Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After my 4th Treo 600, and sprint 100% refusing to give me a NEW replacement (Always refurb, always a new problem), I started looking into Sprint Bluetooth enabled phones, and looking into getting a Tungsten T5.. Which can more easily be returned at a local store when it has an issue, and you don't have the hassle of agreements, and well, Sprint.

I noticed that basically, Sprint has crap for Bluetooth enabled phones, and any phone that does have Bluetooth, can't get unlimited Vision packs, because they fear people will use them as modems for unlimited time. It's stated very clearly in their "Advantage" Agreement:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/popAAFull.html

Sprint PCS Vision Packs are also not available with Bluetooth Vision capable Sprint PCS Phones used as a modem in connection with other devices. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse.

Also in their legal terms:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/in...rmsPrivacy.jsp

Unlimited PCS Vision plans/options are only available with phones or PCS smart phones where the device is not being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g., computers, PDAs, etc.) through use of connection kits or other phone-to-computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless technology. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse.

ANyway, its something to think about.. Upgrade to Treo ACE (Assuming it really has bluetooth), lose the ability to get more than a 3MB data package. I send that much in Snappermail in a month.
    The 650 has bluetooth but it will not be able to hook up to your laptop as an internet connection, so I would assume Sprint keeps the same pricing structure.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The 650 has bluetooth but it will not be able to hook up to your laptop as an internet connection, so I would assume Sprint keeps the same pricing structure.
    Not by default.. but I think using the same type of software as PDAnet, it should be trivial to use the Treo as a proxy for data services.. Although, I don't know what Sprint is thinking.. I'd rather shoot myself than access anything online via my Treo. It's bad enough using just the Treo to access anything. Although, I noticed insane differences between the speeds at JFK airport and LAX. NYC data coverage and throughput seems to be much better than most places.
    I pity the customer service representative that tells me I have to change my phone plan because I bought a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I pity the customer service representative that tells me I have to change my phone plan because I bought a new phone.
    Ya no doubt.

Did any one notice if they say they can change the terms of the agreement when they want? If they change it it is null and void as far as I can tell. I am not giving up my free unlimited vision because I change phones, Bluetooth or not.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Agreed. Unlimited data service is too important and definitely not worth gaining Bluetooth that will not even connect as a wireless modem! If that is the case, I'll stick with my T600 (although I'm planning on getting the T650 if there isn't a data service problem).
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    somewhere around here the sprint guy who tested the 650 insinuated that Sprint will offer the $45 tether plan, which means you can use the bluetooth all you want unlimited data with a notebook, etc.... increase in price, but you can now use sprint's data with any device you have...
    i read it a little better and I dont think there is anything to worry about.

Sprint PCS Vision Packs are also not available with Bluetooth Vision capable Sprint PCS Phones used as a modem in connection with other devices
    This doesnt mean I cant have Bluetooth on my phone. It means I cant use it as a modem. Like that is a surprise. Why do you think they disabled the profile.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    As far as I can tell, all that the Sprint TOS statement above is saying is that using bluetooth in such a way is prohibited, not that they won't allow you to have a normal vision plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    AMEN! It won't be pretty if they try that - besides, that would be grounds for bolting from SPrint WITHOUT the outrageous contract tremination penalties - and I'd expect a heatlhy exodus of high end users (where's that Blackberry T7100 anyway?)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I don't see why it would be any different than a connection kit. I have one (connection kit) presently and use it. It is painfully slow most of the time and is very unreliable. I talked to a CSR about it (awhile back). She said as long as I am not abusive about it, it would not be a problem.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I'm willing to bet Sprint will disable the Dial-up Networking (DUN) profile on the 650. That way you can't use a PDA or laptop to go online. I don't see anything wrong with that personally. I know unlimited it unlimited, but they have to keep it reasonable.

The prices are high, but I like how AT&T does it. $25 for unlimited data from the phone, $50 from a PDA and $80 from a laptop.

