Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    CNet's "PDA Prize fight" Article is a good overview.....

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3127_7-...-1.html?tag=fs

    Nice article...........!
  2. #22  
    the ppc660x is looking real good.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    As for the technology, the Windows Mobile OS is better. Well, maybe it's not the software, its the devices. Bluetooth, Wifi, SDIO, etc. Palm can't even get Wifi into the new Treo. The integration is awesome too, those iPaqs are amazing.

    The part I hate about Palm is all the third party crap you have to buy to make it close to an iPaq. Docs to Go for Office apps, Intellisync for syncing Outlook data, email apps on the device, etc.
    I don't think it's that Palm can't get wifi, I think it's just that the carriers don't want them too. There's a huge difference in there. Nothing in "Palm OS" prevents bluetooth, wifi, or SDIO from working. For example see the Tunsten lines that have ability for all this.

    I'd much rather have the third party apps. It fosters competition. Look what happened when IE was bundled into Windows. Microsoft stopped developing it. Then when browsers like Firefox, Safari, Opera start making headlines, Microsoft grudgingly decides they'll do a little a development. That said Palm OS comes with free versions of Docs to Go and Email and asks me whether I want to sync to Outlook from day one (it even asked me back in my Visor Deluxe days).
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    CNet's "PDA Prize fight" Article is a good overview.....

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3127_7-...-1.html?tag=fs
    That is a great article and it's worth noting that of the two points that Windows Mobile won, the input one is irrelevant to many people on this board. It would likely have drawn a draw (simply because they are not comparable) or a win by Palm (only suskind doesn't see thumbboard's success).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    That is a great article and it's worth noting that of the two points that Windows Mobile won, the input one is irrelevant to many people on this board. It would likely have drawn a draw (simply because they are not comparable) or a win by Palm (only suskind doesn't see thumbboard's success).
    I wonder how CNET would have scored Microsoft Smartphone vs Palm OS in those categories? A clean sweep for Palm with the possible exception of the mutimedia category?

    Microsoft Smartphone is probably doomed anyway.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    I wonder how CNET would have scored Microsoft Smartphone vs Palm OS in those categories? A clean sweep for Palm with the possible exception of the mutimedia category?

    Microsoft Smartphone is probably doomed anyway.
    MarkC, I really advise a strong pinch of salt before you read MSMobiles.com! He's been ranting and raving for years, and is regarded as a (bad) joke in most M$ Smartphone circles.
    Animo et Fide
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    I wonder how CNET would have scored Microsoft Smartphone vs Palm OS in those categories? A clean sweep for Palm with the possible exception of the mutimedia category?

    Microsoft Smartphone is probably doomed anyway.
    I can't keep track of wht Microsoft Smartphone vs. Microsoft PocketPC Phone vs. whatever else they might call something. They should have just went with Microsoft Mobile 2004 (or perhaps Microsoft Phone 2004) and not wait until 2006.

    I hope there's a net under that pole in the pictures. Otherwise people are going to fall to their death when they get to the top. Maybe Microsoft wants to send the message of "Follow us -- to your doom!"
  8. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #28  
    M$ Smartphones have no input device, other than T9. Doh!
  9. Hicks's Avatar
    Posts
    936 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #29  
    My girlfriend received her new SPV C500 smartphone yesterday. I think it's great! 4 day battery strength, good camera with ambience settings that actually work and video. Very small and light with a crisp bright screen, blue tooth and a light sensor on the key pad.

    Only draw backs are the T9 text input and I'm not too keen on the calendar views (although no doubt there's some third party software out there to solve this).

    I was tempted to get one but I've invested too much money in Palm software.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

    Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  10. #30  
    No one has mentioned applications. It is Palm applications that keep me on Palm OS. I understand that PPC is open to new applications. However, I have years of learning time invested in my Palm applications. While I might be willing to learn a new operating system and interface, I do not want to have to identify, pay for, install AND learn all new applications.

    Of course, that is OS to OS comparison. We can have another thread on hardware. That one will feature the Treo on the Palm side but is not likely to find such a clear leader on the PPC side.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/06/2004 at 04:10 PM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    MarkC, I really advise a strong pinch of salt before you read MSMobiles.com! He's been ranting and raving for years, and is regarded as a (bad) joke in most M$ Smartphone circles.
    Peter, Thanks for the advice. That would make the statement 'We have received unofficial information from Microsoft, that Microsoft Smartphone platform will disappear soon...', how should we put it, not completely in accordance with the truth?!

    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I can't keep track of wht Microsoft Smartphone vs. Microsoft PocketPC Phone vs. whatever else they might call something. They should have just went with Microsoft Mobile 2004 (or perhaps Microsoft Phone 2004) and not wait until 2006.
    Couldn't agreed more. I think it wouldn't be at all a bad thing if the two MS mobile OSs became one, especially if that meant we got something like the SPV C500 with a touch screen. Hicks, I agree with you on both counts. The C500 is a sweet little device but can't imagine using it to quickly enter an appointment, let alone compose a lengthy email.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I hope there's a net under that pole in the pictures. Otherwise people are going to fall to their death when they get to the top. Maybe Microsoft wants to send the message of "Follow us -- to your doom!"
    Lol!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    That is a great article and it's worth noting that of the two points that Windows Mobile won, the input one is irrelevant to many people on this board. It would likely have drawn a draw (simply because they are not comparable) or a win by Palm (only suskind doesn't see thumbboard's success).

    bla bla bla....
    http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=1412

    ------
    now, for my next guest.
    Palm will drop thumboard soon enough
  13. #33  
    The topic, Window Mobile vs Palm

    I just spent 3 hours with an iPaq 6315 - bottom line, I am taking it back and waiting for the Treo 650. Besides not being able to get the thing to connect to my airport base station (it saw it, would not take the password, connect - I KNOW THE PASSWORD!). It was a bad experience. I have to say that I will have to tell my kids I am sorry for my attitude. The palm is simple - that is it. Forget that I could not get it right with my Mac, but it was just hard going through all that “windoze stuff”.

    My vote - PALM - I just pray they hurry up and get 6.1 into a phone.
  14. #34  
    here is what i am waiting for (like that link above):
    benQ's p50.
    it has integrated wifi, bluetooth, windows ppc mobile phone edition, qwerty keyboard, 1.3MP camera, and is the same size as treo. it seems to have everything, and in a compact design (BenQ p50=12 x 6 x 2 cm-treo 600=11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm). i have waited this long, i might wait until next year now. hopefully it comes early 05. i really hope the folks at palm1 see this thing and realize what it could mean for thier market share. maybe it will light a fire and get palm1 to integrate palm os v6/wifi/bluetooth 1.2 in the nextgen treo sooner than we think!
    Last edited by BigKenny; 10/08/2004 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbdaigo
    The topic, Window Mobile vs Palm

    I just spent 3 hours with an iPaq 6315 - bottom line, I am taking it back and waiting for the Treo 650. Besides not being able to get the thing to connect to my airport base station (it saw it, would not take the password, connect - I KNOW THE PASSWORD!). It was a bad experience. I have to say that I will have to tell my kids I am sorry for my attitude. The palm is simple - that is it. Forget that I could not get it right with my Mac, but it was just hard going through all that “windoze stuff”.

    My vote - PALM - I just pray they hurry up and get 6.1 into a phone.
    Ever try connecting SD WiFi card + palm handheld to airport?
    lol.
  16. Kash76's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    #36  
    Lol!
    Kash76

    Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    bla bla bla....
    http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=1412

    ------
    now, for my next guest.
    Palm will drop thumboard soon enough
    Just more vaporware that's been coming from the PPC camp for over a year. You were saying the Treo is a year behind in development. This 1978-looking TI calculator is already a year behind and it will probably be two more before it comes out.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    here is what i am waiting for (like that link above):
    benQ's p50.
    it has integrated wifi, bluetooth, windows ppc mobile phone edition, qwerty keyboard, 1.3MP camera, and is the same size as treo. it seems to have everything, and in a compact design (BenQ p50=12 x 6 x 2 cm-treo 600=11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm). i have waited this long, i might wait until next year now. hopefully it comes early 05. i really hope the folks at palm1 see this thing and realize what it could mean for thier market share. maybe it will light a fire and get palm1 to integrate palm os v6/wifi/bluetooth 1.2 in the nextgen treo sooner than we think!
    If you are in the US, do you think any carrier's other than Tmobile will carry it? It seems that Tmobile is the only carrier to go with a wifi-capable phone. Until all carriers have a wifi phone, I don't think the Treo will integrate it in because they don't want to take it out for people like Sprint (if Sprint objects). The goal is not to make 5 entirely different sets of hardware. They could do something like the camera (with and without version), but I would think if anything they'd just finally support the SD slot and can tell carriers that they are just giving expansion capabilities, not including it. Kind of like they did with the Treo 600, but actually give the expansion capabilities.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    What a complete and utter load of crap, from someone who is obviously bagging the competition when he knows nothing about them..... Please if your going to be a palm fanboy at least do a little bit of research!!!!
    Okay - so name the one-handed PPC based champs?

    What's that - cat got your tongue?

    If you don't count the Samsung i600 (which I say you CAN"T count because NO device WITHOUT a touch screen is a viable PDA), there are no phone-centric, one-handed PPC phones.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Okay - so name the one-handed PPC based champs?
    define 'one handedness' (let's see if we can go beyond P1 marketoid speaks and gets down to reality.

    and with hx4700 you can doodle without opening the screen cover, nevermind moving around selection cursor. Can any Palm model does that?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions