1.    #1  
    to name the t600 successor t650 implicates rather a facelifting than a real upgrade. the t650 remains an offspring of the 6xx line, thats it.

more about to come with a 7xx line:

with the upcoming release of the next-generation palm OS, cobalt (OS 6.1), we get an operating system that is built for wireless functions.

if the 650 doesnt come with the new OS I'll wait, as the 650 is more of a stopgap that sooner than later will be followed by a real upgrade.

tks! -
    I think from here on out, you'll see more of a series of little upgrades. You'll get faster processor, better camera, hi res, etc. now. Next time you'll get cobalt, wifi, probably still faster processor, better camera.

While I agree it's not the big gain that you got from the 300 to 600, I don't know if you'll see a quantum gain like that for some time if ever again.
    The 650 wont have cobalt. That is definitely certain. So stop getting your hopes up.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  4.    #4  
    or is there a possibility that a treo 650 could be upgraded with cobalt once its out? like upgrading a windows system?!

sorry if it is a dummy question ...
    treo700 is whatever Microsoftsmartphone/pocketPC phone edition is.
    treo650 is build by HTC, and they have far more advance hardware such as Orange C500 and i-mate iJam.

Treo 700 will be something similar to C500 or I-jam, while treo 800 will be something like XDA IV.

Palm is now fully one year behind in technological curve, and they only can make whatever PPC manufacturer willing to make.

here is a picture of C500 variant, and i-Jam next to XDAIII
    http://www.msmobiles.com/articles/ph...hotokina-6.jpg

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3123.html
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Palm is now fully one year behind in technological curve, and they only can make whatever PPC manufacturer willing to make.
    Yet no PPC manufacturer can make one that competes on the same feature set (thumbboard, form factor) that the Treo was a year ago. Seems to me that PPC is fully a year behind the curve.

And HTC seems to not be a PPC manufacturer now that they make Treos. That would make them simply a phone manufacturer.

Of those pictures only the last brick can do e-mail like the Treo. Thus those can't compare on feature set. Last one is interesting, but it looks bricky.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Yet no PPC manufacturer can make one that competes on the same feature set (thumbboard, form factor) that the Treo was a year ago. Seems to me that PPC is fully a year behind the curve.

And HTC seems to not be a PPC manufacturer now that they make Treos. That would make them simply a phone manufacturer.

Of those pictures only the last brick can do e-mail like the Treo. Thus those can't compare on feature set. Last one is interesting, but it looks bricky.
    Talk about bricky...have you seen the HP PDA/phone???? It's HUGE!!!! Why would *anyone* want to carry that contraption around or hold it up to their face? How embarrassing.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum
    Talk about bricky...have you seen the HP PDA/phone???? It's HUGE!!!! Why would *anyone* want to carry that contraption around or hold it up to their face? How embarrassing.
    Thanks for pointing that out!! I love ppc and have an axim x30 that i'm not getting rid of but let's hear it for FORM FACTOR. There's nothing out there with comparable features that can really compete with the form factor of the treo. Call me vain but it's important to me. We're spending a lot of money on these things. Don't make them look like the remote control to an old zenith.
    why do you need to hold it up to your face? That's what BT headsets are for. IMO, Palm1 is only ahead in form factor.
    I don't have a BT headset, but if I get a call, I don't know if I'd have enough time to get it in my ear properly. Even so, sometimes, I don't want to look like I'm talking to myself. People think I'm crazy enough as it is.
  11.    #11  
    AGAIN: will it be possible to upgrade the 650 with cobalt once available?
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    AGAIN: will it be possible to upgrade the 650 with cobalt once available?
    I don't think anyone knows this for sure, but if you take a poll on this board, 98% of people would say no. Treos (and if you go furtherback Handspring's Visors) have traditionally not been upgradable to new OS, with the exception of minor patches.
    and I also think that people use the 'well the form factor doesn't matter since all you have to do is use [insert user-specific technology here -- either BT headset or earbud], and thus the brick-like size won't matter' argument. I say that's BS, since you won't ALWAYS have the BT or earbud with you and you'll have to hold the brick to your ear a great deal of time. To depend on the earbud or BT as a defense for the form factor is pointless to me. As an example, how many people do you see carrying both a phone Blackberry and ALSO a cell phone? I see that all the time, and I ask them - 'hey, since your BB works as a phone, why do you also have that cell phone?', and the common answer is 'I can't stand the BB as a phone, so I carry around this flip phone also'. Once I show them the Treo, the response is usually 'man I wish I had that, and I could get rid of my two-device scene'.
    So - form factor does indeed matter, and an earbud or BT haedset won't always be around to use.
    Yeah, everyone has to decide what's more important, then pick the device:
    Voice v. Data
    Keypad v. width (size)
    Bluetooth+another gadget to charge v. wire handsfree
    One-device compromise v. 2 device optimisation
    Good batt v. lightweight

But it has to be reliable, and the phone quality has to be decent. If your Tréo 600 sounds crap, make sure you have the latest OS upgrade (firmware 3.05)