Joe
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    bottom line for me is that if they disable DUN and don't offer a plan to enable use of the device as a wireless modem, then I won't buy one... That will force me to go to another vendor who might or quite possibly another device and vendor that will.... I'm still counting on the MDAIII/CU928/PC6600/HTC pocket pc phone to be a viable (or better) alternative... wifi and bluetooth are included....
    I have a Treo 600 and Bluetooth T608 on one plan. Both phones have unlimited vision. I use the 608 for internet access now, and it is very nice without the wires and PDAnet. Hopefully with the right combination, one can continue to add phones to a plan, drop others and never notice a disruption in service. I would prefer one device, but with BT it is almost painless.
    Sprint has not charged extra over the last 12 months, and I have tried to be conservative on the vision usage. I love Bluetooth, I love my Treo. I hope the next unit is not crippled.
    I may be misunderstaning this. I currently use my T3 to access a bluetooth dongle on my PC which then connects to the internet for surfing in my home, since there up to now has been no WiFi support for the T3. I was under the impression that I would be able to do the same thing with the Ace; that is connect using bluetooth to my PC to surf the web at home, rather than going thru the PCS system. Is this correct? Thanks for any help in clarifying this issue.
    I wouldn't panic. This seems to be the same terms of service under which they sell Vision now. If you look at your contract carefully, you will see the same language for Vision presently. In theory, it is not available for modem service even with the 600, but they sell unlimited vision to you anyway. I cannot imagine they will do it differently with the 650--why would they? A lot of people will still prefer to use it as a modem hard wired rather than use Bluetooth, if only to save power, especially when out and about.
    Hey Netmask - Why would you post a topic with a statement for a title that you can't back up? Did you even read the quotes that you posted? It doesn't say you can't use unlimited vision with a Bluetooth phone.

I suggest you edit your topic title, unless spreading unfound rumours was your intention!

Quote Originally Posted by netmask
    I noticed that basically, Sprint has crap for Bluetooth enabled phones, and any phone that does have Bluetooth, can't get unlimited Vision packs...

It's stated very clearly in their "Advantage" Agreement:

Sprint PCS Vision Packs are also not available with Bluetooth Vision capable Sprint PCS Phones used as a modem in connection with other devices. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrudwin
    I may be misunderstaning this. I currently use my T3 to access a bluetooth dongle on my PC which then connects to the internet for surfing in my home, since there up to now has been no WiFi support for the T3. I was under the impression that I would be able to do the same thing with the Ace; that is connect using bluetooth to my PC to surf the web at home, rather than going thru the PCS system. Is this correct? Thanks for any help in clarifying this issue.
    I had asked this in another thread calling it "reverse tethering." I was told by one person that no one would ever want to do this and I should surf with my laptop instead. While that's obviously not a solution, I never got any definitive answer whether you would be able to do this on the Ace. To me, this is the only thing that BT would be useful for.
    Quote Originally Posted by shady
    Hey Netmask - Why would you post a topic with a statement for a title that you can't back up? Did you even read the quotes that you posted? It doesn't say you can't use unlimited vision with a Bluetooth phone.

I suggest you edit your topic title, unless spreading unfound rumours was your intention!
    agreed. the title is completely misleading
    Quote Originally Posted by esabypda
    I have a Treo 600 and Bluetooth T608 on one plan. Both phones have unlimited vision. I use the 608 for internet access now, and it is very nice without the wires and PDAnet. Hopefully with the right combination, one can continue to add phones to a plan, drop others and never notice a disruption in service. I would prefer one device, but with BT it is almost painless.
    Sprint has not charged extra over the last 12 months, and I have tried to be conservative on the vision usage. I love Bluetooth, I love my Treo. I hope the next unit is not crippled.
    I had the same setup, but even though I have unlimted vision, I still get monthly charges for the t608 vision use.

So I have to call each month and get a credit. A hassle.

THe funny thing is when I took the t608 off, and put on another "normal" sprint phone, I still get vision charges on it. Again, call and get a credit.

This is some deep problem in the bowels of thier system.

I dare not change it...last time I did, they screwed up my plan, and billed me over $1,000. I got it fixed, but I could never go back to my original plan.

If I have any issue with swapping my 600 for my 650 (i.e. more cost), I will be gone. T-mobile doesn't seem that bad, and the deal with the hotspots might end up saving me money.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast