Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8
    ...The iPaq 6315 was a NIGHTMARE. It was branded t-mobile, and I had problems with it right out of the box. The most obvious problem was its inability to send e-mails with ANY attachments over the GPRS connection. It is a known issue between T-Mobile and HP, and they are working on it...but an estimated fix date of DECEMBER on an issue that should have been perfected by the get-go?..
    The update to fix email attachment problems was released at the beginning of this week.

http://www.t-mobile.com/hpupdate/
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    If it's broken it's not like I can get it up and running from a clean install and easily restore. Well maybe if I ghosted a clean image and then stored my data elsewhere, but who wants to go through that work.
    You lost me there why is it harder to get a wm2003 device working again? both Palm and Windows devices have protected ROMS that the OS is loaded from when you do a hard reset. And with my WM device just like my Palm device I do regular self extracting backups which I keep on my PC that easily restore without issue!

As for the 6315, well if someone wants a PPC phone why get a 6315 when you can get the HTC manufactured Imate pda2k (xda IIi), it is miles ahead of the 6315. Hell apart from built in wifi so is my XDA II, twice the processor speed and it has been around for a year, I can buy a snap on thumboard for it too. I have been burnt by HP in PC products years ago, and seen the crap friends of mine have bought from them, I wouldn't touch any HP products (PC, PPC, printers or scanners) IMHO you pay TOP dollar for mediocre products.

But this is getting way off topic, as for windows OS v. Palm OS ATM I think there are definate advantages and disadvantages to each, Cobolt when they finally release PDAs with it running on them, will help Palm catch up in the areas they are lacking (eg Multitasking) and well we will have to wait and see what improvements the next Windows Mobile OS brings as WM2003SE was not a huge improvement, the most obvious features still lacking is decent task managment, this is easily solved by many third party apps, but this shouldn't be necessary....
    Last edited by joele; 10/10/2004 at 09:42 AM.
    WM2003 is far superior to POS, with all the complaints about the T600 not being up to date with current technologies nor the T650 upon its release. Buy what suits your needs. If all you want is a phone with a calendar then get a $49 special from Nokia. IMO WM2003 Phone Edition is far superior to POS in everyway. Th only thing the Treo line has going for it is the compact size. I currently have the h6315, which I am very happy with. It does everything from streaming video to replace the remotes to my hometheater. Size is an issue but it aint that much bigger than the t600 and is sure a better device by far with the exception of voice quality.
    SPCS / RL-7300 -> VM-4500 -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600 -> TREO 650??
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    You lost me there why is it harder to get a wm2003 device working again? both Palm and Windows devices have protected ROMS that the OS is loaded from when you do a hard reset. And with my WM device just like my Palm device I do regular self extracting backups which I keep on my PC that easily restore without issue!
    Someone was saying they had a really, really hard time upgrading the OS. I was speculating that to upgrade the OS you would be overwriting the protected ROM part (unless you want to carry two OSes or something) and if something is messed up in that process, it would seem that you would be stuck.

I'm speculating because I don't have a WM device, but the logic makes sense I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashe30
    WM2003 is far superior to POS, with all the complaints about the T600 not being up to date with current technologies nor the T650 upon its release. Buy what suits your needs. If all you want is a phone with a calendar then get a $49 special from Nokia. IMO WM2003 Phone Edition is far superior to POS in everyway. Th only thing the Treo line has going for it is the compact size. I currently have the h6315, which I am very happy with. It does everything from streaming video to replace the remotes to my hometheater. Size is an issue but it aint that much bigger than the t600 and is sure a better device by far with the exception of voice quality.
    What current technologies does the Treo 650 not support that many other phones support? Wifi on the h6315 is one, but because it doesn't integrate the keyboard fully (people have trouble getting to be recognized by the OS) it loses that edge. What technologies did the Treo 600 lack back a year ago when it was designed (you can't compare current technologies with a device that's a year old).
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Battery life? Not on the treo. . . I have to charge mine at least one during every day and overnight.
    Thank God they finally added a removable battery in the 650.
    The battery is fantastic on my Treo. I charge mine about once per week. Now it's almost a year old, with a lot of use I'm now having to sometimes charge it every 5 days.

