1.    #1  
    As some of you may know I recently bought a Clie TH-55 which comes with built-in WiFi and Bluetooth as well as a gorgeous 480x320 screen to 'play with the future'...

Well after doing this for a while I decided to put Photoshop to the test and develop a reference design for a future Treo 700 (which hopefully will be the next release after the 650)...

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Cheers, W.
    Fairly good stuff. I wonder how the 5-way (and other buttons) would be designed to work with a screen directly underneath it (as shown in TreoZen3.jpg). I don't doubt it's possible, I just think it would leave little room for guts of the device.

I hope your landscape mode can be flipped so that the 5-way button is on the right for those of us who are right-handed.
    That is a sick looking Treo right there... makes me wish I had a million dollars to build my own right now! hehe. Maybe some day you'll get your treo, but I would like to see palm1 get a wifi/bluetooth handheld first before they throw in a radio
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Fairly good stuff. I wonder how the 5-way (and other buttons) would be designed to work with a screen directly underneath it (as shown in TreoZen3.jpg). I don't doubt it's possible, I just think it would leave little room for guts of the device.

I hope your landscape mode can be flipped so that the 5-way button is on the right for those of us who are right-handed.
    Perhaps a solution would be to design 3-way view modes with Portrait + Landscape Right + Landscape Left... I hadn't thought of that...

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    That is a sick looking Treo right there... makes me wish I had a million dollars to build my own right now! hehe. Maybe some day you'll get your treo, but I would like to see palm1 get a wifi/bluetooth handheld first before they throw in a radio
    And me!!! I can tell you that I was so excited at the PalmSource Conference and talking to the people from Samsung, GSPda, PiTech and Qool that I can't think of anything better right now than the thought of licensing the PalmOS and go build my own Treo baby

I reckon that we'd _only_ need between $5 to $10 million to get started and you can always make your contribution via PayPal

Cheers, W.
    Have you noticed that Treo700.com is taken and owned by Palm1? very strange if you ask me Better copywrite your design!
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Have you noticed that Treo700.com is taken and owned by Palm1? very strange if you ask me Better copywrite your design!
    Nice FireFox logo. Glad to see people using it and spreading the word.

Many, many people have pointed out which URLs are owned by Palm on this thread. I think there are at least 6 threads making mention to it.
    i wish you were the one making palmone`s designs, wanderman... this is what we are waiting for... innovation. please send in your designs to p1... i think they need a little assistance..

great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Nice FireFox logo. Glad to see people using it and spreading the word.
    Check out Get FireFox. They are going to try for 10,000 users in 10 days.. but there are only 3 days left and they are far behind where they want to be.

Do everyone a favor! Spread FireFox!!!!

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    I've been using Mozilla since version .91, which was about 3 or so years ago. To bring this slightly back on the Treo topic, I'm hoping for a Minimo version that works for the Palm OS.

As for this design, I think it's likely where the Treo will be going, but it takes some time to get there. I hope your design allows for a powerful IR so that it can be used as a universal remote control.
    sorry about the diversion from topic, but a "computer guy" recently told me that mozilla is for mac pcs. I kinda doubt that.
    I have a dell pc with windows 2000. 500mhz processor. I hate all the viruses riddled into windows ie. is mozilla any safer? is it a better user experience than ie? more intuitive? thanks for any feedback. im seriously considering switching. again, sorry for going off topic here.
    Oh yeah. Though use Firefox, not Mozilla. The link is here.

Back on topic, I find this design unlikely as PalmOne has decided to drop the slider in the T5.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde
    I find this design unlikely as PalmOne has decided to drop the slider in the T5.
    Yes, I agree, it is surprising that they dropped the slider on the T5 but unless there was a general 'fault' with it I don't see why they could not reintroduce it with later models. I have not yet had the opportunity to test a T3 but the feedback that I have received on it as well as the many positive reviews on Amazon for example would seem to indicate that this was a winning design (or are there some known issues with the slider that I'm unaware of?).

Perhaps I can throw the ball back in your court and ask the Treonauts how they would go about resolving the issue of maintaining the current form factor of the Treo 600/650 but with a 480x320 (or 640x480) screen - this design is the only one that I could come up with so far.

Also, the design of the T7 for example was motivated by my utter frustration of now having a great big screen on my Clie TH-55 but no easy mobile data input device as graffiti is too slow for me and the portable keyboard is not exactly the sort of thing that you can pull at a moment's notice... Why Palm/Sony do not produce snap-on keyboards is really annoying... Then again perhaps I am the only one who thinks that the value of a PDA/Smartphone increases exponentially when it has a proper keyboard...

Looking forward to your thoughts and thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    i wish you were the one making palmone`s designs, wanderman... this is what we are waiting for... innovation. please send in your designs to p1... i think they need a little assistance.. great job!
    Thanks treobk214, this is one of the things that I discussed with the people from PalmSource last week. Namely, the need to generate a pile of new 'reference designs' for PalmPowered devices to get people stimulated by the many unexploited opportunities of using the PalmOS to drive a multitude of new devices (not only smartphones...). As you mention (and I don't know why this is so) some innovation has certainly been lacking of late - at least in this space...

Cheers, W.
    its good to hear you are on a proactive position with palmsource. I hope they are receptive to these ideas, because I think they are the kind that will renew the market interest in the company's products.