Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why would someone choose the Palm OS over Microsoft Windows Mobile OS.
    Well there is going to be a lot of this OS is better in this thread soon.

Personally I have never tried a MS phone, so I cannot say which crashes more.
    There is nothing on an MS phone that I know of that I cannot get on my treo600.

What made me choose the Treo. Its compact size, and the the fact that all MS phones look ugly to me.

I do however like the design of the MPX. Only seen pics though...never bothered to look for it in a store to try out.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    Well there is going to be a lot of this OS is better in this thread soon.

Personally I have never tried a MS phone, so I cannot say which crashes more.
    There is nothing on an MS phone that I know of that I cannot get on my treo600.

What made me choose the Treo. Its compact size, and the the fact that all MS phones look ugly to me.

I do however like the design of the MPX. Only seen pics though...never bothered to look for it in a store to try out.

If you have data access/web access you can't play Quicktime or Windows Media files from the web page. I think you can do that with Windows Mobile.

Those freaking Windows Mobile phones are HUGE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    If you have data access/web access you can't play Quicktime or Windows Media files from the web page. I think you can do that with Windows Mobile.

Those freaking Windows Mobile phones are HUGE!

And how long do i get to wait for those to download?

I mostly use my phone for data access when i need information (movie times) , when im bored (when I read the news), or if Im without interent access for more then 24hrs where i check a few essential websites.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i might be tempted to switch to windows mobile if they made a phone that didn't need license plates and a garage.....the mobile windows media player is very intriguing....then again we are talking about microsoft.....
    Here are some of the reasons why I carry a Treo 600 and not a Windows Mobile device:

1. Ease of use.
    2. Battery life.
    3. Form factor.

I develop software on Palm and Windows, and I much prefer a Palm device for most things.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    My ultimate phone would be a Treo 600 form factor running the PocketPC OS.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Well, the Windows Mobile OS and technology is far superior to Palm. The first major one I think of is ActiveSync. Its the Windows "Hotsync" program. It's extremely cool because it constantly running. If you get a new email in Outlook, it automatically gets synced to the device. Same goes for the other stuff: Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, etc. Because of this is takes seconds to sync. Running a Hotsync on a Palm with Docs to Go and Intellisync takes much longer.

As for the technology, the Windows Mobile OS is better. Well, maybe it's not the software, its the devices. Bluetooth, Wifi, SDIO, etc. Palm can't even get Wifi into the new Treo. The integration is awesome too, those iPaqs are amazing.

The part I hate about Palm is all the third party crap you have to buy to make it close to an iPaq. Docs to Go for Office apps, Intellisync for syncing Outlook data, email apps on the device, etc.

All that being said, the Treo is awesome. The OS is kinda outdated, but the form factor is top notch. Like someone else said, the Windows Mobile PDA phones are huge! That iPaq 6315 is a brick. The older one from T-Mobile and AT&T was too.

Palm seems to be into more of an integration of a PDA and a phone than the PocketPC world. They are still more of a PDA or more of a Phone (MPx200). I'll love the Treo, but not sure if I can wait for the GSM versions. Seems like Sprint is going to have the jump on everyone again. I may have to pickup the MPx220 in the meantime. Bluetooth is very important to me.
    I have used both OSs. However, I have not used the latester version of Pocket PC or smartphone. It is kind of like Coke and Pepsi, Chevy and Ford, and Big Mac and Whoppers. I can list all the reasons why one is better than the other, but, in the end, I simply prefer Palm OS.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I'll love the Treo, but not sure if I can wait for the GSM versions. Seems like Sprint is going to have the jump on everyone again. I may have to pickup the MPx220 in the meantime. Bluetooth is very important to me.
    Why do you have to have the GSM model? Won't the CDMA carriers use bluetooth? One of the techs felt as though they (Sprint) would.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    "Well, the Windows Mobile OS and technology is far superior to Palm. The first major one I think of is ActiveSync. Its the Windows "Hotsync" program. It's extremely cool because it constantly running. "
    Please step away from the crack pipe. Put it down now, you're killing yourself. . .

Seriously, I own both PPC and Palm devices, I cannot imagine a world where anyone likes Active Sync, much less thinks it's better than Hotsync.

