Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I had asked this in another thread calling it "reverse tethering." I was told by one person that no one would ever want to do this and I should surf with my laptop instead. While that's obviously not a solution, I never got any definitive answer whether you would be able to do this on the Ace. To me, this is the only thing that BT would be useful for.
    I thought I did respond, but maybe it was really late...

I have used "reverse tethering" with a Sony UX40/50. This is the clam shell OS5 device with bluetooth built-in. The only profile you need to make this work is the serial one (the same one that's needed for GPS and DUN). I don't see why this would not work with the Treo.
    You can reverse tether right now on the T600. Softick makes software for that, but you still have to have a wire connected to the unit. Pretty useless if you ask me.

Lose the wire, and now I can see that being somewhat attractive...
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    You can reverse tether right now on the T600. Softick makes software for that, but you still have to have a wire connected to the unit. Pretty useless if you ask me.

Lose the wire, and now I can see that being somewhat attractive...
    Well, that's where bluetooth comes into play and also why this is being discussed at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    (where's that Blackberry T7100 anyway?)
    It's at http://www.t-mobile.com/products/default.asp?class=pda and they have an under-the-counter non=working model at the local mall store.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by shady
    Hey Netmask - Why would you post a topic with a statement for a title that you can't back up? Did you even read the quotes that you posted? It doesn't say you can't use unlimited vision with a Bluetooth phone.

I suggest you edit your topic title, unless spreading unfound rumours was your intention!
    http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...=print&sid=304

The original information came about the Sony Ericsson T608, as seen in the above URL:

"This benefit is expected to be seen first for Sprint customers with Bluetooth compatible headsets for convenient wireless use and in handsfree technology being deployed by the automobile industry and other after-market providers. PCS Vision is available for $15 per month and gives the T608 3MB of data usage. Unlimited PCS Vision plans are not available for this handset."

Perhaps that's not true.. but that is from the PRPRPR $person$ $AT$ $sprint$.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    agreed. the title is completely misleading
    No it isn't.

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...=print&sid=304

Why would it be any different for the Treo 650 if the T608 can't have unlimited?

(I don't own a T608, and at a quick glance, sprint doesn't have them on their website anymore, so I can't even test to see what sort of plan one can get)
    It is possible, in a monument to a absolute stupidity, that they will not sell unlimited Vision to the T650, but instead sell that $45 package, whatever that is all about. Sprint may be so terrified of having people use this as a modem that they establsh a blanket policy. I find that extremely hard to believe, but then again a lot of the crap in which Sprint engages in hard to believe. It's possible....
    Ok, this needs to STOP RIGHT NOW! I HAVE a T608. I HAVE unlimited vision. It was a rumor on sprintpcsinfo's website only, and it never seems to have come to reality. I don't know of a single person who bought a T608 and got limited to 3mb, except for 1 person here at this forum who claimed he was charged for it.

They make you sign NOTHING to buy this phone, no contract changes whatsoever. Thus the original unlimited vision still applies. If they TRY to change the plan's terms on you, you can get out of the termination fee.

The only way they will care is IF you abuse it, and if you do you DESERVE to get caught... It IS a violation of their TOS to tether it to a computer, wirelessly or by cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by temfate
    Ok, this needs to STOP RIGHT NOW! I HAVE a T608. I HAVE unlimited vision. It was a rumor on sprintpcsinfo's website only, and it never seems to have come to reality. I don't know of a single person who bought a T608 and got limited to 3mb, except for 1 person here at this forum who claimed he was charged for it.

They make you sign NOTHING to buy this phone, no contract changes whatsoever. Thus the original unlimited vision still applies. If they TRY to change the plan's terms on you, you can get out of the termination fee.

The only way they will care is IF you abuse it, and if you do you DESERVE to get caught... It IS a violation of their TOS to tether it to a computer, wirelessly or by cable.

Besides myself, I know several people who were charged fro Vision access with their T608, even though they have unlimted vision.