You must have a faulty one..
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Seriously, I own both PPC and Palm devices, I cannot imagine a world where anyone likes Active Sync, much less thinks it's better than Hotsync.
    I'm a bit behind in this thread in quoting this from page 1...but the one thing I DO like about ActiveSync is how you can set it to sync continuously. That worked very very well for me. Anytime I popped my i600 out of its cradle, I could be sure it was completely up to date. If Hotsync can do that, then I have not yet figured out how...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8

My second rant about Windows Mobile "Smart" phones:
    THEY FREEZE ALL THE TIME
    Brady,

Just noticed that the SPV C500 my girlfriends just bought has started freezing. No flippin reset hole or anything. Do you know of any way to reset the device without removing the darn battery!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I am personally torn between the Treo 650 and the BenQ P50. Similar form factors and weight. Both have thumboards. I use a Mac after switching from Windows 2 years ago. I have had a Palm V, and a T2 in the past as well as a Kyo7135. I am somewhat familiar with Palm OS. I hear so many good things about PPC devices and now with PocketMac, they sync up too. I don't know if WiFi will be something I will use often, but for the money, I want to have the option. This is really a difficult decision.
    Lemme throw in my two bits here, and I'll preface this by saying I'm a fairly tech-savvy person, run both Mac and PC in my home network (3 Mac, 2 PC) and travel about 50% of the time.

I have really enjoyed my Treo 600, and I am probably going to dump it, because the value proposition just isn't there for me; I thought it was, but I made a mistake.

I bought the Treo with a pretty simple goal in mind - I wanted a good smartphone that I could carry on basic appointments with customers and not have to haul out the laptop. If a customer needed a particular price list or quote, I could pull out the phone and email the requisite file to them, right there on site. I also needed to get access to my corporate email, which runs MS Exchange.

Now - I am required to use PDFs due to our company's ISO regulations, and I can't do that on the Treo simply. I had to buy a separate email client to deal with the corporate email. And, in talking to other regular business travelers, it has been my experience, that most of us have the same needs, and those who have Treos say the same thing..."it's nice, but, I sort of wish we'd bought Blackberry" or some other comment that indicated that the Treo wasn't quite right.

The Treo isn't cutting it for me. Maybe I didn't make an informed decision when I bought it, I dunno. But it has turned out to be a $400 cell phone rather than a decent convergence device. This is not a strike against the Treo itself - it's just not right for me.

Relevant to this thread, I have never had a problem with the Windows Mobile OSs. I could read my PDFs, get Outlook mail, etc with almost no difficulty. It's why I'm seriously considering the MPX220 when it comes out. But I'll do plenty more research before I buy it.

Windows Mobile is more intuitive than Palm OS, (imho), and that makes a huge difference. I can pick up an M$ device and handle it fairly quickly - I still struggle with learning how to do certain things in Palm OS - basic things like file management, and I'm not necessarily patient enough to learn a new way to do things when I have other things to manage. I need a mobile device that is EASY to use the first time and every time.

God knows, if there was a Mac-OS based smartphone I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

But the simple lack of PDF support has absolutely ruined this for me, and, for my needs, I believe I made a bad choice. Looking at Blackberry lately, but not even sure it will do what I need. I may buy a cheap phone for voice and get an EDGE card to use with my laptop. I haven't figured it out yet.

The point of this rant (benign as it is) is that I truly believe that many product offerings are exactly right for certain people, despite what global reviews and forums say. I have no doubt that for many of you, your Treo is perfect for you. I have no doubt that for many dissatisfied owners, it comes down an incorrect purchase.

I've thought about holding out for the 650, since I've already got an investment of time and money in the technology (software, etc) but unless they miraculously say to me "Yes, you have the ability to natively view PDFs and other MS-application documents, edit them and send them at will" (and those documents are the defacto standard) then I doubt I'm going to give P1 any more money.

<sigh> I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not sure they make what I really want yet.

Anyone want to buy my T600? I've only had it a few months.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I own a Treo 600 and it is the best PDA phone on the market to this day. I will tell you as well that I am also a long time user of Pocket PC. I really prefer the PPC OS because it includes everything that I need in a PDA. I don't need to buy extra programs to do any of the things I want to do with a PDA when I am using a Windows Mobile device, whereas I usually do have to buy a seperate program for a Palm device.

