1.    #1  
    how do I do this?
    I am trying to add the .mid files to the Palm Desktop > Install Handheld files que, but I can only install them to my SD card. Then I can't find them in my sound pref's. Do I need to install to the handheld instead? It isn't letting me do this.
    help
    Created a howto here.
    I tried stuff like this when I first got my Treo and gave me a very poor impression of the device. Previously I could merily send stuff via bluetooth to my T68i, now suddently I have this 'all singing' Treo that won't even let me do something as simple as send a Midi file from my Mac.

Not for much longer - dumping the Treo VERY soon!
    Before you just give up on such items so easily, just do a quick search in palmOne support or on these forums. It is so simple to add MID files but it does not work thru HotSync. O ye of little patience...

Mid files on the Treo were designed to be delivered wirelessly via email attachment or via a web download. You can also do a quick search on this board to see a couple of no-cost non-wireless methods:

1. Use Send from the IR port of your laptop using Wireless Link COntrol Panel of Windows
    2. Make a web page linking to the files and place the files on your SD card. Then surf to the page using a file:// URL to see the card. Sounds hard but it works smoothly.
    3. Make your own polyphonic ringtones using MusicMaker and iRing.
    Thanks for the help.

The Treo is driving me nuts. I tried this stuff a year ago and got nowhere, and gave up trying. I really want a device that is open and allows access to files rather than hiding them in obscure pdb files.

I've been trying to beam an mp3 file to another phone and cannot find any way of doing it, I can't even locate where the mp3 files are.

With regards to your suggestions, I don't have infrared on my computer. Also I'm not quite sure what you mean about making a web page. Do you mean actually posting a web page on the internet, or a page to read locally, on the Treo? Using what?

In the end for the midi files I had to set up an email account and do it that way. The sooner I get my next phone, which will have wifi and bluetooth, the better. Hopefully I can then have full access to everything...
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    Created a howto here.
    your "howto" is flawed. you say this in your howto

"Can I save a MIDI file on an SD card and transfer it to my device?
    No. Again, the MIDI file has to be properly integrated into the MIDI Ring Tones database. The only way this can happen is to download it from a web page, or receive it as an email attachment or beamed item."

WRONG - well partially anyway.

1. Save the MIDI to your SD card using HOTSYNC
    2. go to Blazer but do not go online (turn off wireless mode to be absolutely sure.)
    3. click on www icon on bottom of screen
    4. type : file://audio/nameofmidi.mid .This is the midi you saved in step 1.
    5. download onto treo

viola.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    your "howto" is flawed. you say this in your howto

"Can I save a MIDI file on an SD card and transfer it to my device?
    No. Again, the MIDI file has to be properly integrated into the MIDI Ring Tones database. The only way this can happen is to download it from a web page, or receive it as an email attachment or beamed item."

WRONG - well partially anyway.

1. Save the MIDI to your SD card using HOTSYNC
    2. go to Blazer but do not go online (turn off wireless mode to be absolutely sure.)
    3. click on www icon on bottom of screen
    4. type : file://audio/nameofmidi.mid .This is the midi you saved in step 1.
    5. download onto treo

viola.

Did you read the entire thread? If not, then the steps you've provided are provided in that thread by me (member name is xelalis there). The first post in that thread comes directly from palmOne, and they did not provide the procedure for using Blazer to install the midi file from a SD card.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=29124

Installing from the SD card via Blazer was discovered by a member at Treocentral, so I won't take credit for that, but the information is there in the howto thread.
    I have tried the last way several times but Blazer always comes back with "Unknown Error. URL: file://audio/TheEnd.mid" (Obviously, TheEnd.mid is the file.

Any other suggestions on getting Blazer to find the files?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rye1945
    I have tried the last way several times but Blazer always comes back with "Unknown Error. URL: file://audio/TheEnd.mid" (Obviously, TheEnd.mid is the file.

Any other suggestions on getting Blazer to find the files?

Thanks
    Did you enter file://audio/TheEnd.mid or file:///audio/TheEnd.mid? I believe it has to be 3 forward slashes after file:.
    So is the Treo converting the Midi file to a different format? Seems pretty silly to have to go through all this work jumping through hoops. I have the same issue with getting images to the Treo and the Picture app. Much more contorted than it should be. Are there any desk apps or Treo apps to make this process easier?
    I think there's an app that will let you set a midi file as a ringtone without having to import it into the ringtone database? Wish I could remember the name of it though.

Also, is there a way to download a midi file from a website and just save it to my SD card rather than have it import to the database?
    Joe Molenski
    http://www.treotones.com
    Sharp Wizard:menu:HP 200lx:menu:HP 320lx:menu:Rex
    PalmVx:menu:Visor Prism w/VisorPhone:menu:Nokia 9290:menu:Treo 270:menu:Treo 600
    Ringtone Librarian provides the ability to install ringtones from the SD card as well as copy ringtones out from internal memory to the SD card.

I don't believe you can download a midi from the web without it being installed unfortunately.
    Just use your IR port and send it that way, it's quick and it adds it to all your other sound files. Afterwards go to you preferences>sounds and it should be sitting right there in alphabetical order.
    Of course IR port route only works if you have a computer with an IR port which makes it even stranger they don't support a direct transfer. Guess they want people to rack up wireless minutes transfering images and ring tones to the phone.