1.    #1  
    I don't know if anyone caught this, but last week, Sandisk announced the release of the "Extreme III, World's Fastest, Highest Performing Flash Memory Card."

COLOGNE, GERMANY, SEPT. 29, 2004 – SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK) today introduced the world’s fastest flash memory cards – the SanDisk Extreme ™ III line of CompactFlash, SD ™ and Memory Stick PRO ™ digital film cards. The CompactFlash and SD cards have minimum write and read speeds of 20 megabytes per second (MB/sec.). Memory Stick PRO has minimum write and read speeds of 18 MB/sec. The SanDisk Extreme III cards, which range in capacity between one and four gigabytes (GB), have essentially double the performance speeds of SanDisk’s predecessor Extreme product line which currently has the fastest working cards in many of today’s leading digital single lens reflex (SLR) cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...extremeIII.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    There was already mention of this in a thread. I think this is potentially major news. If these cards are really twice as fast as the current ultra II, it will mean I should be able to put fairly large apps on the card that I currently have in RAM (eg, Snappermail, Datebk5, etc). For those of us who constantly struggle with insufficient RAM, it could be a real help.
    I think the exciting part of this is that the disks will grow to up to 4 gigs, but it doesn't look like sd cards will carry the extra space.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    There was already mention of this in a thread. I think this is potentially major news. If these cards are really twice as fast as the current ultra II, it will mean I should be able to put fairly large apps on the card that I currently have in RAM (eg, Snappermail, Datebk5, etc). For those of us who constantly struggle with insufficient RAM, it could be a real help.
    I may be wrong on this, but I think that the Treo itself will be the bottleneck in terms of the speed with which the card can perform. I am not sure that you will see any benefit over the current high speed cards as the Treo's read/write spead is so poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchtrader
    I may be wrong on this, but I think that the Treo itself will be the bottleneck in terms of the speed with which the card can perform. I am not sure that you will see any benefit over the current high speed cards as the Treo's read/write spead is so poor.
    Has anybody done any tests to see what speed cards the Treo 600 can optimize before the marginal utility of having higher speed cards diminishes? I've been waiting to buy an SD Card and would hate to buy the fastest card, but then realize I've wasted money on speed I can't utilize.

Thanks.
    I'm thinking that with the T650's fast processor, a faster card should make a difference. That's what I would be getting this card for.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    yeah, the new cards will require new hardware I believe to achieve maximum benefit, maybe in the T700
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I think we will need to wait for some brave souls to test this when the new card comes out. It is clear that the Ultra II provides faster transfer speeds than "regular" SD cards. We will just need to wait and see the benchmarks to see if the 600 hardware is the bottleneck, or whether there is some improvement. I'm holding off on upgrading my plain vanilla Kingston 512 card until we learn more...