Active Sync sucks, plain and simple. I've never thought AS was more reliable, faster or more effective than Hotsync, in fact AS crashed on a random basis with every PC I've used it with.

If you want Palm integration with Outlook, then Pocket Mirror is MUCH better than intellisync and activesync because it actually works and doesn't crash the PC.

I've been carrying a Treo since the day they shipped the 180, I've tried numerous PPC phones and I always go back to the treo.

Why?

Becuase they are more reliable (shutter to think, given all the build quality issues I've had) and they just work better as integrated devices (PDA/Phone) than any of the PPC units I've tried.
    My favorite of the PPC units is the Moto Mx200, which works pretty darn well as a phone and okay as a PDA. The 220 will certainly be an improvement, but neither could sway me from the treo based on ease of use and integration.

Sure, there's lots of cool stuff on PPC, I've used mine to give powerpoints, listen to music, view pictures, etc. But when it comes to something that helps me organize my life and stay productive (in a billable and charitable sense) the Palm OS is the hands down winner.

If you just want a gadget and a poor cell phone, then I can see where the PPC makes sense, it's flashy and cool. But none of the PPC's could replace a Palm V for PDA use, much less a treo.
    You'd have to specify if you mean Windows Mobile for Smartphone, or Windows Mobile for Pocket PC (which also has a Phone Edition). I have owned the Samsung i600, which has the former OS. I really like the phone, but ultimately I got dissatisfied with the lack of input, other than the keypad/T9. I personally prefer the look and feel of the Windows Mobile OS over Palm though. For me, the most ideal phone would be a flip phone (like the i600) with Pocket PC Phone Edition, with a touch-screen keyboard.

But the Palm OS is very nice as well. Cobalt will make it nicer yet.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    PPC requires faster CPU and more memory, which drains the battery fast and requires you to use a brick-like battery -- see MPx. Palm OS is too lightweight to do everything that people want, especially multi-tasking, which is why Palm is coming out with Cobalt OS. This is very comparable to the desktop situation, where Windows XP won't run well on anything less than a Pentium IV, whereas Linux will run very well on any 10-year-old box.

PPC also tends to be found in devices that emphasize PDA/games/web browsing first, and phone second. One measure of excellence in phones is, can you use it one-handed? There are no PPC phones that meet this standard. Another measure of excellence in phones is, do you feel like an ***** holding the device up to your ear? Come on now, I'm sure we can all think of PPC phones that you would never carry into a bar with you because you would get razzed if it ever rang, and you can't put it in your pocket when you're not using it.
    CNet's "PDA Prize fight" Article is a good overview.....

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3127_7-...-1.html?tag=fs
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    PPC requires faster CPU and more memory, which drains the battery fast and requires you to use a brick-like battery -- see MPx. Palm OS is too lightweight to do everything that people want, especially multi-tasking, which is why Palm is coming out with Cobalt OS. This is very comparable to the desktop situation, where Windows XP won't run well on anything less than a Pentium IV, whereas Linux will run very well on any 10-year-old box.

PPC also tends to be found in devices that emphasize PDA/games/web browsing first, and phone second. One measure of excellence in phones is, can you use it one-handed? There are no PPC phones that meet this standard. Another measure of excellence in phones is, do you feel like an ***** holding the device up to your ear? Come on now, I'm sure we can all think of PPC phones that you would never carry into a bar with you because you would get razzed if it ever rang, and you can't put it in your pocket when you're not using it.

what the hell are you blathering about.
    1. MPX uses similar proc as h6300. ANd nobody is complaining about how slow h6300 is.
    2.MPX is unreleased product.
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    CNet's "PDA Prize fight" Article is a good overview.....

