1.    #1  
    Holly Cannoli!

This is great. I only hope they develop it QUICK and then release a new download for the Treo 600 (hope not to have to migrate to the 650 just for this, although I will if I have to). Also, that they add support for that pesky IPSec VPN, otherwise I will not be able to use it

Between this and the announcement of Blackberry support on the Treo, it shows that P1 is ready to fight for the corporate user.
    I misread this title on the main TC page and thought it was about exchanging the Treo600 for the 650 and could not click on it quick enough...LOL...
    Yeah, my only question is that if it's out of the box, then shouldn't it just work now? What do I have to download to get this working? Are we waiting for a new Mail application with this support built in just like we are waiting for the Blackberry Connect software as well?

What is going to be the difference between the two? I thought that basically they do the same thing, which is sync up your mail, calendar, etc. and alert you of new mail in real time. Why the need for both?
  4.    #4  
    I actually think the Blackberry connect and the support for Exchange nicely complement each other, at least from PalmOne's point of view. This is why:

1. The Blackberry server works with both Exchange and Lotus Notes, and it is already installed in a great number of companies. Thus for PalmOne it is nice to have a way to enter those companies in a "transparent" fashion, that is, not requiring participation from IT

2. The direct connect to Exchange is more tailored to companies that do not yet have the blackberry server installed. With the announced support, PalmOne will also be able to enter those companies without requiring any participation from their IT.

Eventually, the blackberry server will become redundant in companies that run Exchange, and a pull to migrate away from Blackberrys to Treos will be felt in those companies so to eliminate the cost associated with the blackberry server (again, good news for PalmOne). For companies bound to Lotus Notes, blackberry will still be king, but users with a preference for Treos will be able to get their way without upsetting their IT departments.

All in all, I think this is a great 1-2 combination for PalmOne, since the combination of blackberry and exchange probably accounts for about 80% of the corporate e-mail market and its derivative PIM products.

However, this is VERY bad news for Goodlink.
    The piece that I read suggests that "Exchange Right Out of the Box" will work at some point in the future with some Treo models, but didn't specify when or which models. Is there any specific reason to believe that this feature will be available with the 600/650?
    I get now why it's a good 1-2 punch for Palm. Right now I have Exchange with Blackberry Server on it, so I guess I'm just waiting for whichever comes first. Oh and my company is looking to add GoodLink or Seven, so it's kind of a funny situation. I have no way right now and I'll have 3 in the "near" future.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska
    The piece that I read suggests that "Exchange Right Out of the Box" will work at some point in the future with some Treo models, but didn't specify when or which models. Is there any specific reason to believe that this feature will be available with the 600/650?
    Wishful thinking?

Seriously, you raise an important point - there is no indication of a timeline in the press release. They may keep us user in this limbo for a while. However, I do not see any technical limitations why they should not be able to do this on the 600 - Exchange already has an open protocol, so it's just a matter of creating a T600 client to read that protocol as if it were Outlook, and bundling it in a download for us hungry users. Heck, it doesn't even look that difficult from a technical point of view. BUT, they may want to save the exchange access for the future in order to give users a compelling reason to migrate to new devices.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I get now why it's a good 1-2 punch for Palm. Right now I have Exchange with Blackberry Server on it, so I guess I'm just waiting for whichever comes first. Oh and my company is looking to add GoodLink or Seven, so it's kind of a funny situation. I have no way right now and I'll have 3 in the "near" future.
    I'm with you on this one. It sucks to feel that you are "so near yet so far" from getting access to the full potential of the device
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdasilva
    Wishful thinking?

Seriously, you raise an important point - there is no indication of a timeline in the press release. They may keep us user in this limbo for a while. However, I do not see any technical limitations why they should not be able to do this on the 600 - Exchange already has an open protocol, so it's just a matter of creating a T600 client to read that protocol as if it were Outlook, and bundling it in a download for us hungry users. Heck, it doesn't even look that difficult from a technical point of view. BUT, they may want to save the exchange access for the future in order to give users a compelling reason to migrate to new devices.
    Gizmodo.com is reporting that they had a phone call and it only applies to the upcoming Treo 650. No word on if they'll release one for the Treo 600. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work on the Treo 600 though.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    AND...

This will only work (unless I'm reading it wrong) if you have an Exchange 2003 server.
    You're probably right - Exchange 2003 has the Mobile ActiveSync functionality built in. The only other way it might work is if you were one of the five people that bought Mobile Information Server
    This is vaporware. I doubt we'll see this for a very very long time. It's very upsetting if they don't develop for the existing install base of 600 users but I'm not surprised if they don't.

If they do release this for 650 (and not 600) and if the 650 then I WILL upgrade. This would be HUGE as it's a majority of what I use my Treo for. I just hope they do it right.
    I thought that Active Sync didn't support PUSH. Thus, won't this be a major selling point for RIM (especially with the new sever 4.0(?) that will do RT backround sync on all PIM apps I think). Am I wrong on this?
    Hey Guys, I Have A 4 Month Old Treo 180 In Excellent Condition. I Want A New Treo 600/650. Any Good Suggestions.
    If the Exchange integration doesn't push email to the Treo, then Goodlink and Blackberry don't have too much to worry about. The upside is you don't need any additional server software or redirector as required by Good and Blackberry, but true push email is the holy grail which apparently (?) this solution won't provide.
    I have exchange 2003 for my home network (you guys should really check out the microsoft action pack subscription

you need to be incorporated but after that you get access to every MS software solution for only $700 a year.

Anyway, I already use treo for email via the MS OMA solution but active sync would be great, is there any other free solution out there in the interim until the Palm active sync is realised or just stick to OMA?

Cheers,
    dean