1.    #1  
    On the back of the BlackBerry Connect announcement last week, p1 today announced that they have licensed Microsoft's Exchange Server ActiveSync so that the Treo 650 (and 600?) will now be fully compatible with minimal IT implementation requirements and no dedicated server required (I wonder what this means for GoodLink...)

Cheers, W.
    I wonder what this means for Mac users.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58923
    Archie - from what I can tell, this release has no relevance to Mac users, at least in the way I'm guessing you're thinking - EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) is purely for accessing email and calendar information wirelessly, directly from the Exchange server, with no need for middleware such as Good (much like how Blackberries need the BES server - this eliminates that middle server). This has nothing to do with the desktop sync program, ActiveSync (thanks to MS for making different products with the same name).
    I think this thread should go into the Treo --> Software --> Communications simply because it doesn't the mention which Treo's it may or may not work for. Plus there is already a thread there.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I have what's probably a stupid question:

It appears to me (from what I could find), that the Exchange ActiveSync requires Exchange Server 2003, Microsoft Mobile Information Server AND the Exchange ActiveSync Server software all running in the office before any of this will work.

Does anyone have hands-on with any of these ? It seems a setup for huge investment to take advantage of this, but perhaps it comes in two flavors, like the Blackberry redirector (Server .vs Desktop redirection) ?

Any insights ?
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    I have what's probably a stupid question:

It appears to me (from what I could find), that the Exchange ActiveSync requires Exchange Server 2003, Microsoft Mobile Information Server AND the Exchange ActiveSync Server software all running in the office before any of this will work.
    This is correct.

And the inclusion of this licensed protocal on the Treo would be unnecessary for me, it would be taking up system resources on my Treo needlessly AND YET the licensing fees get passed on to me in the cost of the Treo. This makes me... NOT happy. The list of Windows based software that I would be paying for in the release of the Treo 650 is growing ridiculously long.

Let's look at the Mac software that will be included with the coming releases of Palm hardware:

Palm Desktop 4

That's it!

And there is no development cost for this passed on through the purchase price of the units because the software development has already been paid for... by way of all Palm based handhelds sold over the previous 3 years. Who wants to use this aging crappy piece of software?
    Well I for one am completely extatic about this announcement. IT's great news for me.
    Good and RIM are push technology. Microsoft Active Sync, at this time, is a pull technology.
    Does anyone know if this technology assumes VPN access into the organization. Is there a seperate path for authentication?

Outlook Web Access email doesn't require VPN for example, there is some type of seperate authentication I assume, but I don't know how secure it is.
    This could be a blow to both Good and RIM, since now their server software is not needed to access email/calendar from an Exchange Server. The only differences would be push (ActiveSync) vs Pull (Good/RIM) and obviously security (i.e. Good and RIM will say that MS ActiveSync is unsecure to get/maintain customers).
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    On the back of the BlackBerry Connect announcement last week, p1 today announced that they have licensed Microsoft's Exchange Server ActiveSync so that the Treo 650 (and 600?) will now be fully compatible with minimal IT implementation requirements and no dedicated server required (I wonder what this means for GoodLink...)

Cheers, W.
    Where does it say "the Treo 650 (and 600?) will now be fully compatible " - I couldn't find that in a press release. The time between signing an agreement and having it in end-user hands can often be quite a while.

Doesn't software need to be tested? Rolled out? etc?
    KickA$$ news! Can't wait!
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Hmmm...announce the signing of a contract today to develop software for a smartphone that is going to be "announced" in three weeks?

Those PLMO developers are fast!
    Hmmm...PalmOne's PRPRPR-$fluff$ $about$ $this$ $says$ $absolutely$ $nothing$ $about$ $the$ $NEXT$ $TREO$ $having$ $it$.

Perhaps those PLMO developers aren't so fast, just those on the outside who jump to conclusions...
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    Does anyone know if this technology assumes VPN access into the organization. Is there a seperate path for authentication?

Outlook Web Access email doesn't require VPN for example, there is some type of seperate authentication I assume, but I don't know how secure it is.
    It implies VPN if that's what your company requires. For example, my company, I cannot get to OWA without being signed into the VPN or by using a special web access VPN site. If your company provide OWA outside their firewall with some kind of DMZ or ISA server, you'll be good.

Joe
    I am migrating my company over to Exchange 2003 and will have Exchange ActiveSync available for users that want it for their PPC and future Palm OS devices that support it. However, this doesn't come anywhere close to GoodLink's functionality, efficiency or ease of use. Users at the top of the totem pole will continue to demand and be offered GoodLink. Those users on the bottom will be given the option to use Exchange ActiveSync as a freebie solution since I'm moving to Exchange 2003 regardless. It's a nice-to-have feature that I can provide my users, but it's definitely not a replacement for GoodLink or Blackberry.