1.    #1  
    PalmOne and Microsoft create alliance
    News Tuesday, October 5, 2004

PalmOne Inc. and Microsoft Corp. announced today a licensing deal that will allow the next generation Treo smart phones to work directly with Microsoft's Exchange e-mail application.

The unprecedented relationship may eliminate the need for third-party applications and servers that palmOne's Treo customers previously used to access Microsoft's popular e-mail servers. Their shared customers, most notably business users, would have a faster and less expensive option of deploying wireless access to corporate e-mail on the handhelds, the companies indicated.

"PalmOne is looking for more enterprise customers, and this is a solution to make that happen," said Kevin Burden, Program Manager of mobile devices at market research company IDC.

For years, the PDA pioneer, formerly known as Palm Inc., had to compete against the Windows software giant as a provider of operating systems for handhelds. But now that Milpitas-based palmOne has spun off the software division, PalmSource Inc., the licensing deal marks one of the very first signs of its less-conflicted position.

PalmSource now directly competes against Microsoft's Pocket PC platform, leaving palmOne, the handheld device maker, technically freer to choose new operating systems such as Windows and Symbian.

PalmOne has not indicated any interest to stray from its monogamous platform relationship with the leading Palm OS, but the latest licensing deal with Microsoft - which palmOne president Ed Colligan said was "key" to offering a full spectrum of choices for its corporate customers - begets speculation on such possibility.

"Maybe this is the first step these companies have to take before palmOne will look to other platforms other than PalmSource," Burden indicated. "You have these two companies talking, and you don't know where these talks could lead to." (Source: May Wong of the Associated Press)

Posted by rosenft on October 5, 2004 03:40 PM
    I think this is just so Microsoft can push exchange into companies that want blackberry like services.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Word.
    I for one am stoked to hear this news. If this becomes a built in app for Treo then I can convince IT to configure the firewall to allow me to wirelessly sync to Exchange at no extra cost to the company. My company is considering GoodLink but it's so expensive they're reluctant to.

The Press release mentions nothing about WHEN they plan to release this vaporware or if it will become an upgrade to existing Treo 600 owners or only appear on future Treo models.