Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by koros
    ...well, ask him about WIFI card compatibility; better yet !, try one !!!
    =P
    ...then run away and post back...
    I think for any wifi card to work, you'd have to have drivers. While it could come with drivers, one would think that they'd have to be downloaded so that they don't take up space for people that don't own the wifi card.
    Well I just saw it! He wouldn't let me touch it. Oddly it was a sliver case NOT the gunmetal blue one posted earlier. I had him shpw me some stuff. Camera is still vga (you were right SH!) but the pics look great on the phone itself. OS was 5.4.5 garnet. I asked him to open foxnews.com in blazer. Text rendered immediately and graphics looked GREAT. I am so jealous of that dude. Bummed I didn't get to play with it. The t.v. app is a debug utility. Sh!t just remebered I forgot to check the memory. I'll try to call him and see if he'll tell me.
    Memory appears to be the same. Battery cover looks very solid. Preferences panel has completely new design. No drop down, it's all on one page.
    Good work Dutch, sucks about the memory though.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I cannot express how AWESOME that screen looks. Pics do NOT do it justice.
    Is it just me or does it seem that P1 has handed out a handful of prototypes? Some are blue, some are grey, some have large mem, some small, etc. What is going around is probably only "close" to what the finished product will be. That could be why the things are in hands but not availible...
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    Side by side pics of the t 600 and 650 from a few angles would be great.
    Here you go...

http://blog.treonauts.com/2004/08/treo_650_600_si.html

Cheers, W.
    Dafydd - I know there have ben a bunch of 650's floating around (or at least 650's of different colors), but as far as I know each one seen so far only has 32mb of ram. If you know of any 650's with more than 32mb ram, please let us know.

In my opinion, limiting this device to 32mb of ram, not the lack of WiFi support, is the biggest mistake palmOne is making. How much more could it have cost to include a 64mb memory chip instead of 32mb?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty4
    In my opinion, limiting this device to 32mb of ram, not the lack of WiFi support, is the biggest mistake palmOne is making. How much more could it have cost to include a 64mb memory chip instead of 32mb?
    For all my complaining about lack of wifi on these boards, I'm going to have to agree. I don't believe it's going to have 32 until I see an official Palm press release.
    You are absolutely right. I have not seen anything indicating more than 32m. Limiting to that would be a huge mistake. It would be insulting to the type of people that get these toys. Some “previews” did not mention ram size.
    My point was that I think we have only seen pre-production models. The 650 is nothing more than an updated 600. So it stands to reason that the test models are nothing more than modified 600’s. Hence the 32m. Did some one say they got their hands on one that had a low res camera? I thought so. If there was a preview with low res it would be more evidence of pre-production. Locking the Bluetooth could be nothing more than something an engineer did to one working model, for some testing, or at the request of Sprint (feasibility and reaction test). It may not have anything to do with the release version.
    My opinion is that the only pre-production models that would get out would be ones that "worked". That does not mean they are complete, just that they work. So there is still hope for other features and better specs. There is nothing like a surprise added feature to increase hype on release day.
    Also, I think the "leaked" info and pre-production previews are intentional, premeditated, and contrived. It is a way to create "Hype". The person that said "Sprint is rethinking how they preview products to venders is part of the spin. It tells everyone that they are privy to special info that they should not have. And nothing gets around the net like a secret.
    The specs we keep hearing about are speculations, and not specifications.
    Final note: No company builds this much hype and then loses it to bad timing. The release should be right around the corner. It would be interesting to note just how much hype was out before the 600 releas…

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty4
    Dafydd - I know there have ben a bunch of 650's floating around (or at least 650's of different colors), but as far as I know each one seen so far only has 32mb of ram. If you know of any 650's with more than 32mb ram, please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    My point was that I think we have only seen pre-production models. The 650 is nothing more than an updated 600. So it stands to reason that the test models are nothing more than modified 600’s. Hence the 32m.
    Can anyone explain why it has taken more than a year to produce an 'updated 600'?

If things have been messed up by Palm splitting into PalmOne and PalmSource, and PalmOne buying Handspring, does this mean that from now on we should see much more frequent and significant updates, ie. Treo 650 in Nov/Dec, followed by wifi Treo 700 early/mid 2005?

Wishful thinking I suspect. But seriously how do they expect to keep up with companies that are churning out several new models each year, when it's taken them MORE than a year to produce what many consider to be a minor update?
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    Can anyone explain why it has taken more than a year to produce an 'updated 600'?
    Do this really matter? Does the why of any of this have any bearing on anything?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Do this really matter? Does the why of any of this have any bearing on anything?
    What?
    who cares why they took a year to "update" the treo? What does that matter? It's all supposition anyway. The 650 will be out shortly. What difference does it make why they did it the way they did?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    It takes a long time to merge two companies (and two different corporate cultures) and have them working productivly. There a LOT of painful details that have to get worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    who cares why they took a year to "update" the treo? What does that matter? It's all supposition anyway. The 650 will be out shortly. What difference does it make why they did it the way they did?
    It matters to me because one key factor that persuaded me to buy the Treo 600 was that I could add bluetooth functionality in the near future. A year later that still hasn't happened, unless I get the 'soon to be available' new model.

Things have moved on, and despite being pi$$sed off at not having had bluetooth for the past year, I can now see great value in features such as wifi. It seems very likely that not only will the Treo 650 not have wifi, but it probably won't even work with the wifi card.

I'm very reluctant to make the same mistake twice, and if PalmOne are going to continue to be a year or two behind then I doubt I will stick with the Treo.

On the otherhand, if PalmOne are just starting to get themselves organised, and the Treo 650 is just the beginning of a series of progressively more innovative new products then I might stick around and see what happens. I might even consider putting up with the wifi-less 650 while I wait for the next model. But I don't want to wait another year - because by then the lack of wifi will have driven me nuts and I'll be wanting the next thing by the time everyone is waiting for the new wifi model.

So, in short, if nothing much has happened over the past year because they've been busy reorganising the company, then fine, and I look forward to starting to reap the fruits. If on the otherhand they continue being behind the times and slow to release new models then I'll be looking elsewhere.
    because the 600 was making money and had no real competition?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    ...A year later that still hasn't happened,
    unless I get the 'soon to be available' ...
    Things have moved on, ...I'm very reluctant ... continue to be a year or two behind ... I doubt I will stick with the Treo....On the otherhand, ... I might stick around and see what happens...I don't want to wait another year - ...If on other hand they continue being behind the times and slow to release new models then I'll be looking elsewhere.
    Great idea. After all the only real power or presure the consumer has is were and when they spend. You are vary much not alone in feeling this way. The more people that act on those feelings the more powerful the message to P1. I understand the delema. The new updated Treo is on the horizon, but the functionality you want is availible elswhere today. I think what is holding most Treo consumers back from abandening the P1 boat is that we like the design. It is a good fit for us. We just want the toys that the other kids play with too.

As for a year for a new model. That seems about right to me. The Treo 600 is dificult for the local BestBuy to keep in stock. They are selling about as fast as they come in. If I controled P1 I would keep selling a good thing as long as I could. And I would never shoot myself in the foot by putting out the better unit while production, stock on hand, and demand for the current model was high. You can lose your shirt that way. Some people that buy the 600 will upgrade to the 650, so they sell to those people twice...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12