Who knows what Sprint will do. They have such a shyte-ridden order-entry and provisioning system, we're damn lucky we can actually make phone calls and get a monthly bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by temfate
    ... It IS a violation of their TOS to tether it to a computer, wirelessly or by cable. ...
    YOu must know your own phone so you're probably right. But you know what else has to stop? This treatment of the so-called TOS (it's just a contract) as if it is some criminal code! This is a mere contract, with parties on both sides obligated to observe the agreed terms. Violation of a contract is not a criminal matter, and in many cases it's not a matter at all, unless it is material to the agreemenet. Even if a contract term is violated, there can never be a penalty, it has to be a remedy that fulfills the contract terms, not a punitive measure. And, finally, contract terms are frequently waived, and if they are waived, they become null and void. It's been literally years and years now that Sprint has tolerated and condoned using cell phones as modems, and I don't think it's farfetched to believe that in many if not all cases they have therefore waived their rights. Especialy since it is hard to imagine how they are being harmed beyond not being able to sell something that the phone already accomplishes. So I don't really believe anybody "deserves" to get "caught" as if they robbed a bank. They're just using their phones in a way they were designed, and in many cases advertised, to do, and that's that, in my opinion at least.
    if i have unlimited vision right now, does that mean i should be able to access the internet via vision through a cable (from phone to computer) for free? it seems to me a while ago i tried that for several hours and got a bill for several dollars? i know this may be a dumb question, but any advice /explination would be appreciated. like many others here, i was about to buy a 600, now i am impatiently waiting for the 650!

thanks
    I'm not sure how you managed that. If you simply dialled an ISP you might get charged, or at least have minutes applied to the calls, but if you really used vision, dialling #777, then your connection would have been indistinguishable from your phone's browser, like Blazer. I'm interested in how you went about doing it.
    With the T600 the only way I know of doing it is with PDANet, but if you do use PDANet, your time will come out of your Vision plan, and if it is unlimited, you'll pay no more than you do for Blazer--zilch.
    Sorry, I meant the it's a violation of the TOS, as in, they have grounds to impose a re-course if you cause them to... To date they only go after people who leave their computer connected all day and night eating bandwith to use the Kazaa network... People that get billed for connections to #777 should complain if you have unlimited vision.

The only way they know the difference is average packet size. The phone's browser (even on Palm devices, but NOT PPC's!) has a very small packet size (PPC's it's greater, thus the $15 fee sprint has). However computer's connected via tether have a very LARGE packet size. They now check for this, and although they don't really care, if you abuse it (Kazaa for days at a time) you'll be sorry....
    I suppose we could change packet size; but more importantly why would somebody stay connected day and night to Kazaa VIA A TREO???? That's really bizarre and terribly hard to believe, but I suppose it happens...what's that all about???!?!!?!
    From what I understand it was a group of people who cancelled the ISP since the 3G SprintPCS network gave them a semi-high speed connection... They then left their main computer hooked up... It wasn't on a Treo, just a plain old 3rd gen CDMA phone... But it made Sprint execs get worried...
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I have been told that they realize the want and need for BT and that's why they now have a $45 tethering plan. You can buy it for your T608 now according to the rep that I work with.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    when i got slammed with that bill i may have been using sprints connection software, it was also right after 3g was started...i may not have been using #777 for the number. they reversed the charges, but i have been scared to use it since. i will give it another shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    Well, that's where bluetooth comes into play and also why this is being discussed at all.
    Actually, very few people seem to be discussing reverse tethering as a reason for bluetooth. Lots of headsets, syncing, gps, tethering type access, but not much otherwise. That's why I've been bringing up whether there is some kind reverse tethering profile that's different from the tethering profile that carriers are likely to try to block or disallow. In my opinion, carriers shouldn't come into play on reverse tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Actually, very few people seem to be discussing reverse tethering as a reason for bluetooth. Lots of headsets, syncing, gps, tethering type access, but not much otherwise. That's why I've been bringing up whether there is some kind reverse tethering profile that's different from the tethering profile that carriers are likely to try to block or disallow. In my opinion, carriers shouldn't come into play on reverse tethering.
    Reverse tethering as you put it require the dial up networking profile, but it connects BACKWARDS. Instead of the computer initating the connection, the phone does and pulls from the computers lan connection. It's still the DUN profile which is once again based on the serial profile. It all comes down to if they crippled it or not. I firmly believe they wouldn't cripple it, and everything will end up working. If they did cripple it, I'll almost promise you a hack will be out it "re-hack" it...
    "Reverse tethering" does not require DUN profile. If it did, my Sony UX40 would not be able to connect to my cable connection via my pc.

bmac, I am trying to answer all your questions, yet you take unimportant snippets of my response to quote. Are my responses helpful to you or not? I can save time and energy by ignoring your posts.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast