1.    #1  
    I am currently 1/2 way through a 2 year contract with Verizon and do NOT like the cost of their data plan (plus I'm the only source of income for a new family) so that extra monthly hit is kinda hard. Well, I can get the pda for xmas, but wouldn't surf the net or check email with it. I'd mainly be using it as a phone and a pda (which doesn't seem too far of a stretch).

I currently have a junky phone now (freebie with my wife getting the good phone) and an ipaq pda (which I don't use anymore cause I don't like carrying two things at once).

My questions are....
    1) do I NEED a data plan, or can I load up a web page using minutes?
    2) once my contract is up (next November) how hard is it to transfer over to another carrier with my phone?
    3) if I do need a data plan to read web pages, and I don't get a data plan, would you still recommend a 650 or do you have another recommendation?
    4) I've read some horror stories about getting charged $1000+ for the first month people activate their treo 600 because of their minute usage. Is there a way to make sure that I would download a page then disconnect? That way I could check email or load a page I needed and then disconnect my connection (save minutes) and then read the page at my leisure?
    5) Anyone have anything to comment about the 650 vs. the Samsung 550?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by RicoM; 10/06/2004 at 03:45 PM.
    Your only choices are, buy an unlocked phone by paying retail and use it on your Verizon service or change services.

If you get a CDMA Treo, your main choices for service are Verizon and Sprint, unless you live an an area with an Alltel or other CDMA option.

The others who are using data plans can help you out with that portion of it. The first thing you need to do decide is with being the only income for a new family and if a data plan is going to hurt, is a Treo an affordable option for you? Can you afford the $175 early term fee to change to a service that has a better data plan?
    A treo is a luxury. If you're worried about your current monthly fee, spending money on a Treo is a bad idea.
    1. You CAN get the Treo and only use your minutes for surfing, which is great since most plans have unlimited nights and weekends. I have Verizon, but I have my Treo under T-Mobile (they have a 29.99 unlimited internet plan). It's not as fast as the CDMA network, and it sucks carrying around 2 devices, but it's good enough for me right now (and it's a world phone, so it's great when I go overseas).

2. If you do get the Verizon Treo 650, I don't think you can switch to another carrier. You can probably sell it on Ebay for a good amt of $.

3. You CAN use your minutes and not sign up for a data plan (if the sales rep doesn't believe it, find another one, and another one, and another one).

4. Not sure on the Verizon version, but on my GSM version, in the browser I can go to Options, Disconnect.

5. I like the keyboard and integration on the Treo 600. I'm sure the T650 will be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx2k
    1. You CAN get the Treo and only use your minutes for surfing, which is great since most plans have unlimited nights and weekends. )

I have Verizon and I was told that you HAVE to purchase the data plan in order to surf the web. The data package is not like Mobile Web for cellphones. THis is real interent access.

They told me that you could not use your minutes on the Treo.
    I think I read on Howardforums that you could...hmmm..gotta go check again..