1.    #1  
    Since we are getting close to the October 25th release of the 650, I was wondering if anyone has information on an unlocked GSM verion that will be available for purchase from PalmOne or anyone else for that matter. For those of you who purchased an unlocked 600 GSM last year, how soon after the official 600 release was the unlocked version available?
    we dont really know if the 25th date is of any relevance, right now it is just rumors.

another rumor has it that sprint will be the only carrier for a couple of months.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    OK, how soon after the release of the 600 on Sprint last year were unlocked GSM versions available? This should give us an indication of the timeframe for unlocked 650 availability. Also, can any unlocked GSM phone work with a GSM carrier such as T-mobile if you already have a SIM card to use with it?
    FWIW, in the past the Cingular branded versions of Treos have been unlocked.
    It seems like unlocked GSM treos were released at the same time locked versions were released. The GSM's came about 6-8 weeks after the Sprint version.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Well...If Sprint will get the 650 in December, then that means Feb. for a GSM carrier...by then we should be hearing about the new Cobalt devices!!! If I'm gonna have to wait till Feb. for a GSM Treo 650, I may as well just wait a little longer and get a Cobalt smartphone.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Agreed, Paris -

Alot has been said about this, but if P1 takes until Q1 2005 to get GSM units on the street, they will see nothing but a steep downhill spiral from that point on. ~18 months to make the incremental changes from the Treo 600 to the Treo 650 is WAY too slow for this market. Significant innovation is needed more rapidly for P1 to stay in the hunt with MS. . . . IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by daygo718
    OK, how soon after the release of the 600 on Sprint last year were unlocked GSM versions available? This should give us an indication of the timeframe for unlocked 650 availability. Also, can any unlocked GSM phone work with a GSM carrier such as T-mobile if you already have a SIM card to use with it?
    very easy, unlock phone and drop in your sim and go
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  9.    #9  
    very easy, unlock phone and drop in your sim and go
    Do you have full functionality of all the features of the phone on a particular carrier even though the carrier you are using does not offer the phone? Also, can insurance be purchased on an unbranded phone to protect yourself if the phone breaks or gets stolen? I would hate to buy an unlocked phone and not be able to get it serviced or replaced if something happens.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Sprint and Verizon have custom networks, which means you have to get a Sprint/Verizon- branded phone in order to use either one's data service. GSM is standardized, but different carriers have different data capabilities in different areas yada yada.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Sprint and Verizon have custom networks, which means you have to get a Sprint/Verizon- branded phone in order to use either one's data service. GSM is standardized, but different carriers have different data capabilities in different areas yada yada.
    To clarify, Sprint/Verizon use CDMA... which is also a standard, and not exactly a custom network. It is more popular in the USA and Asia. It is possible to use Sprint phones on Verizon -- however, only on 1 band (1900), and only if you can load Verizon PRIs into the Sprint phone through service modes, and only if you can bypass the carrier lock. Both also use standardized high speed networks (1xRTT).

The many different wireless data systems are also standardized... carriers are discouraged from "inventing" their own standards, because handset operators build these devices to accomodate many markets. GSM providers stick with GPRS and EDGE data networks, and currently CDMA providers are using 1xRTT and 1xEVDO. UMTS and WCDMA are also standards (but certainly not ones we'll see on a Treo anytime soon!). These high speed data networks are overlays of existing networks, so as long as the towers are so equipped and your provider allows you to access them, they should work where your phone works.

This is also why these high speed networks are typically more attractive than WiFi, which while "wireless", does force you to stay within the hot spot for wireless access.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    To clarify, Sprint/Verizon use CDMA... which is also a standard, and not exactly a custom network.
    CDMA is a standard, true. Sprint's data network uses CDMA, but the phones are built to Sprint's spec, and Sprint tests and provisions them to work on Sprint's network. It's not plug and play, like it is in the GSM world.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The "locking" usually means that the vendor has custom apps installed on the device. My AT&T Treo 600 has the Office Online app installed on the device. Plus, it's all ready for any data usage. It's setup with the AT&T settings. Cingular and T-Mobile probably have similar stuff on their's. As for Sprint and Verizon, it's been explained above. You can't unlock those phones easily and swap carriers.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    The "locking" usually means that the vendor has custom apps installed on the device. My AT&T Treo 600 has the Office Online app installed on the device. Plus, it's all ready for any data usage. It's setup with the AT&T settings. Cingular and T-Mobile probably have similar stuff on their's. As for Sprint and Verizon, it's been explained above. You can't unlock those phones easily and swap carriers.

Joe

You CAN unblock current 600's quite easily there is instructions to make this happen.

Second UNLOCK means you can only USE THAT CARRIERS SIM card. Although different Carriers do supply different applications this is not the meaning. An unlocked phone (GSM) allows you to change carriers at will.

Dennis
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I know what Unlocking means. I was only stating that it's not easy to use a Sprint phone on Verizon and vice versa. The instructions that someone provided on here weren't pretty.

The guy was asking what's on the unlocked phones, so I answered.
    to make it easy, when you unlock a phone, the cutom things like mmode might not work if you use your phone on cingular, but all of the general functions will work on an unlocked phone
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.