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3127_7-...-1.html?tag=fs
    I think that pretty much sums it up and fully corresponds with my experiences. I went from a P800 to a Treo 600, then to a SPV M1000 (a.k.a. QTEK 2020 or XDA II), and then back to a Treo 600. In the end, both Palm and WM do what they need to do (at least for me) and it came down to the form factor and the fundamental question of having a phone with PDA capabilities, or vice versa. But besides, there were some annoying things about Windows Mobile, for example

- Yes, ActiveSync integrates nicely and keeps your device constantly up-to-date. It also adds your device as an external drive on your computer, nice as well. But overall, it seems to be in a never-ending beta phase. It's buggy. For example, try to exit Outlook while connected via ActiveSync, Outlook will hang and remain a running process in the background. Open a new email before it has automatically synchronized, it'll give you a synchronization error and you'll have to delete or move the email to solve it.

- No Notes synchronization. Come on, what's that all about? Why on earth didn't they include Outlook notes into the synchronization process?

- Email is slow, very slow. Checking our email is a pain in the neck, especially if you have several email accounts. It takes at least 30 seconds (that's a long time, believe me) to check one account.

Palm might seem a bit clumsy and simplistic compared to Windows Mobile, but in my experiences, Palm delivers what it promises (and what it learned throughout the years before Windows Mobile came along).
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Seriously, I own both PPC and Palm devices, I cannot imagine a world where anyone likes Active Sync, much less thinks it's better than Hotsync.
    I also own both a PPC (Dell Axim X3i) and also a Treo 600. I have never had any problems with Activesync at all. You make a change to your Outlook Calendar and it immediately gets transferred to the PPC. No remembering to press the sync button. IMO in general, the Treo/Palm looks extremely dated and old-fashioned compared to the Dell/PPC; but this is cosmetics only. On the other hand I do love the small form factor and ease of use of the Treo; especially the one-handed use with the 5-way control. You could never do this with a PPC device. For the most part you rely alot more on the stylus. I very seldom use the stylus on my 600.

I read back over my post after changing 650 to 600 and a couple of other thoughts came to my mind. Maybe this would help folks in comparing the two -

Form factor - Treo beats PPC all to pieces (not even close)
    Ease of use - Once again no contest, Treo much better
    Activesync vs HotSync - PPC wins in this category, never have to press button
    Calendar - Treo is better, I like the week at a glance, you don't have this with PPC (at least without 3rd-party software)
    Notes - Much better on Treo, the notes program on the PPC is very cumbersome
    Email - Treo wins by a long shot. Chatter is the one program that I find indispensible on my Treo. I use it all the time. There is nothing comparable on the PPC since I'm not always connected with the PPC.
    Word, Excel - PPC wins this one, I have latest Docs to Go, but Pocket Word and Excel are still better IMO
    Playing MP3's - believe it or not but I like the Treo better here, PTunes is much better than any mp3 player I've found for PPC UNLESS you are playing files off your desktop using WiFi. Treo can't do this.
    Playing WMV movies converted from DVD's - PPC wins here. Movies in 160x160 resolution just doesn't compare to 240x320. Now maybe the 650 with 320x320 will change this. Plus the larger screen size on the PPC makes viewing movies better.
    Web browsing - PPC wins, Pocket IE does a much better job with most websites over Blazer EXCEPT when you can't have access via WiFi then obviously Treo comes out ahead.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by WolfpackFan; 10/06/2004 at 07:35 AM.
    Wolf Packfan, where'd you get a Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    Wolf Packfan, where'd you get a Treo 650?
    Sorry about that. Meant 600. Been thinking about the 650 too much lately. I've changed my post and added to it.
    Last edited by WolfpackFan; 10/06/2004 at 07:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    One measure of excellence in phones is, can you use it one-handed? There are no PPC phones that meet this standard.
    What a complete and utter load of crap, from someone who is obviously bagging the competition when he knows nothing about them..... Please if your going to be a palm fanboy at least do a little bit of research!!!!

PPC also tends to be found in devices that emphasize PDA/games/web browsing first, and phone second.
    Fair enough for some people that is what they want a PDA with some phone function so they don't have to carry a second device, others want a phone with some PDA function. This doesn't make Palm better than PPC, if anything the opposite as at this moment there are PPCs that as you say are PDAs first and there are windows mobile smartphone devices which are phones first. Palm at this moment only offers the second choice. That said I liked my Tungsten W as it was a PDA first and look forward to Palm one day introducing another device like that! some day in the future maybe?
    Last edited by joele; 10/06/2004 at 07:36 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast