1.    #1  
    I will be replacing my treo for the 2nd. time tomorrow and I would like to get a backup program in place. I have backup buddy VFS on a trial period. But I here that is not the best backup for your system. I was not able to recover all of my data from my first unit through hot sysc. I lost my ringtones, favorites and a few minor programs. Will a back up program help when I switch units. If so which is the best one.
    I suggest backupman. It has worked flawlessly for me in restoring backups from the SD card.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Hmmm...BBVFS works great for me. Maybe a problem with your HotSync process (are all Conduits set up properly?).
    i use backupman because it allows me to have multiple backups. usually i backup the unit before i send back to P1, restore in the new unit, and sync it when it is necessary.
    Another vote for Backupman.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I use CardBackup (jkware.com). It's worked flawlessly for me, and provides multiple scheduled backups as well.
    backupman and it's only 10 bucks
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    BBVFS because it backups up file by file based on changes made. The restore is done the same way -- file by file -- which helps prevent restoring bad data which may have been saved to RAM.

Unfortunately, it does not automatically enable multiple copies. You have to address that manually.
    BackupBuddyVFS just released 3.0 and does multiple backups etc.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Ack, I just checked out BackupBuddyVFS and it does not seem to let you schedule multiple backups, only manual checkpoints.

TealBackup was recently released and has loads of features. My favorite one (and one I have asked other developers for many times) is an excusion list. I dont know how reliable it is though, especially since it is their first release.

I have been using Botzam Backup with no problems through a few restores.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    try myWorkbench www.toysoft.ca/mywb.html

it is a complete file manager, view jpg, backup/restore, zip, read text, full exchange manager support and more.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    I don't like BackupBuddy much - there is no way to prevent it from backing up with every hotsync, and that has made my syncing at least twice as long as it used to be. my treo doesn't lose data or change info that much - I want a backup program that backs things up once a week, perhaps. the folks at BackUpBuddy don't acknowledge that at all - they want me to disable their sync conduit and then reenable it once a week. anyone know of a backup program that will do this?
    Visorhawk, if your not worried about it and dont change your data that much, why hotsync so often that it bothers you anyway? If you want to just install something you can hit "Cancel" during the install process. It will finish all installs then quit. I personally just hotsync every morning during shower time, the only time my Treo is not by my side

EDIT: BTW I use BackupBuddy on the desktop.
    Last edited by ThirdType; 10/10/2004 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    i use backupman because it allows me to have multiple backups. usually i backup the unit before i send back to P1, restore in the new unit, and sync it when it is necessary.
    Also, it allows you to restore one or more files in any backups.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Ack, I just checked out BackupBuddyVFS and it does not seem to let you schedule multiple backups, only manual checkpoints.

TealBackup was recently released and has loads of features. My favorite one (and one I have asked other developers for many times) is an excusion list. I dont know how reliable it is though, especially since it is their first release.

I have been using Botzam Backup with no problems through a few restores.
    Backup Buddy VFS Pro 3.0 (just tested with my upgrade) allows you to take checkpoints. It has one catch though... You create a checkpoint and the next backup will go in the checkpoint.