Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Given how slow even Sprint's data network is, $15 is already a stretch in terms of what it's worth. I would never pay $45 a month unless I get DSL speed and 100% coverage even underground on subways. Since that won't happen, I won't be moving to any service which charges more for unlimited data. No $15 Vision for T650 means no T650 for me. Hopefully Sprint and Palm will work out some solution around this.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    $15 for net access on the Treo will be available and well worth it for many. $45 is for using it with another device such as a laptop. You will not pay the $15 if you pay $45.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    AMEN! It won't be pretty if they try that - besides, that would be grounds for bolting from SPrint WITHOUT the outrageous contract tremination penalties - and I'd expect a heatlhy exodus of high end users (where's that Blackberry T7100 anyway?)
    I'm with you... I'd be gone in a heartbeat
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    "Reverse tethering" does not require DUN profile. If it did, my Sony UX40 would not be able to connect to my cable connection via my pc.

bmac, I am trying to answer all your questions, yet you take unimportant snippets of my response to quote. Are my responses helpful to you or not? I can save time and energy by ignoring your posts.
    Actually, DUN is most certainly the needed profile, but as I stated it's based on the serial profile. Once you have the serial profile, you can do about anything (not voice gateway stuff). DUN can be done across the serial connection. Think about what I say before you claim I'm wrong please.
    Quote Originally Posted by netmask
    After my 4th Treo 600, and sprint 100% refusing to give me a NEW replacement (Always refurb, always a new problem), I started looking into Sprint Bluetooth enabled phones, and looking into getting a Tungsten T5.. Which can more easily be returned at a local store when it has an issue, and you don't have the hassle of agreements, and well, Sprint.

I noticed that basically, Sprint has crap for Bluetooth enabled phones, and any phone that does have Bluetooth, can't get unlimited Vision packs, because they fear people will use them as modems for unlimited time. It's stated very clearly in their "Advantage" Agreement:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/popAAFull.html

Sprint PCS Vision Packs are also not available with Bluetooth Vision capable Sprint PCS Phones used as a modem in connection with other devices. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse.

Also in their legal terms:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/in...rmsPrivacy.jsp

Unlimited PCS Vision plans/options are only available with phones or PCS smart phones where the device is not being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g., computers, PDAs, etc.) through use of connection kits or other phone-to-computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless technology. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse.

ANyway, its something to think about.. Upgrade to Treo ACE (Assuming it really has bluetooth), lose the ability to get more than a 3MB data package. I send that much in Snappermail in a month.

PDANET for the modem in your life.. http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/
    Quote Originally Posted by temfate
    Actually, DUN is most certainly the needed profile, but as I stated it's based on the serial profile. Once you have the serial profile, you can do about anything (not voice gateway stuff). DUN can be done across the serial connection. Think about what I say before you claim I'm wrong please.
    Here we go again

I have a Sony UX40 that I "reverse tether" to my pc. It DOES NOT HAVE the DUN profile yet it works. Please explain. I eagerly anticipate your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    Here we go again

I have a Sony UX40 that I "reverse tether" to my pc. It DOES NOT HAVE the DUN profile yet it works. Please explain. I eagerly anticipate your response.
    Edited: Was a little harsh, sorry...

The serial profile is the basis for ALL data communications protocols. Your UX40 uses this for your reverse tether connections (I'm guessing, maybe they call it something else, but trust me, it IS a serial profile). The DUN or Dial-Up-Networking profile is nothing more than an extension of the serial profile. It can be implemented via the serial profile, or sometimes is named the DUN profile on the device. Either way ITS THE SAME THING! You really need to research your own questions rather than sit back expecting answers to be given to you. Researching for yourself is the key to knowledge.

To further explain this, a modem connection was originally a "serial connection". But due to Microsoft deciding they needed to re-invent the wheel, they started calling it the "Dial up Networking" connection. Thus the name change.

All that is used to dial a modem from the serial profile is a few AT commands. These AT commands are nothing special, and each modem and cell phone out there responds to a set of them. AT commands were originally created by Hayes when they created the first modems.

The other main profiles are OBEX, which is object exchange; Voice gateway, which transfers voice connections; and a few other misc PIM sync'ing profiles.
    Last edited by temfate; 10/09/2004 at 05:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    wow
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Temfate,
    I'm sure your answer is correct. But that is only half of any answer. You should not consider a job where teaching is part of the job profile. In education there are no stupid questions only bad answers.
    The question to you was worded nicely. In paraphrase, “... I (DaMan) reverse tether and don’t see a DUN profile. Could you please explain this?” With emphasis on Please.
    Your answer in paraphrase “Learn to read… maybe you need to go back to school…(insert tech answer here)… it’s the same *&#@! Thing… you realy need to research… you are incompetent… (insert tech answer that explains what DaMan wanted to know)”
    It is answers like this that cause people to not want to learn. I’m sure DaMan is glad to have the answer. But because of the negative way that he got it he is not likely to ask again. Thus you have created the vary situation that you gets you so upset, people not knowing what you know.
    With no desire to insight you to farther flames may I suggest that you try to answer DaMan with out assuming that he should know what you know. Neither he nor I did and we are grateful to learn. But don’t like to learn from teachers that have such a bad attitude about teaching.
    Actually he was not nice about it. The icon is a sarcastic modifier that implies looking down upon the poster. He used this when he replied about my statement. Thus I answered the way I did. Sorry to the innocent bystanders!

Besides, with a name like "DaMan", we have to stick it to him...
    Last edited by temfate; 10/09/2004 at 05:14 PM.
    Apology accepted
    I thought that emoticon was "confused". Eyes rolled up and crocked smile = "I just don't get it..." I also noted that you asked him to double check your first answer before responding. This is a sign of knowing how to teach, anticipating what comes next. You might have just gone ahead at that point and spelled it out. Even if DaMan didn't appreciate it i and many others would have. Thanks again.
    I am familiar with BT 1.1 profiles, but I really don't feel like wasting any more time arguing this moot point. Thanks for taking time to make yourself look like a pompous, all-knowing ***. The original post is below for those who didn't get a chance to read the excellent response from temfate:

Learn to READ my post before you decide you don't understand it, and if you did read it, maybe you need to go back to school.

The serial profile is the basis for ALL data communications protocols. Your POS, the UX40 uses this for your reverse tether connections (I'm guessing, maybe they call it something else, but trust me, it IS a serial profile). The DUN or Dial-Up-Networking profile is nothing more than an extension of the serial profile. It can be implemented via the serial profile, or sometimes is named the DUN profile on the device. Either way ITS THE SAME DAMN THING! You really need to research your own questions rather than sit back proving your imcompetence.

To further explain this, a modem connection was originally a "serial connection". But due to Microsoft decided they needed to re-invent the wheel, they started calling it the "Dial up Networking" connection. Thus the name change.
    You know, you proved the only point important here. I changed my post to not upset others due to your mistake. I'm sorry if you don't understand the issue at hand. I'll leave you be.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123