1. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I am in a quandary. The manager at the local Sprint store has told me that I will get the first 650. I put in my order back in May before we knew much about it. However, after I have read all the threads for the last 4 months about how many times people had to replace their 600's, and the fact that Sprint only provides refurbs versus Best Buy replacing with new, I am not sure what to do. I don't have any relationship with anyone at Best Buy. In fact, the closest Best Buy is 50 miles away (the local store won't open until about Nov 5).

What do you guys suggest? I need the 650 baaaaaaad.
    Try calling Warrantech at 800-541-6014. I used them to warranty my Treo 300 and they ended up sending me a check when the flip broke. They told me to call the 800 # when I get another phone and they will cover it. I'm not sure if you have to buy from an actual store or just a SprintPCS store for Warrantech's purposes, but I'd definitely give them a call and explain the situation. Let me know how it goes, cause I'm probably getting the 650 from SPCS when it comes out!
  3. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Come on, guys. 104 people have looked at this question. Doesn't anybody have any ideas?
    if the local store opens November 5, why not get it there when it eventually becomes available?
  5. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    if the local store opens November 5, why not get it there when it eventually becomes available?
    I have been waiting for months. If you can believe it, I am using an old StarTac. I believe the October 25 date is good. I don't want to wait another two weeks if I don't have to.

Nevertheless, does your comment mean you think Best Buy is better?
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    I have been waiting for months. If you can believe it, I am using an old StarTac. I believe the October 25 date is good. I don't want to wait another two weeks if I don't have to.

Nevertheless, does your comment mean you think Best Buy is better?
    You may want to rethink that Oct 25th date. The T5 was announced today and wont be available until November 3rd. Using the same logic with the T650, disregarding the fact that it is a much harder device to launch, we are probably looking into mid / late November. (which sucks...)
    No I was implying nothing. I would normally only buy from the provider because they suck so bad I want at least what little leverage I get by being able to say "but I bought the damned thing from you." But many people seem to like the deal they get at Best Buy. I have never been in one; in fact I've never even SEEN one.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Well, when I hear people afraid of what they read on discussion boards about problems, I always say one thing. You have to remember that most people don't jump on discussion boards to talk about how much they love something. The majority of people that use them are there to complain about problems they have and to seek help. I wouldn't think that all the problems you see on these boards go for everyone. There's probably 70% more people out there with no problems, like me. My Treo has never had a problem whatsoever.

By the way, I think Best Buy only supplies new units when you buy their replacement plan.

Joe
    It's funny that you mention Best Buy's Service Plan. I purchased one a couple years ago (1 year 8 months) on my AT&T Motorola V60, when I purchased it I was told I would get a new phone no questions asked. Well they have since changed their policy and now they must get sent out to service....That's right folks...No phone for me, I have been without it since Sept. 18th....They fix the phone and send it back, I asked "what am I supposed to do without a phone?", they said...."buy a new one". I talked with the manager and they are allowing me to purchase one of their phones from the store and return it when my Motorola comes back from service. Still had to pay $29 for the new phone activation though...I would go third party on the warranty. They often write you a check for the purchase price.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Food for thought,
    The Treo 650 is being built by a different party than the 180/270/300/600 line.
    HTC has a very good reputation in build quality, and is one of the reasons I've waited until now to upgrade my 270.
    As far as warranty service, I'd go with Sprint's replacement plan and not worry about getting a refurb. I think the new HTC manufactured units will have a much lower failure rate than the older models, plus Sprint is more likely to have a phone in stock for replacement than Best Buy.
    Since the contract will be with Sprint anyway, I think they would be more likely to help out in a bad situation than a 3rd party. Handspring's old 3rd party warranty company was very easy to work with, but they don't cover the new units according to Palm.

Just a word about Best Buy.
    I've had TERRIBLE experiance with thier repair and warranty coverage.
    In fact, I quit buying anything I thought might ever need service, after my last 2 experiances with thier policies. Circuit City has been MUCH easier to deal with for Extended Warranty coverage on big ticket items, but I've no idea about how the handle cell phones today. Just a word of warning, I don't want anyone else to get screwed by best buy.
  11. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    You may want to rethink that Oct 25th date. The T5 was announced today and wont be available until November 3rd. Using the same logic with the T650, disregarding the fact that it is a much harder device to launch, we are probably looking into mid / late November. (which sucks...)
    This is so depressing. I had to wait until May 24 so I could port my number to a new carrier and now still waiting for the 650. The recharge connector on my StarTac is so loose that most of the time it won't charge the battery unless I prop it up just right. I am hanging on by a thread here.