Strictly looking at the PDA aspect of these devices, I GREATLY prefer the PPC. The Palm OS is too limited for my use as a student and too often requires that I buy something from some developer, something that should be included when I purchase the device.

As for the phone part of these devices, the Palm Treo 600 does a much better job of integrating that with the PDA part of the device, making it much easier to use. The PPC does a very good job with this, but is just not as good as the Palm. Now, it might be better to compare the Treo600 to Windows Smartphones, as they tend to be better phones than PDAs, just like the Treo. Here is where it gets alot closer. I find that I prefer the Windows phones for the most part, but they bug me on some important points. Browsing the web on them sucks. I can't think of any positives regarding the web experience on them. Management of emails and SMS is horrible for a "smart" device. Why the hell would I want my SMS messages mixed in with my email? Really...what is that all about? Everything else about PIM management on the WM smartphones was very nice and I would like to try one again when the next ones are released. Also, it was really difficult to type an SMS message with my MPx200, as it would often mistakenly as letters that I didnít type. It didnít do this anywhere but the SMS application but it was really annoying.

Is Palm more reliable than PPC. NO. NO. NO!! I have had more problems with my Treo 600 than any of the PPC and WM smartphones Iíve owned in the past 3 years. Do PPCs freeze sometimes? Yes. Do Palms freeze sometimes. Yes. Which freezes more? Well, my Treo resets itself unexpectedly (alot), but rarely freezes, whereas my E805 froze every once in a while (twice in a month or so) but never reset itself, and that was while using a hack to leave it in full VGA mode.

I would prefer to have the Treo 600 hardware with a PPC OS. I would have little need for any extra software and I get the keyboard that I really enjoy. Plus, it looks cool.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashe30
    WM2003 is far superior to POS, with all the complaints about the T600 not being up to date with current technologies nor the T650 upon its release. Buy what suits your needs. If all you want is a phone with a calendar then get a $49 special from Nokia. IMO WM2003 Phone Edition is far superior to POS in everyway.
    Well, you have a right to your opinion of course, but flat statements about WM2003 superiority are worth less than $.02. Either say why or STFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBilly
    <sigh> I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not sure they make what I really want yet.
    I think this is precisely my problem. The Treo 600 has given me a taste of what could be possible, but even among the announced but not yet available phones there isn't anything that fits my needs completely. I'm still trying to work out whether to go for the Treo 650 or the MDA III (SPV M2000). Although I'd like the abilibty to browse the internet on my phone, it seems there just is no good way to do it yet. I suspect it's just going to be a case of things maturing over the next decade. For now there are a lot of compromises to be made, and the difficult part is knowing which compromise is going to bug me the most!
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    I charge mine about once per week
    You must not talk much or use data
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une ťmission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Someone was saying they had a really, really hard time upgrading the OS. I was speculating that to upgrade the OS you would be overwriting the protected ROM part (unless you want to carry two OSes or something) and if something is messed up in that process, it would seem that you would be stuck.

I'm speculating because I don't have a WM device, but the logic makes sense I think.
    Ahh OK I got you, well the ROM upgrade for my Imate PPC phone was similar to the Treo 600 upgrade from memory. I ran a program on the PC and it replaced the read only ROM part of the phone, and then I did a hard reset and it was done. Sprite Backup have a way of backing up only your data and apps (not OS related stuff) so you can safely do a restore onto a different ROM version after the upgrade.

If the process fails for some reason then yes you would probably have to take the phone into a service center for them to reflash it for you. However I would guess if the ROM upgrade had failed half way through on my Treo 600 (say I was stupid enough to do upgrade on battery power and it ran out?) I would think the Treo would have been just as screwed as my PPC would have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    If the process fails for some reason then yes you would probably have to take the phone into a service center for them to reflash it for you. However I would guess if the ROM upgrade had failed half way through on my Treo 600 (say I was stupid enough to do upgrade on battery power and it ran out?) I would think the Treo would have been just as screwed as my PPC would have been.
    I suppose you are right, but I don't think anyone has upgraded the Treo OS to a new OS version while it looks like people do that with PPC. I suppose some would take that as a negative. Me, I take it as a positive.

I don't know if the ROM updates would make the phone fubar if died half-way through because they aren't replacing the whole OS. For the most part they are supplementing the OS.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234