Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. emy_77's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #1  
    Gross things aside, can somebody who had similar experience and miraculously found that their Treo 600 still works after drying etc share their experience on what they did to make that possible?

    I already took everything apart for it to dry (hope I remember how to assemble them back).

    There's a similar thread a few threads down but it doesn't exactly explain in detail how they got it back to work

    Your help is greatly appreciated

    P/S: I don't have insurance

    Here's a picture of my Treo after taking them apart
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    Good luck getting it back together again!
  3. #3  
    good luck on that! you can help me, though. I am trying to open up my Treo to wrap my battery wire to remove a buzzing noise. I have removed the 4 screws but it seems to be somehow attached at the bottom and I can't get it open. Any hints? thx
  4. emy_77's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by robh11
    good luck on that! you can help me, though. I am trying to open up my Treo to wrap my battery wire to remove a buzzing noise. I have removed the 4 screws but it seems to be somehow attached at the bottom and I can't get it open. Any hints? thx
    Use one of the small flat screwdriver, slide it into the side of the Treo at the bottom (where u're finding it hard to open), and crack it open. Believe me, it won't break. I was kinda afraid to do it at first, but then I had no choice, so I braved myself to do it, and it opened OK

    Anyway, I still haven't assembled it. Waiting a few more hours. Anyone have similar experience and succeeded? I think I just want some kind of assurance that it's going to be ok. Or is it that maybe those who had this thing happened to them all have their Treo turn into an expensive paper weight and so don't have a reason to frequent this site anymore. (have to stay positive....)
  5. #5  
    God bless you emy_77 for actually admitting that it went in the toilet and not simple "submerged in water" or "exposed to liquid"!

    You've done exactly the right thing - take it apart (as best you can) and let it dry out. I've often found with liquid damaged phones that the battery is the first defective part and sometimes needs to be replaced. Could be that battery manufacturers have some mechanism to "kill" the battery if it gets wet...?

    But stick with it. If it doesn't work after you put it back together, you may want to try a different battery...if one can be found.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77
    Gross things aside, can somebody who had similar experience and miraculously found that their Treo 600 still works after drying etc share their experience on what they did to make that possible?



    Try drying it out in the microwave....worked for me.















    This is a joke..please do not take it seriously...hope everything works out for your phone.
  7. #7  
    ****ty
  8. #8  
    Next time, I hope you take the proper precautions and provide your Treo with a suitable life-jacket:
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9. ERicJ's Avatar
    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    If it doesn't work after you put it back together, you may want to try a different battery...if one can be found.
    "Better" Treo600 Replacement Battery. I haven't tried it, just googled to find it.

    I recall reading in previous "dropped in toilet" threads that one beneficial thing to do is to rinse the components with/in distilled water. It's the contaminants in regular tap water that foul up electronics.

    ERicJ
  10. #10  
    u don't have insurance but why didn't u just send it back to palm one or your carrier for warranty? insurance isn't everything you know.
  11. emy_77's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #11  
    Thanks ERicJ for ur tip on washing with distilled water. Wish I had known it when it happened. Washed it with plain tap water. It's already been dried. Don't think I'd want to subject it to another round of washing.

    To CHiNNuTS, I thought warranty is for device faults only, not something that happened to it due to our own doing. I might be wrong. Maybe I should just check with PalmOne whether they'd consider this as warranty item. My warranty expires November
  12. #12  
    This is always one of my worst fears. Yikes!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  13. emy_77's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #13  
    I am so happy today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Treo 600 works again!!! I assembled everything back and everything works fine. Phone is OK, PDA functions are OK, memory card is OK, hotsync is OK. Such a relief!! Now, I'm just worried that the parts that were soaked in water will rust with time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14. #14  
    maybe it's a good time to get that warranty.
  15. emy_77's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    maybe it's a good time to get that warranty.
    Surely that is unethical? Anyway, I'm sure they know I have been tempering with it and so made the warranty void. But, I sure would like to have a go at it
  16. #16  
    Too many Guiness in Dublin!!! Same thing happened to me me on a trip to Dublin. I highly recommend NOT using a hair dryer. It melted the case. Please learn from my mistake.
    Pilot 1000 >> PalmIII >> Palm IV >> Samsung I300 >> Kyocera 6035 >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> BB 8700c
  17. #17  
    emy. warranty will cover your phone if it was smashed to pieces. if there is no visual damage to the exterior then there is no charge. if there is visual damage, they will charge u 20 bucks. that's how it works with tmobile. other companies should have something similar..
  18. #18  
    I found this site when I was looking for hope for my treo 750 that was dropped in the toilet. I thought I fried the phone. After the drop, I used a hair dryer. The phone came on for one call and shorted out. Then I got a consistant screen for erasing all data but the phone would not let me chose. Someone told me they heard to put the phone in a ziplock bag of rice. Yes, RICE! Remember the rice in salt shakers. So, I put the phone in rice with battery removed. For the 2 days I would pull the phone out and hope that it would work. Same screen ....erase all data. I began my search for a replacement phone on craigs since ATT would cost $657 plus tax. Today, after 2 1/2 days in the rice, I thought I will try it one more time. This time the palm logo came on and I was prompted to set the phone up. Everything seems to be working. So if you submerge your phone in water and Lord forbid the TOILET, I suggest the following.

    1. remove the battery immediately
    2. dry the phone off
    3. beat the phone against something semi soft like a pillow or your leg to remove the water from both sides. I was amazed how much water came out when I did this.
    4. put the phone in rice or along with silca packs (found in shoe boxes) for 2- 3 days.
    5. Pray
    6. In the future go with a provider that allows for smart phones to be insured. I found that ATT is the ONLY one who does not insure smart phones. I wished I would have done my research before moving to ATT.


    Good Luck

    Lori
  19. #19  
    You know, I want to say that 'in theory' rinsing an electronics device in distilled water after being exposed to tap water (or toliet water) and then placing the device in a desiccator (or an air-tight container with rice/silica packs) should get the phone working as good as new. Like it was mentioned before in this thread, I believe it is the ions present in tap water that cause the phone to malfunction. I think the ions cake onto the electronic components once the liquid has dried and these caked ions prevent current from flowing like it should. The distilled water should dissolve and then flush out these ions, and presumably, not dissolve any of the electronic components.

    Aside from effects due to rust, does anyone know if any commonly used electronic components are actually water soluble?
  20. #20  
    Rinsing in alcohol is another alternative:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions