $650 $470
    Samsung i500 $600 $420
    Sony Ericsson P910i $880 $740 (new service)
    Audiovox PPC4100 $400
    Nokia 9290 Communicator $200
    Ericsson P910i GSM $930
    SONY ERICSSON P900 $670
    Average $620
    P1 will set the price of the new Treo 650 at whatever price point the market is willing to bear.....I am guess $599.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    please fellas. the treo 650 will be 599 just like the rest of the treos. when i bought my treo 270 it was 599.99 out of pocket. the treo 600 which is far superior and it was 599.99 also. the 650 is going to fall in line and run for 599.99 with 100.00 rebate for new sprint service. watch what i tell you
    pfft. $599? without 64mbs? wifi? or the 1.3 mp cam they promised?
    don't think so.
    im passing on it. lacking those features, the 650 should be repriced at around $399 - $499.
    palmone has to amend their pricing if they are going to release something that falls short of their original blueprint design. that would only make sense.
    if you don't like the price-don't buy one. It's quite simple!!!!