Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    PalmOne just started selling a new "universal" external keyboard, the one using infrared communications.

I'm thinking about buying an external keyboard for my Treo 600. Should I go with the dedicated Treo 600 external keyboard or go with the new wireless device ?

What do you think ?

Thanks,

Gaston
    wirless from thinkoutside.com because it's compatible with a lot of PDA's.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    I'ld definitely go with the wireless version considering PalmOne is also changing the default connector found on the Treo600 in the next version of the Treo 650. A wireless keybord won't become useless as a result...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I bought the new PalmOne Universal wireless keyboard...
    I installed it yesterday on my TREO 600.

When trying to setup the keyboard (Keyboard pgm), as soon as I want to start the application, my TREO 600 just reset.

I called PalmOne (Canadian support) and without any further verification I have been asked to change my TREO 600. It seems to me a lazy solution.

Anybody else with a similar problem ?

Thanks,

Gaston
    I bought the plug-in one for my Treo 600, and I like it. I know it sounds great to buy a wireless one, but they have their own drawbacks.

• First of all the IR port is on the top of the Treo, not the bottom. So you have to use a mirror or flip the screen.
    • They require their own battery power and use up power on the Treo (not sure about how much in relation to serial).
    • After buying a wireless one for my Treo 180, which was a pain to use due to IR port location and flip, it wasn't wasn't even supported for my Treo 600. (I bought the PockeTop, which doesn't have the numeric key row.)

I really prefer my non-wireless one. It is so much like using a laptop keyboard, I haven't even used my laptop in a long time. I use my Treo with keyboard at coffeeshops to shoot off emails or write stuff up and then put everything in my pockets and take off! People still seem surprised to see the tiny phone plugged into an almost full size keyboard.

Hope that helps...

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Quote Originally Posted by huotg01
    I bought the new PalmOne Universal wireless keyboard...
    I installed it yesterday on my TREO 600.

When trying to setup the keyboard (Keyboard pgm), as soon as I want to start the application, my TREO 600 just reset.

I called PalmOne (Canadian support) and without any further verification I have been asked to change my TREO 600. It seems to me a lazy solution.

Anybody else with a similar problem ?

Thanks,

Gaston
    I had the same problem with the software crashing but when I tried to use the keyboard, it worked, just cannot change the settings. I downloaded the universal driver from PalmOne and loaded that, it did not crash but the keyboard did not work either so I went back to the version that came on the CD - continues to crash but the keyboard works. Software-hardware integration at its finest, and that's from the people who make the device. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Bummer. I just ordered mine ($48 + free shipping at Amazon). Maybe they'll fix the problem in the next week?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Just got my PalmOne Universal Wireless Keyboard. Pretty quick considering Amazon still says they don't have it in stock.

Anyway, a couple of comments. I'll post a full review in a bit.

1) based on the issues posted here, I decided to just install the driver off the web, and not use the CD. It did a soft reset after being installed (I don't know if that was on purpose or not). But since then it's worked fine. I've turned the keyboard off and on a couple of times and changed the configuration. It hasn't caused a reset and has worked fine.

2) I don't see much lag in typing

3) I can use my headphones, but the way to make that work is to swivel the headphone adapter so the treo sits on it.

My question/concern: for those of you using the other wireless keyboards: Is this the way you use headphones? If so, have you noticed any issues with the jack being used to support the weight of the treo?

Here's a post from another thread that shows what I'm talking about

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...262#post379262
    Last edited by santa; 11/09/2004 at 05:31 PM.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I just bought an infrared keyboard from Thinkoutside.com - basically have had it in use for 2 days. I like it a lot better than the old Stowaway I used with my HP Jornadas (yes, more than just one). So far the thinkoutside keyboard has not experienced any typing lags and after downloading the most current and Treo specific driver from their website everything works fine. It has a nice solid touch and the keys appear to spaced just fine. As things progress I'll post any change in my opinion.
    Hope this helped - BTW, they're selling for $69.00 but if you do a specific ebay search you can find a "But it Now" auction for $49.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by noisygecko
    I bought the plug-in one for my Treo 600, and I like it. I know it sounds great to buy a wireless one, but they have their own drawbacks.

• First of all the IR port is on the top of the Treo, not the bottom. So you have to use a mirror or flip the screen.
    • They require their own battery power and use up power on the Treo (not sure about how much in relation to serial).
    • After buying a wireless one for my Treo 180, which was a pain to use due to IR port location and flip, it wasn't wasn't even supported for my Treo 600. (I bought the PockeTop, which doesn't have the numeric key row.)
    a mirror!? i have a wireless IR keyboard and i don;t use a mirror or flip the screen lol. The keyboard comes with a wand that extends over the IR port of the PDA/treo.

Having it's own power source means less juice is taken from the treo battery. It is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Your keyboard won't work with the new treo 650. poor you
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    Your keyboard won't work with the new treo 650. poor you
    Just noticed this thread again, and I still don't have a 650. And probably never will. But my keyboard still works fine. Poor me. :-)

-Sim

NoisyGecko